Cant get my phone to flash back to stock

aj031890

Aug 20, 2012
Visit site
Quick background- I had installed cm10 on my phone and noticed some things werent right such as my keyboard kept crashing...nothing requiring data would work...my "home" key wouldnt work etc etc. so i decided I wanted to flash back to the stock ROM so I could maybe start over. I first attempted using Odin. I went through all the steps and while uploading the factory.fs file the screen would go blank (the download screen would disappear leaving a lit-but blank screen)-odin would stop responding and eventually tell me the flash had failed. so I tried all the troubleshooting tips including attempting without a battery, without the SD card etc etc only to get the same result. So I turned to Heimdall. Basically the same thing happened. I selected all the correct files and put them in the correct places and 14% through uploading the factoryfs it went to a blank screen and failed. so i tried again and again and get the same result every time. what on earth could i be doing wrong?

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
When using Odin are you using the pit file which re partitions the device?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Thats the correct .pit file so your good there.

I know you mentioned trying all the trouble shooting steps but I'm still going to stress trying a different usb cable.

Trust me when I've seen first hand and helped hundreds of members using Odin when it fails of hangs during the flash and it turns out to be connection/cable related.

FWIW just because the cable charges the phone and connects for storage access doesn't always mean it will work for Odin. Yes Odin is that fussy at times.

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
Thats the correct .pit file so your good there.

I know you mentioned trying all the trouble shooting steps but I'm still going to stress trying a different usb cable.

Trust me when I've seen first hand and helped hundreds of members using Odin when it fails of hangs during the flash and it turns out to be connection/cable related.

FWIW just because the cable charges the phone and connects for storage access doesn't always mean it will work for Odin. Yes Odin is that fussy at times.

Yup i would add, disable any antivirus , shut down any applications the computer may be running. Change USB ports the best ports are the ones closest to the Mother board of the computer usually found in the back of the computer

aj031890

Aug 20, 2012
Visit site
Yup i would add, disable any antivirus , shut down any applications the computer may be running. Change USB ports the best ports are the ones closest to the Mother board of the computer usually found in the back of the computer

No antivirus installed no other programs running because ive done this so many times i have the process memorized and dont need anything else open for a walkthrough. As for USB ports, it's a laptop so theyre pretty much all closest to the motherboard. I only have 3 ports on my computer. My computer only recognizes my device when I plug it into the eSATA port otherwise one port is dead and the other port just comes up with "USB Device Not Recognized". However I will attempt the advice of trying with a different cable because before the phone bricked (when I originally installed CM and noticed the issues) I was able to flash CWM onto my phone using Heimdall with my friend's BlackBerry cable

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
No antivirus installed no other programs running because ive done this so many times i have the process memorized and dont need anything else open for a walkthrough. As for USB ports, it's a laptop so theyre pretty much all closest to the motherboard. I only have 3 ports on my computer. My computer only recognizes my device when I plug it into the eSATA port otherwise one port is dead and the other port just comes up with "USB Device Not Recognized". However I will attempt the advice of trying with a different cable because before the phone bricked (when I originally installed CM and noticed the issues) I was able to flash CWM onto my phone using Heimdall with my friend's BlackBerry cable
Laptops are unreliable also because voltage is not as regulated.

Another trick you could try on the laptop or computer for that matter is removing the battery. place it in download mode plug it in and remove the battery it should stay in download mode.
For the computer you could try the following to get the phone recognized. put the phone in download mode plug it in .
Open device manager find the USB port with the error, right click and uninstall driver DO NOT check the box to delete driver. then unplug the device and plug it back in.
Another option is to see if you can get heimdalls zadig to install their drivers which are not as sensative. then you can try flashing through Heimdall.

Last resort try someone elses computer. This stuff happens, In fact today i soft bricked my wifes Infuse and it took me a couple hours to find a solution but i would say 90% of the time the situation is not hopeless.

aj031890

Aug 20, 2012
Visit site
Laptops are unreliable also because voltage is not as regulated.

Another trick you could try on the laptop or computer for that matter is removing the battery. place it in download mode plug it in and remove the battery it should stay in download mode.
For the computer you could try the following to get the phone recognized. put the phone in download mode plug it in .
Open device manager find the USB port with the error, right click and uninstall driver DO NOT check the box to delete driver. then unplug the device and plug it back in.
Another option is to see if you can get heimdalls zadig to install their drivers which are not as sensative. then you can try flashing through Heimdall.

Last resort try someone elses computer. This stuff happens, In fact today i soft bricked my wifes Infuse and it took me a couple hours to find a solution but i would say 90% of the time the situation is not hopeless.

I have attempted flashing in both programs with the battery removed only to get the same result. Also I have tried with both the downloaded driver mentioned above and heimdalls driver

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
I have attempted flashing in both programs with the battery removed only to get the same result. Also I have tried with both the downloaded driver mentioned above and heimdalls driver

I'm going to sleep soon but beyond odin suggestions I can not give any advice since I never owned your particular device..... Maybe you should look into a different stock package if there is one. For instance I used Two different ones to get my wifes phone to work. One to unbrick the other because the phone was acting strangely and it was because I was using an old boot img

From my Galaxy Note 2 via Tapatalk

aj031890

Aug 20, 2012
Visit site
I'm going to sleep soon but beyond odin suggestions I can not give any advice since I never owned your particular device..... Maybe you should look into a different stock package if there is one. For instance I used Two different ones to get my wifes phone to work. One to unbrick the other because the phone was acting strangely and it was because I was using an old boot img

From my Galaxy Note 2 via Tapatalk

I
ve actaully used no less than 4 different ones because I noticed on other forums that people have suggested it may be a bad download. Im going to try a different cable in a few hours and hopefully that gets me somewhere

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781