Couple of ROM/Modem Questions

sinfony78

Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
1) Is there any ROM out there that can install modem updates pushed out from Sprint?
2) Can I Odin the most updated modem with any ROM or does the ROM need to work with the modem?
3) If I go to a new ROM, will Titanium Backup restore all my old settings and apps? Can I use the free version or do I need to purchase full; what is the difference if I have to purchase?

I have the CleanGB ROM which I believe came with EC05 or EI22 modem. It used to work perfectly, but for no reason, my phone now requires me to charge it 3 times a day. I didn't install any new apps or anything, in fact I uninstalled apps just to be sure. The modem push from Sprint is annoying, so I want that to go away, so I odin'ed FC09. Battery life still sucks.

I just want a ROM that will give me the phone and few apps I use without the bloatware and annoying modem updates, and with the battery life it once had. If I have to switch ROMs, then I'd like to know that Titanium Backup would work. And I'd like to not have to worry about any new ROMs for the rest of the Epic's life.

Last edited:

hanabiji

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
1) Is there any ROM out there that can install modem updates pushed out from Sprint?
2) Can I Odin the most updated modem with any ROM or does the ROM need to work with the modem?
3) If I go to a new ROM, will Titanium Backup restore all my old settings and apps? Can I use the free version or do I need to purchase full; what is the difference if I have to purchase?

I have the CleanGB ROM which I believe came with EC05 or EI22 modem. It used to work perfectly, but for no reason, my phone now requires me to charge it 3 times a day. I didn't install any new apps or anything, in fact I uninstalled apps just to be sure. The modem push from Sprint is annoying, so I want that to go away, so I odin'ed FC09. Battery life still sucks.

I just want a ROM that will give me the phone and few apps I use without the bloatware and annoying modem updates, and with the battery life it once had. If I have to switch ROMs, then I'd like to know that Titanium Backup would work. And I'd like to not have to worry about any new ROMs for the rest of the Epic's life.

Robbie Doo

Nov 10, 2010
Visit site
I don't think there are any roms out there that would accomplish your request. Yes, you can odin the most recent modem that is available for your device. Of course, the paid version does more than the free version, and since it's not so expensive why not purchase it? It's a great program to have all the time. As for the battery life, maybe you can try wiping the cach?s and see if it'll help cuz I don't think the battery drainage has anything to do with your modem. I'm on FC09 (using CM9 RC1) and it goes about 24 hours before I charge again.

sinfony78

Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
so basically i should go to a ROM that has continuous support and update ROMs as they come along?

i've wiped caches, including davlik, and still no good

Robbie Doo

Nov 10, 2010
Visit site
so basically i should go to a ROM that has continuous support and update ROMs as they come along?

i've wiped caches, including davlik, and still no good

I'm not sure what your "technology curiosity" level is but coming from one it would be adviseable. I don't mind my Nightly updates from Cyanogenmod, even though you don't have to do them. That ROM has been so perfect (for me, I can't guarantee for everyone else) that it makes you fall in love with your phone all over again. :)

sinfony78

Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
something is wrong with the phone then...tried this a couple of days, and still no improvement in battery...just as bad as before, can't go a full day without charging again

bitseeker

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
A few weeks ago, I finally replaced the stock Gingerbread on my Epic with CM9 Stable. At first, it was burning 5% or more per hour while idle(!) with 3G, Wi-Fi, auto-sync off. On GB, it only consumed 0.5% per hour under the same conditions. Did the following so far,

- Disable NetworkLocationService so it can't run (part of Google Maps that figures out your location via cell tower/Wi-Fi and always runs even if you have the feature turned off)
- Stop Google Play services when phone boots (it'll launch one or more services and not shut down on its own)
- Log out of all other services (Google Talk, Google+, Google Voice, Box, DropBox, etc.)
- Turn off GPS because sometimes an unknown process turns it on after boot and leaves it on

That got the phone's idle power consumption down to 1-2% per hour.

Today, I've switched to Apex Launcher in place of CM9's default Trebuchet Launcher. That seems to have some benefit, but requires a few days of testing to verify any lasting impact to battery life.

bitseeker

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
No significant improvement to battery life. I guess ICS is just not happy on the Epic. Rather than go back to fully stock Gingerbread, I've put on The People's ROM 2.21, which is based on Gingerbread FC09 (the last version Sprint pushed OTA) with some additional fixes/enhancement.

What a difference! Got back my original great battery life.

Nathanael Keck

Jul 28, 2013
Visit site
How did you get the Widgets to work on your phone because it says I need root access for super user but for some reason it won't allow Root access is there a simple fix for this?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12