What's so great about rooting?

boocephus

Oct 31, 2011
Visit site
I had my phone for a while before I considered rooting. The first issue that came up that pushed me in that direction was fixing the GPS. It was pretty aggravating when Sprint's update broke it. I read life hacker's "Why to root". One thing it said was that downloading Ad Free was cool. I also could tie into this great underlying functionality for using tasker. I could delete all those crappy Sprint apps. I could get better battery life by freezing apps.

But the truth is, it's been a hassle. First off, the GPS fix thing apparently doesn't work. I was traveling for work the past few weeks and the thing lost GPS several times. I think it was actually related to the charging plug being connected. The battery life still sucks even with $5 worth of battery defender. I never could think of anything cool to do with tasker. All I can figure out that adfree did was get rid of the banners on a couple games that my kids downloaded on my phone.

There was an update from sprint that came out several months ago. I guess it was the update to gingerbread. There were still enough propeller heads with Epic 4gs around that had interest and put out an update for my rooted phone so I could go on. That was cool. But this time, I haven't really been able to make heads or tails of what I have to do to get this stupid thing to stop telling me that I have an update coming. It's really neat when it tells you every 2 minutes while you're navigating across DC at 330 in the afternoon.

Now, I'm not ing. This is a confession really. My wife got a samsung tab and I told her that she needed to root her GalaxyS II so she could wifi tether without having to pay sprint $30/month. But the truth is, I am not looking forward to listening to her gripe when she starts getting updates pushed and I can't figure out how to squelch them.

I thought I was a tinkerer guy who would dig on having my h4x0red phone. But, I'm just like everyone else. I just want it to work. i want the battery to last all day. I want the GPS to work. I want emails to make it out of the outbox. Sucks that none of those things happened right out of the sprint box. Nor apparently with my meager skills as a phone rooter.

Reactions: copernicus

Zeinzu

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
The things you want to do are not difficult at all, you just need to do more reading and learn a bit. Some of it just comes from experience of doing it a lot. The resources your looking for aren't really available here. Try XDA-Developers.

And to answer your question about what is so great about rooting in the most simplistic way I can put it...

Complete control.

Personally my phone runs great. I don't however use the stock firmware or even one based off of it, so I get no "updates" and any updates that come through the stock firmware are outdated anyway as I'm running Android 4.0.4 on my Epic.

Sent from my SPH-D700 CM9 ANDROID 4.0.4

Robbie Doo

Nov 10, 2010
Visit site
After rooting your phone did you get your own rom or just left it at that?

The control Zeinzu is talking about is more for tech people than users.

daehttub

Nov 4, 2011
Visit site
Z is saying that his rooted Epic 4g is running Ice Cream Sandwich and is WORKING. I'm getting very tired of buggy gingerbread updates. I am a bit too busy to take the CM9/ICS/root plunge right now but I think I will as soon as I get the chance.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk 2

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
What is rooting...

Rooting is as dmmarck said, taking control of your device...

Want to dump that bloatware? Root it.

Want to have the ability to do a full system image or backup in case of the occasional crash or unknown borked system? Root it and make a Nandroid Backup in your custom recovery (CWM/TWRP)

Want to be able to save your Angry Bird cheevios and other games, even your apps important data? Root it.. Use My Backup or Titanium backup to do full or individual app & data backup/restores.

Free wireless tethering? Root it.

Custom ROM's that give you options that you don't get with normal stock OS? This varies by ROMs but most common are Reboot options from shutdown, more extensive selection of options/toggle widgets from your notification pulldown. Various tweaks, etc. that devs have done to improve what Sammy/Sprint have called "finished product"

Give yourself a theme options you can't get with 3rd party launchers, etc like ADW or Launcher Pro, GO Launcher...

Want better battery life or the option to speed up your device for more responsive gaming? Root it and install a custom kernel

Rooting has so many pros that its really hard to find a negative. Most that take the step forward never return to running stock again. If the instructions are followed carefully, you can get it done in normally 5-10 minutes once downloading the required files to do the rooting process.

More help is readily available from our Rooting and Hacking section here in the Epic 4g subforum.

Good luck!

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
Not to mention, it's an exceptional hobby and past time. It's great chatting with others about different roms, different setups, different kernels, etc. etc.

Windfrenzy

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
My old Epic 4G has Android 4.0.4 on it. It has a newer OS on it than my coworker's Motorola Atrix. Putting new ROMs on makes me feel like I got a new phone. The thing that drove me to it initially was just to be able to back everything up. Then SamSprint was slow with the updates and I turned to custom ROMs.

