Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Default Re: Insufficient storage available error

I simply cleared the phone's cache. The 'App Cache Cleaner' app makes this very easy. If you don't have it already installed then you are unlikely to be able to install it while you have the 'Insufficient storage available' error. All is not lost as you can clear the cache for individual apps, manually, see Android 201: How (and when) to clear app cache or data | Android Central. You'll have to go through the apps one by one until you have cleared up enough cache.
    Thanked by 2:
    devnullius likes this.

ROM
    Stock/Rooted

Cache Clear is a good app too. Haven't yet tried Cache Cleaner

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk 2

@Ahorman: I made an account just to thank you. Solution works like a charm!

Global Posts
    42 Global Posts

I was having this problem in Cynogen. I upgraded to version 9.1 last week, and since then, the problem has disappeared.

ROM
    CM09/2.6.35.7

Seems like this problem only happens under JB, and since no stable JB's are available yet I assume things like these should be expected.
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #31  

Global Posts
    3,033 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM10

Quote Originally Posted by Robbie Doo View Post
    Seems like this problem only happens under JB, and since no stable JB's are available yet I assume things like these should be expected.
    Unfortunately you would be wrong. It has happened to many on GB and ICS. This thread was started when I was still using GB based roms and progressively got worse. The only thing that solved it for me was to use link2sd. I still only keep about 70MB of internal storage free space but the error occured regardless of free space since I'd get the error when I had as much as 150 or 200MB free. Of course now that I'm on JB I'm having a whole other issue that I'll be posting about in another thread after posting this reply.

Thanks. Clearing data on the apps causing problems sorted it.
    Appreciate you sharing as this bug was getting annoying.
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #33  

Global Posts
    3,033 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM10

The problem crept back in on CM10 (JB) even with link2sd I get the error when space gets below about 90MB (15% free). So far keeping free space above 100MB seems to prevent the error. Before on CM9 I could let free space get below 50MB so that only the big apps that really didn't have enough space to store the download to perform an update to the app being updated would generate the error. So I kept it above 50MB. Some apps I can't store on the SD card even with link2sd as there is a loss in performance for those apps. So far that's not a problem as long as I don't find more apps that work better on internal storage despite the class 10 SD card I have being slightly better performance specs that the internal storage of the epic.

Lightbulb Re: Insufficient storage available error

Quote Originally Posted by jdthepig View Post
    I'm having the exact some problem on HTC amaze running stock HTC sense. Google play support is recommending a factory reset but there has to be an actual solution. I found a similar post where a guy resolved it by using Log Collector or a similar tool to find the error being thrown by the install package then manually correcting it. In has case I believe a temporary file existed in a folder that the install didn't like so he manually deleted the file and the problem was solved. I captured the log of a failed install and found an error but wasn't able to determine how to resolve it. Is anyone out there willing to look at the log to see if they can figure it out?
    [solved] android updating apps gives insufficient free space

I had the same problem as the Stoned Ryno: android updating apps gives insufficient free space error.

For me it was not random, all that couldn't install stayed non-installable. But removing it in Google Play in re-installing worked. Also not a space problem here!

Your remark about a stubborn temp file led me to the following solution: I installed Advanced Mobile Care (IObit) ( https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...2JpbGVjYXJlIl0. ).

I left tasks alone and cleaned cache related items. After this, Google Play would not give errors any more while updating most apps.

Thank you all! :)

