Stopping FC 09 notification

gurubone

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
I'm rooted, and flashed the "unofficial" FC09 modem a couple of weeks ago. Sprint pushed the OTA (I have no idea how, post-boot) and now I constantly get the install notification. I tried re-flashing the "unofficial", still get the notification. I even tried to install the OTA, and all it does is reboot the phone and leaves the Android + ! pic, and does nothing. I am forced to reboot into recovery to go back in, and the notification comes back. Any suggestions?

Zeinzu

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
The modem has nothing to do with it. If your build.prop doesn't read FC09 it will continue to attempt to push the update.

Sent from my SPH-D700 CM9 ANDROID 4.0.4

Zeinzu

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
The FC09 update is an entire build. They don't release "just" a modem update.

bradleypariah

Aug 4, 2011
Visit site
For what it's worth, I may not know as much about this is you guys do, but I just installed Thunderhawk V, which is FC09-based. I haven't gotten any more update notifications for a couple days.

That may not be the technical solution you were looking for, but I like switching things up a lot, so I don't mind doing a total wipe and re-install whenever small issues arise.

gurubone

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
So what did I flash when I used the XDA's EL30 to FC09 zip? And if I did that, (and it said successful) why didn't the build number change? So even though my base says FC09, I'm not really running that? I'm confused.

Zeinzu

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
So what did I flash when I used the XDA's EL30 to FC09 zip? And if I did that, (and it said successful) why didn't the build number change? So even though my base says FC09, I'm not really running that? I'm confused.

You flashed a modem update ripped from the full system update. Baseband is your modem. FC09 is an entire build not "just" a modem. OTA updates check your build.prop to see which system build your on, not your modem. You either have to flash a rom based on FC09 or manually go in and edit everything in your build.prop to read FC09 anywhere is states EL30 if you wish to remain on what your using now without getting the notification to update.

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
My wife's phone had the same issue. To resolve it I downloaded a copy of the full FC09 update from XDA, made Nandroid backup of rooted EL30, Odined to stock FC09, rooted updated FC09 version, then did Nandroid Advanced restore of data only. Worked perfectly. Recovered all SMS messages, contacts and applications. It's my understanding that as long as you use the same file system, which EL30 and FC09 do, you will have no trouble doing a data restore. Hope this helps.

And by the way, I am new to some of this stuff, so if I am incorrect, please correct me.

Carl

Last edited:

gurubone

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
If I DL the "Official" from XDA, I can't flash that right over what I have now? (Which is just the modem part of FC09) If I apply the "Official" over my current setup, I shouldn't have any problems, correct? I'm also pretty new to the actions of these things. I've been reading all the forums for a while, but I get lost when the shorthand comes out. My Palm was never this difficult to do things with.

Zeinzu

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
If I DL the "Official" from XDA, I can't flash that right over what I have now? (Which is just the modem part of FC09) If I apply the "Official" over my current setup, I shouldn't have any problems, correct? I'm also pretty new to the actions of these things. I've been reading all the forums for a while, but I get lost when the shorthand comes out. My Palm was never this difficult to do things with.

The tar wipes everything so it doesn't matter what you have on it now. The only thing that would matter is if your on MTD you would need to repartition as well when you install the tar. Otherwise you just install with odin, it wipes everything, and you start over fresh with the new system.

Reactions: gurubone
Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
As I understand it, you are currently rooted on EL30 and have flashed the FC09 modem. If you want to update to FC09 and keep your current data (messages, contacts, applications) do the following:

1) download the FC09 tar file from link above to your computer.

2) go into clockwork mod recovery and do a Nandroid backup of your current configuration.

3) Odin the FC09 tar as instructed on above mentioned link. You should be on the same file format for both systems(EL30 and FC09), but it won't hurt to check the "re-partition" box as you are wiping the previous system anyway.

4) Root your phone (the same method you previously used to root EL30)

5) Go into clockwork mod recovery and do advanced data recovery only.

You should then be on FC09 everything, rooted and have all of your old data and programs.

Carl

Reactions: gurubone

gurubone

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
Thank you folks! I did this yesterday, and now no notifications! Although, the battery seems to be running down faster, but oh well I usually near a charger anyways. But a sincere thanks!

boocephus

Oct 31, 2011
Visit site
My wife's phone had the same issue. To resolve it I downloaded a copy of the full FC09 update from XDA, made Nandroid backup of rooted EL30, Odined to stock FC09, rooted updated FC09 version, then did Nandroid Advanced restore of data only. Worked perfectly. Recovered all SMS messages, contacts and applications. It's my understanding that as long as you use the same file system, which EL30 and FC09 do, you will have no trouble doing a data restore. Hope this helps.

And by the way, I am new to some of this stuff, so if I am incorrect, please correct me.

Carl

Carl, this worked just as stated. I set aside some time and fixed my phone last night. The first attempt, Odin biffed at "Factory NFS" or something. I made the mistake of yanking the USB cable and then it wouldn't power on at all. I forget exactly what it was I did to get it to wake up after that, but I was sweating bullets for a little while. If that stage of the operation takes more than a few minutes, it's wadded up. You need to try again.

BTW I was using the cleanGB version before i started. I let it "repartition" which apparently you have to know what you're doing so you don't screw things up. I got lucky and didn't know what I was doing, but didn't break anything.

I got the files from "*OFFICIAL* SPH-D700-FC09-8Gb-REL.tar.md5 - xda-developers". I did do the Nandroid backup. (in case you don't know, power off, then power on with vol down, camera, power. Choose backup (I think) and create one.) After loading the stock image, it rebooted and was back to factory (desert rock wallpaper. Sprint crap on the home screen). I then applied the same SU file I already had from before, did the Nandroid advanced restore / data only, and it came up with all my apps and with my wallpaper and most of my settings. However, Juice defender didn't keep my options and I had to re-apply them.

There is a video in that xda developers thread that is pretty straight forward.

So, to summarize, what you are doing is backing up your applications and settings (nandroid), loading the Sprint build that you'd have if you were stock and gotten the over the air update (which unroots you), then re-rooting and restoring that backup. You don't lose anything. You don't have to use titanium backup to restore. you don't have to go to google play and download anything.

Thanks a lot, carl for the straightforward explanation.

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
I am glad it worked for you. I simply described what worked for me.

One thing that needs to be re-mentioned is that the Nandroid data restore ONLY works correctly when the file systems restored to and from are the same (BML to BML; MTD to MTD, etc; I have more to learn about these). Otherwise all bets are off. But that was the case in this case.

Carl

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
asha_kanta_sharma