TIME TO UPGRADE (still onFroyo) HELP

Android Lloyd

Nov 23, 2010
Visit site
It's been well over a year since I rooted and upgraded from Eclair to Froyo (Odin) and it's way past time to upgrade again but I haven't kept up with all the changes and just can't figure where to go from here. I've read so much about EL30, FC09, CM9, MTD, BML that now I'm confused. :confused: Here's my current stats:

Firmware 2.2.1
modem : EC05
Clockwork Mod 3.0.2.5 (orange)
EXT4 filesystem
DRockstar Clean Kernel
Ace ROM v2.0

If someone could just tell me the steps or even just point me in the right direction to upgrade to something stable (Where wifi, bluetooth, GPS,etc all work) I'd really appreciate it. Thanks in advance !

ratsttam

May 17, 2010
Visit site
What do you want from your phone? If you want stock (rooted?), than FC09 would be your best bet. Use the odin package and you'll get the FC09 modem in the same shot. GB has made great improvements over Froyo.

If you want something much faster and more customizable, than running one of the Cyanogen roms is great.

Let me try to explan what some of the terms you're looking at:
FC09 (latest official Touchwiz based rom), EC05, etc... (older official updates)

BML. Stock partition scheme. Leaves a hidden /cache partition used for downloading updates. Can be either EXT4 or the standard RFS file system.

MTD. Newer partition scheme. Uses a YAFFS (Did I get those right), that's as safe as RFS, faster, and does not have a /cache partition, leaving more room in the /data partition (where you would install user apps.)

I would read up on the different roms, and choose one that uses the MTD partition.

CM7, CM9, AOKP, MIUI, are all roms using MTD (there are also some user made roms by the staple developers around here. Some will leave you on BML, others will convert. Read each one and see what gives you the mix of features that would work for you.

I personally am running CM9-Beta2, and it runs fantastic on the Epic. It's not without it's flaws, and they are explained clearly in the "status" page. AOKP is another ICS based rom, but I have not personally tried to run it.
CM7 is pretty well polished, and officially supported on the Epic.
The Touchwiz framewok based roms (clean rom, Ace, and all the others) are generally the highest functioning, since they are based off the official roms and kernels.

Android Lloyd

Nov 23, 2010
Visit site
Thanks, Ratsttam. I was thinking something faster and customizable like CM9, and from what I've read, everyone seems to like it, so I do think that's what I'll do.

So from where I am now what would be the proper order and steps to take ?

Thanks again. The Android community is always so helpful.

ratsttam

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Thanks, Ratsttam. I was thinking something faster and customizable like CM9, and from what I've read, everyone seems to like it, so I do think that's what I'll do.

So from where I am now what would be the proper order and steps to take ?

Thanks again. The Android community is always so helpful.

I won't even try to go over the steps. But I'll do you one better.

Go HERE:
Cyanogenmod Epic 4G: CM9 Install Guide

It's the OFFICIAL install guide for CM9 on the Epic4g ;)
The status page will tell you what works and what doesn't (not much doesn't).

Reactions: Android Lloyd

jmuru

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
Nice. Welcome to ICS. It's a brave new world, and it's full of pleasant surprises :)

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk 2