Well, we have root, now what?

caliskimmer

Retired Moderator
Jul 11, 2010
Visit site
So we've got our phones rooted...now what? I'm assuming we just sit back and hope to see a ROM soon? While we're at it, what apps would you recommend for rooted phones? I saw a list somewhere else, but it was really short. I'd like to see what else I could do.

Andrew Ruffolo

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
Recovery is out... kinda. I haven't even rooted. Recovery now just gives us a backup, since there are no ROMs yet. I'm waiting for RA-Recovery. I love theirs much more than clockwork. They are essentially the same thing, but RA just feels so much more professionally done.

caliskimmer

Retired Moderator
Jul 11, 2010
Visit site
Recovery is out... kinda. I haven't even rooted. Recovery now just gives us a backup, since there are no ROMs yet. I'm waiting for RA-Recovery. I love theirs much more than clockwork. They are essentially the same thing, but RA just feels so much more professionally done.

Completely agree. I've heard a lot about the two. I'm waiting for those custom ROMs to be out. Driving down to the Sprint store soon, so I can pick up my 3rd Epic (which I hope works, has no screen separation issues, or the capacitive button issues).

Dolio

Sep 4, 2010
Visit site
Are there any sort of back end package managements or ports of linux apps? I'd like to just get in there and install things like bash, joe, vi, lighttpd, sshd, ezipupdate, cron, etc, etc....

sryans2004

Sep 6, 2010
Visit site
That's exactly what I was thinking.. It took me over 2 days to root the phone, yesterday I gave up. I am new on rooting android devices and some of the instructions didnt tell me to download android sdk...

Anyways, I rooted and I guess the only thing we can do is now download certain apps in the market that requires superuser permission?? Only reason I wanted to give it a try was to see if it could help out the battery life.. I would like to try a ROM, I see there is one in development..

caliskimmer

Retired Moderator
Jul 11, 2010
Visit site
That's exactly what I was thinking.. It took me over 2 days to root the phone, yesterday I gave up. I am new on rooting android devices and some of the instructions didnt tell me to download android sdk...

Anyways, I rooted and I guess the only thing we can do is now download certain apps in the market that requires superuser permission?? Only reason I wanted to give it a try was to see if it could help out the battery life.. I would like to try a ROM, I see there is one in development..

Do you have Andromeda running? This sped up my phone a bit (check the benchmark section in the stickies) and it's actually saving me a bit of battery life.