Argh, kernel/root problems

Daegul

Jul 7, 2011
Visit site
So, following instructions in the root thread, I flashed to kernel-GB-3a.tar.md5. ODIN passed it and phone rebooted to the black&white SAMSUNG screen, the 4 navigation buttons lit up, and after about 10 sec it started to vibrate in a pattern: buzz-pause-buzz-buzz-buzz

I couldn't get anywhere after that, pulling battery and reboot didn't change anything. So tried to install CWM via ODIN to see if I'd bricked it, and CWN installed just fine. I can boot into CWM recovery mode fine, installed su-3.0.-efgh-signed.zip also without apparent issue. So tried using CWM to flash to CleanGB_Kernel_0b28e9767b.zip. This also seemed to have no issue, certainly no errors were noted; but I'm still stuck at the same B&W screen with the buzz pattern. Suggestions?

Daegul

Jul 7, 2011
Visit site
Forgot to mention, this phone had been flashed over to Cricket and had the following stats prior to starting this endevor:

Firmware 2.2.1, Kernel 2.6.32.9, Build Froyo EC05.

Daegul

Jul 7, 2011
Visit site
OK, figured it out, but have additional concerns.

1st, apparently that kernel I popped on there was Gingerbread, where I'd started out with Froyo. Oops. Though looking back my biggest moron moment was not installing Clockwork 1st and backing up the damn thing. So here's my new stats and the issues:

Firmware = 2.3.6
Kernel = 2.6.35.7
Build = Gingerbread.EL30

This is a hand-me-down-phone, so some of this mess could be residual data, or it might be the phone thinking it's still on Sprint network instead of Cricket:

It wants to install the EI22 Gingerbread update. What'll happen if I do this and/or how do I get that to stop asking to install?

Periodically, this thing will complain "Error 67. Registration Failure. Your Sprint data service username and/or password may be incorrect. Please try again." Pre-Gingerbread mess (meaning a couple hours ago), this sometimes was followed by the phone deciding to go into airplane mode all on its own. Is there a ROM that will get around this nonsense? I'd like to get rid of all the Sprint apps entirely. Currently I managed to get the thing working again by installing the EL30-Stock-Root-Deodexed.zip one.

Looking to also have hotspot & tether in a ROM along with being Sprintless. Much thanks!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jon01