[SOLVED/RECTIFIED] Installed leaked 2.2, but......

tahx

Jun 10, 2012
Visit site
I got my phone March of '11. It had 2.1 , and I heard I could find 2.2 online. I did, installed it, found it was kind of buggy.

Rather than do it manually, I'd like to auto-update to 2.3 through Sprint, but it won't. From what I've read, I can flash back to 2.1 .

- do I have to back up first?

- if I've gone to that trouble, should I just update to 4.0?....or what's the latest version I can do with this phone?

Last edited:

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Re: Installed leaked 2.2, but......

Officially Epic 4g is updated to Android v2.3.6 Gingerbread.

Unofficially by means of rooting you can put CM 9 (Android 4.x Ice Cream Sandwich) on your device.

Whatever means you achieved to get v2.2 on your device, if it isn't allowing you to update the device OTA or by manual update through settings then you will need to use Odin and flash your device to an officially supported version/update. Currently you can flash right up to official Android v2.3.6 FC09 Gingerbread.

Follow the link below and choice the first procedure...

[How to] Factory Restore (or Fix a Bricked Phone)

tahx

Jun 10, 2012
Visit site

You didn't answer my question about needing to back up my apps, etc, etc. Now all my sh*t is gone. All my contacts are gone. Which is what I'd thought would happen. Fahck........

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site

You didn't answer my question about needing to back up my apps, etc, etc. Now all my [deleted] is gone. All my contacts are gone. Which is what I'd thought would happen. Fahck........

First, I apologize for not making that perfectly clear about Odin wiping the device but at the same time the title of the thread I sent you to is also "How to Factory Restore...." So given that title it basically tells you its restoring back to factory as it would be when you purchased the device..

Second, if you had any doubt you should of waited and asked the question again to confirm before moving ahead.. Biggest rule of thumb, when in doubt stop and ask before proceeding forward with ANYTHING concerning resetting/restoring or rooting/hacking of your device.

As for your contacts and such, the only way you would of been able to backup your device is if it was rooted. Your contacts on the other hand should of been synced with your Gmail account and restored once back up and moving again. This is always set to "on/sync" from the factory so unless you changed it somewhere along the way it should of been synced.

Again, I due take some blame for not making it clearer about the wiping of the device using Odin but like I said the title of the thread is self explanatory at least I thought it was for the last 2 years we've had it...

Just for future reference the ONLY time that an update/upgrade to newer version of OS will NOT wipe your device is when it is official OTA from the carrier (unless otherwise stated).

tahx

Jun 10, 2012
Visit site

No, no blame on you, I was just yelling about it. I was a little trigger-itchy, and was hoping it would keep my stuff. I keep my phone and email contacts separate. I should've gone all the way, and rooted so that I could've backed up my stuff.

[later] Yeah, I'm a dumbass and should've looked for something like....wait for it.....GoBackup. And rooted my phone of course. Jeez.

On that note.....now that I have the official Gingerbread, will the next OS update for the Epic (if there is one) be available to me, so that I don't have to do it manually?

Last edited:

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
No problem. Everyone has been down the road of freaking out before ;)

Yes now your on official OS, any further ota updates will come your way.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Android Central Forums

tahx

Jun 10, 2012
Visit site

I'm a little confused about rooting, though. I looked at your Epic root thread. Since I'm on stock now, I'd have to re-flash to be able to root? (I mainly want ad-free to work.)

ratsttam

May 17, 2010
Visit site

I'm a little confused about rooting, though. I looked at your Epic root thread. Since I'm on stock now, I'd have to re-flash to be able to root? (I mainly want ad-free to work.)

There is an odin package to install the new Clockwork Mod recovery. I believe that package also roots the system (if not, CWM will let you flash root into your phone). You'll then be considered "Stock/Rooted" as you have the official firmware, with root privileges on top of that. Once you have the clockwork mod recovery, you can do full backups, restore, roms, tweaks, etc.

I'm at work right now, but I'll dig up a link to the rooting directions when I get home. Others are welcome to chime in with that link first ;)

boocephus

Oct 31, 2011
Visit site

Unofficially by means of rooting you can put CM 9 (Android 4.x Ice Cream Sandwich) on your device.

Just to clarify, if I went the unofficial route and put CM9 on my phone, a nandroid backup and titanium wouldn't retain my apps. Correct? I did the fc09 stock flash and re-rooted and it was like nothing happened, really. easy peasy.

To be honest, I have been a little dissatisfied with the stock fc09 build. I have had my phone reboot a half dozen times since. That sprint connection manager thing seemed to be working better before, but now it doesn't seem to switch to wifi when i am at home. The phone gets really confused when on 4g and I lose connection.

i know this belongs in the rooting section, but a simple question might get lost in the bigger brain talk.

ratsttam

May 17, 2010
Visit site

Just to clarify, if I went the unofficial route and put CM9 on my phone, a nandroid backup and titanium wouldn't retain my apps. Correct? I did the fc09 stock flash and re-rooted and it was like nothing happened, really. easy peasy.

To be honest, I have been a little dissatisfied with the stock fc09 build. I have had my phone reboot a half dozen times since. That sprint connection manager thing seemed to be working better before, but now it doesn't seem to switch to wifi when i am at home. The phone gets really confused when on 4g and I lose connection.

i know this belongs in the rooting section, but a simple question might get lost in the bigger brain talk.