GrooveRite

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
Because it has prolonged the life of my Epic 4G! Like Windfrenzy said, it makes me feel like I got a new phone, REALLY!! You have to have patience for this. If you run into problems, you read and ask around if you can't find it, pretty simple! If you are of the impatient type....rooting IS NOT for you! Go with an i-slave.....i mean i-phone. It will just work and you won't have to worry about anything and get spoon fed. Just being honest!

tungsten

Mar 3, 2011
Visit site
I rooted my device the 3 day. I have everything original rom except that I am rooted. I never have any problems, I have sync off (only turn it on to download free software from google store and then turn it back off. I use SD maid, titanium back up, free wifi tether, adjust CPU speed etc etc etc.

I dont know what an add banner is because I never had one. overall m phone is great and I love to be able to use what ever i want on it without limitations.

SUPER USER is great.
Now as far as battery life. My experience is that something you loaded is sucking juice like crazy.

Itemize all your apps back them up with titanium and remove one by one untill your power consumption is down. Now I usually get 6 to 7 hours before charge, this process of elimination will take a while but eventually the app that is sucking power will be discovered.

Usually all this apps that tell you instant information like weather, stocks etc are power happy, all the apps like dog that keep track of cpu usage etc like power.

I use green power but for the only reason that set up proprelly will connect your WFI and or 3/4 G automatically for you.
If you walk into a WIFI zone and you set it up in your phone next time the phne will automatically connect . Green power does this very efficiently.

hope this helps

georich868

Nov 13, 2011
Visit site
I first rooted for the free hotspot capability. Then found that I could freeze those garbage apps that Sprint decided I had to have. Then I discovered custom ROMs and I haven't looked back. Now I'm running Android 4.0.4 (which was not even supposed to be possible) and when I want to change the look and feel of my experience with the device, I can. If I'm not getting a decent Sprint signal (lord knows that's a common occurrence) I make about 3 clicks and I force roaming to a Verizon signal (Roam Control). Need a little performance boost? Overclock. Need to save some battery? Undervolt. Want the latest updates? I do it. Don't want 'em? Don't do it. Feel I'm getting a poor experience with the latest modem? Change to an older one. Don't want ads? Block 'em.

Root and the installation of tools like ROM Toolbox, Titanium Backup, Root File Explorer, etc. give me (a real noob, by the way) pretty much complete control over my device. A TWO YEAR OLD DEVICE that performs like a champ. So...what's NOT so great about rooting might be a better question.

boocephus

Oct 31, 2011
Visit site
Hey

I still am on the fence with my rooting experience. I did finally set aside some time yesterday to fix my phone. I got the sprint update applied and re-rooted it so I could enjoy some of the benefits mentioned here.

But, I am trying to be honest with myself and what it is that I expect from my smart phone. When I see someone say they want "total control" I have to laugh. Hell no. I want the phone to do the heavy lifting. I don't want another system that I have to dick with all the time to keep it running. I want it to do my bidding. But I don't have interest in hooking it up to my computer and screwing around with it once a week or once a month. (Full disclosure: Once every 3 months was a pain in the arse to me.)

So, in reflecting on my rooting experience, I did get Gingerbread early. I did get my gps fixed for a while. And the only real negative was this latest push from sprint that I was having trouble with.

Once the update was applied, I see improved battery life from what I was getting with juice defender, CPUspy, freezing sprint bloatware, etc. The locations I work at tend to be "fortified" and I deal with sh itty signal constantly. This new update looks like it isn't trying so hard to connect and the battery use reflects that.

rando991

Sep 21, 2010
Visit site
Also, I like to be able to force Roaming when I'm not near a Sprint Tower, like when camping. If you let it stay in auto, it will roam, but it will continue to search for a Sprint tower that is not there. So, this saves battery life when forced to roam. I use Titanium Backup every day.

Brandon489

Jul 21, 2012
Visit site
Rooting allows you to get rid of the crap bloatware especially sprints redneck pack, ie sprint nascar.......( nothing against rednecks lol). I am also using tasker which allows you to control anything with anything. I have my wifi turn on at 5pm and turn off at 5am, I have my 3g turn off when I lock my phone and turn back on when I unlock, gps turns on when I open google maps and turns off when I close, music auto loads when I plug in my headphones..... I could go on and on.

Reactions: rando991

jaredw444

Jun 8, 2012
Visit site
Plus if your a game freak like me, there's game emulators, I'm able to play full snes, game boy, n64, Atari games on my phone. Sometimes nothing beats original Mario. And the look on peoples faces when they see you playing it on a phone:D

plays by prison rules

Brandon489

Jul 21, 2012
Visit site
I agree jared I like the emus as well. I would say for the epic 4gs case the biggest reason to root is because the epic 4g will never go beyond gingerbread without rooting. ICS is the biggest upgrade in an os android has ever had imo. CM9 is a beast of a rom.