think i bricked my phone, please help

Lakhota

Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
@dpass,

ekincaid is right, very hard to brick an epic....still, make sure both your device + pc batteries are at least 50% (just in case), + you would be well advised to acquire a Blackberry microUSB cable as there is a high probability that your stock samsung mUSB will cause issues.....just sayin' :)

As for your install from stock FC09 Gingerbread to CM9_beta4 ICS Android 4.0.4, the following is a very brief how-to.....trust me, there are several other ways to do this but this is fairly generic:

[1] See links below, download necessary files to pc + place CM9_beta4 file into your downloads folder on microSD Card (this requires you to connect your device to pc, ensuring all necessary drivers are in place for your upcoming session w/ ODIN; .....also, give the ODIN thread a good read, then:

[*] BACKUP
[2] Power OFF device
[3] Device to Download Mode by pressing '1' + Power Button at same time
[4] Open ODIN on your pc, connect device to pc using mUSB cable, make sure ODIN detects your device as connected
[5] ODIN CWM5.0.2.7 Recovery (place 'CWM5.0.2.7' file in 'PDA' slot + select 'PDA' ONLY, do not select 'autoreboot' then click START.......await for ODIN to complete cycle (**DO NOT STOP this process, as this could very well brick your device**)
[6] when CWM install is complete > disconnect device from PC > pull battery from device for a few seconds, place battery back into slot
[7] then 3-finger boot to CWM Recovery ('down' button, 'camera' button + 'power' button simultaneously....then from CWM Recovery:
[9] flash CM9beta4 by (this will modify your CWM to 5.5.0.4 MTD + establish SU root)
[10] while still in CWM Recovery, after CM9_beta4 install completes........flash GApps20120429 file
[11] boot to system
[12] CM9_beta4: establish gmail settings + if you have apps stored on PlayStore......from PlayStore, install selected apps one-by-one (play store/menu/MyApps).............etcetera.

CWMv5.0.2.7 is here:
[RECOVERY] ClockworkMod 5.0.2.7 BML Officially supported by ROM Manager for Epic 4G - xda-developers

:D

I got to part 6 and it said success on ODIN and when I pulled the battery to do the 3 button press, it doesnt do anything. The phone is completely dead now and nothing turns it on, what can I do?

Lakhota

Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
Got CM9 working, runs great!

Did a few things wrong on rooting so I flashed back to stock and tried again and got it working. All it took for it to turn on again was to pull the battery AND the SD Card and doing the 1+power. Just posting this in case someone does the same dumb mistake as me.

Reactions: rando991

sonarchist

Oct 12, 2010
Visit site
Got CM9 working, runs great!

Did a few things wrong on rooting so I flashed back to stock and tried again and got it working. All it took for it to turn on again was to pull the battery AND the SD Card and doing the 1+power. Just posting this in case someone does the same dumb mistake as me.

Pray tell...........what went wrong?

Sent from today's android 4.0.4

Lakhota

Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
Pray tell...........what went wrong?

Sent from today's android 4.0.4

Well, I've only rooted a couple devices in the past so I'm no expert on it by any means. I was a bit lazy and didn't read the correct guide on rooting the phone. I was using ODIN to flash CWM and had skipped a couple steps earlier when I was suppose to flash the correct kernel. Also, I think I had the wrong checkboxes checked. I couldnt get CWM to flash and decided to add the victory pit thing to see if it would install. It said it installed but would not boot into it haha. Guess that's why its important to read the stickies THOROUGHLY before attempting anything. Luckily, I was able to recover :)

Reactions: rando991

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andrewsmith