A Nandroid will let you quickly roll back to what you had before you installed. Titanium will let you quickly reinstall your apps, but the data will likely be unusable in ICS (lose progress in Angry Birds for example).

It's not normal for FC09 to act up the way you describe, and it's likely due to a bad flash of the OS onto your phone. I have been running the stock rooted FC09 on the MTD partition, and it's been rock solid for me, quickly switch to wifi at home, long battery life, and only reboot when I feel like tinkering with something else. I would make a backup in titanium, reflash the OS in ODIN, re-root, and reinstall your programs one by one to see if the instability comes back. Once they are installed, than you can restore the data on a per program basis until something goes bad. Then you know what NOT to install again. It's a bit time consuming, but it'll leave you with the most stable experience in the long run.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site

ratsttam seems to have you covered. I will let him handle it from here, he's a great go to guy for this stuff.. I'll admit since I don't rock the Epic anymore its hard for me to stay on top of the latest & greatest.

Reactions: ratsttam

ratsttam

May 17, 2010
Visit site

ratsttam seems to have you covered. I will let him handle it from here, he's a great go to guy for this stuff.. I'll admit since I don't rock the Epic anymore its hard for me to stay on top of the latest & greatest.

I will apologize if my answers seem a little rambly. I do this while at work ;) and sometimes get a bit distracted in my thoughts. Please let me know if anything I said doesn't make sense, of if you just want a little more clarification on anything.

tahx

Jun 10, 2012
Visit site

That is exactly what I was thinking of. ODIN to put CWM as the recovery, and CWM to install root ;)

The reasons I thought you didn't mean that thread are:

- it says the rooting will invalidate the warranty. By 'stock/rooted' I was thinking maybe you meant there was a kind of rooting that didn't.

- I don't know all the jargon, but in that thread it looks like one is doing more than rooting, but actually installing a fresh OS. I've already done this, and don't want to have to hassle with that.

- supplemental: did we get screwed in Gingerbread on camera shutter sounds?...that is, there's now no option to turn it OFF.

ratsttam

May 17, 2010
Visit site
The reasons I thought you didn't mean that thread are:

- it says the rooting will invalidate the warranty. By 'stock/rooted' I was thinking maybe you meant there was a kind of rooting that didn't.

- I don't know all the jargon, but in that thread it looks like one is doing more than rooting, but actually installing a fresh OS. I've already done this, and don't want to have to hassle with that.

- supplemental: did we get screwed in Gingerbread on camera shutter sounds?...that is, there's now no option to turn it OFF.

1: rooting will void your warranty, if sprint finds out. Basically if you are having an issue you believe to be hardware and want to bring it to the service center, first ODIN back to full stock. If the issue is gone, great. If it persists, just tell 'em that you factory restored. No sign of root ;-) at that point. If you somehow manage to fully brick it (very difficult to do) they wont know what you did. Just tell them it shut down and wont power back up...

2: a: there is full stock, as it came from sprint.
B: Stock/rooted is the unchanged OS, with CWM and SuperUser installed. Good for stock appearance and performance with root only apps (titanium backup, wifi tether, etc...)
C: rommed, could be a stock-ish but with under the hood mods like a switch to the MTD file system, or changed kernels for performance or battery life tweaks, all the way up to roms like CM9 to get ICS installed. I hope all that is clear enough.
D: glossery: CWM is the advanced recovery.
Root is nothing more than superuser privilages
Kernel is the inner workings of the OS, the engine if you will.
Rom is typically a full package of kernel and OS/apps. The whole car, seats, radio, etc. May not always contain a kernel, pick your own engine...

3: yep. The stock camera app removed silent mode with 2.2, some say to comply with privacy regulations. There are other cameras you can install even on stock that have silent mode so not that big of a deal i guess.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Android Central Forums

tahx

Jun 10, 2012
Visit site

I understand partitioning and such on PCs. I don't know why they still don't factory partition system and data. LAME. Anyways, haven't gotten to this yet because the Samsung USB drivers don't work on this rig......... I tell ya, the swype on Gingerbread sucks my sphinc hole.

boocephus

Oct 31, 2011
Visit site

A Nandroid will let you quickly roll back to what you had before you installed. Titanium will let you quickly reinstall your apps, but the data will likely be unusable in ICS (lose progress in Angry Birds for example).

It's not normal for FC09 to act up the way you describe, and it's likely due to a bad flash of the OS onto your phone.

I don't have any games installed. Actually, I don't really have that many apps at all. I have battery spy and cpu spy. System tuner. Traffic monitor. Antennas. Tasker. juice defender. Titanium BU. It's all stuff that I have used to figure out why my battery life sucks really. I think if anything it started going to sh*t when I used juice defender and system tuner to try to keep apps from waking my phone up every 15 minutes. The other thing was wifi tether and foxfi. I think those conflict with the new sprint connection manager that came with fc09. My wife got a galaxy tab2 and I was trying to tether it to my phone and lots of weird stuff happened. It got wadded up and I had to reboot my phone before I could even connect to my home wifi.

The one thing I'll say for connection manager, it has allowed me to utilize 4g much more than before. I never turned it on because it mostly seemed to not work. Now I see it's on alot. I haven't quite figured out why the wifi isn't coming on like it should.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Landers2