Devvie

~~~ notemail@facebook.com ~~~

Cuisvis hominis est errare, nullius nisi insipientis in errore persevare

All spelling mistakes are my own and may only be distributed under the GNU General Public License! ( 95-1 by Coredump; 2-012 by DevNullius)

Just based upon the # of complaints I've see, there are enough people to constitute a class. Regarding damages, there are several ways to prove damages. Like having to replace your phone. Some people actually have business apps on their phones which can't be updated/used causing loss of productivity etc...HTC and TMobile should be ashamed and sued!

Quote Originally Posted by FatMixG View Post
    Just based upon the # of complaints I've see, there are enough people to constitute a class. Regarding damages, there are several ways to prove damages. Like having to replace your phone. Some people actually have business apps on their phones which can't be updated/used causing loss of productivity etc...HTC and TMobile should be ashamed and sued!
    It is a Cache issue. One that can be resolved pretty easilly once one knows what the issue was in the first place. It's just the way it is.
    To become a class, there would have to be proof that a very specific issue affected a certain number of people, and cost them a certain amount in damages. A couple non-updated apps on a smartphone would not make this cut. Any businessman relying THAT much on their phone, and losing that much because of an app install issue, probably won't be in business for very long. Also the license agreements, and your contract, explicitely state that they are not responsible for any losses due to the use or misuse of the device... So that throws it right out the window.

And now the second part of your complaint, about how HTC and TMobile should be ashamed of themselves. Perhaps they should, but you posted your rant in the Epic 4g forum, which is a SAMSUNG device on SPRINT !
    Sprint Galaxy Nexus [stock for now]
    BB 8130, iPhone 4 8g, iPhone 3g 16gb, Toshiba e800, Palm Tungsten T
    [retired]Epic 4g, BB8330, BB 9670, Samsung Intercept, Katana DLX, Sanyo 8400, HTC Wizard, MPX220, and many others...
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #37  

Global Posts
    3,033 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM10

Quote Originally Posted by ratsttam View Post
    It is a Cache issue. One that can be resolved pretty easilly once one knows what the issue was in the first place. It's just the way it is.
    What is the best way to go about clearing up the cache for this issue? I've tried using My Backup root (wipe cache) and link2sd (clear all app cache) and still run into the insufficient storage available error after doing so more times than not. In fact what is really strange on my tablet with CM9 I can have 250MB+ free space and get the error. Even after trying the same cache clearing things on it and what not other troubleshoots for android phone. I don't have an ext4 sd card partition on the tablet since it technically doesn't have an sd card but a fat 32 partition on the same storage device as the internal storage which acts as an sd card.

Quick and dirty solution, expanded from someone else's post in some forum I bumped into:

The Insufficient storage available error seems to be related to Android's failed attempt to install software directly to the phone's internal SD card. If you get the error, try the following (example taken from Samsung menus):
    1. Do Settings -> SD card and phone storage -> Unmount SD card
    2. Re-try to install the software that produced the error message. Android will scratch its head, say hmm, no SD card, and successfully install in phone memory (as long as there's enough free).
    3. Go to Settings and re-mount the SD card
    4. Go to Settings -> Applications -> Manage applications -> "On SD Card" tab
    5. Find the software you just installed and move it to the SD card manually. Sometimes it fails first time around, but works OK afterwards.

It's a pain in the backside to do this rather lengthy procedure, but it appears to work, and you don't need root, additional software or rummaging around in the system innards. But it gets ever worse:

Sometimes the message appears when trying to apply an update to existing software. This I haven't yet tried since learning the unmount/mount trick, but I assume you need to do the following:
    1. Try to apply all the updates currently waiting. Some may succeed and some may fail. Make a note of the failed ones.
    2. Go to Settings -> Applications -> Manage applications -> "On SD Card" tab
    3. Move the failed update apps back to the phone.
    4. Do Settings -> SD card and phone storage -> Unmount SD card
    5. Apply the updates. Hopefully the same trick should work here, too.
    6. Re-mount the SD card and move the software back onto it as described above.

It is preferable not to make the mistake of installing software to phone memory when it's already installed on the SD card. This causes a mess.
    Did I already mention the pain the backside? Oh well... But at least it works, and that's better than cursing the phone and putting up with its bugs.

With the small internal storage you have on the Epic 4g, it is easy to fill it up. I suggest moving apps that are able to be moved, over to the SD card. (get a big one if you love apps, I have a 32g) Apps that are unable to be moved, check out Link2SD.

For cleaning the SD card, use SD Maid
    For cleaning cache in general, I use Clean Master.
    Thanked by:

I had the same problem on my Galaxy Tab 2 (rooted). I think it happened after I tried Link2SD.
    Any way the solution was to download and enter "Terminal Emulator", execute 'su', execute "pm set-install-location 0". This sets it up as 'auto'. It was set to '2' (external).
    I believe the problem is that the GT2 has an internal 'SDCard' and an external "extSDCard" and there is some kind of confusion between them in the OS (4.1.1 Ice Creme Sandwich)
    Thanked by 3:

Quote Originally Posted by fwuts View Post
    I had the same problem on my Galaxy Tab 2 (rooted). I think it happened after I tried Link2SD.
    Any way the solution was to download and enter "Terminal Emulator", execute 'su', execute "pm set-install-location 0". This sets it up as 'auto'. It was set to '2' (external).
    I believe the problem is that the GT2 has an internal 'SDCard' and an external "extSDCard" and there is some kind of confusion between them in the OS (4.1.1 Ice Creme Sandwich)
    Thank you so much! My situation was exactly the same as yours, right down to the device (rooted) and firmware. Link2SD can kiss my a**. Again, thank you this solved the problem immediately. I was not looking forward to a full restore.

OMG you are awesome. This fixed my problem. Your the best.

Thumbs up Re: Insufficient storage available error

I joined the forum to simply say "Thank You!" . Your advice was spot on. I did what you instructed and my insufficient storage nightmare ceased. Thanks again.

The app cache cleaner worked for me after spending a lot of time on solutions that didn't work. Of note in my case, the app cache cleaner showed my google chrome had over 100 meg of cache being used which is probably why the problem with insufficient storage just occured when I had made no changes on the system. Thanks...

Thanks for posting your solution. I've been looking all over the net for a solution to this same problem except I own a Acer A500. I deleted a lot of apps and cleared data and cache with 10 GB free in internal . I could not update Gmail and a few other apps and also could not install new apps. No other solutions worked for me except for this one. Thanks again.

my problem solved after factory reset..

I have the same problem but the error on my gt2 is it cannot read the external card. My tab is rooted and i have link2sd with 2partition sd card. while creating link using link2sd it suddenly stopped and my clean master app is nowhere to be found. then i tried rebooting my tab and now my sdcard cannot be mounted.it says "sd card is blank or has unsupported file system..does this terminal emulator can fix my problem? and do i need to have 2partition sdcard as well using terminal emulator? thanks!

Yes

Quote Originally Posted by StoneRyno View Post
    The error mainly occurs when trying to install an update to an app already installed. The problem occurred on the android market branded app and continues with the new google play store branded app. I have been trying to find a total solution to this problem but have had no luck. I have found plenty of complaints on the issue using google search and even some threads in different phones section here but nothing definitive in solving the problem. The amount of free space is not relevant to the problem as the message occurs no matter how much free space there is. And also other apps update and install without the error with the same amount of free space available and during the same time frame as the apps that the error occurs with. When the problem first began a simple reboot would correct it. Then the problem got worse and that was not enough and the google play store data had to be cleared to correct it. Then got worse and both things had to be done to correct that. Now even doing both of those things doesn't correct the problem any more. The problem persists even after flashing again from a clean wipe.

Please help me i dont know how to do this stuff and i have the problem im trying to download a messaging devise
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast