Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

ROM
    EB13 with Genocide v.2a

Default Help! False root?

Hey All,
    I recently rooted my Epic using this method ( joeykrim-SDX - Permanent Root for Epic (and Verizon Fascinate) - Confirmed ) , but Titanium Backup could not acquire root privileges.

If I go into the ADB Shell and type in su, the shell returns a #, which is the method listed for checking if you have root or not in the above link.

Anybody know what's going on?/How I can fix my root? Thanks.

EDIT: I also have busybox installed using the tool installer included with RyanZA's One Click Lag Fix. The One Click Lag Fix recognizes that I have root (but I still can't run it because I only have 328 of 498MB free space...another problem for another thread. lol)
    Retired Moderator

ROM
    N/A

Default Re: Help! False root?

Happened to me. You just have to keep trying to get it to work by looking up similar problems in the droid forums (outside of AndroidCentral). Reboot, do everything you can. Eventually, it recognized my phone and it started to work. Make sure you're mounted on the computer too. :-) hope this somewhat helps!

Sent from my awesome Samsung Epic 4g

Those roots are NOT made for the Epic.

Use this one from XDA.

One-Click Epic Root with Optomized Kernal

After rooting you need to install SUPERUSER from the Market. It should automatically allow SU permissions on root applications.

Then you will have permanent root with a faster kernal!
    Rooted EPIC 4G
    Stock Kernal
    Firmware DI07

Global Posts
    885 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock ICS

Default Re: Help! False root?

If you're having an issue with an application gettinng root access use an app called superuser by chainsdd. It will remember apps and give them the access they need. As for the root, I dint look at the link, but if you enter a terminal emulator and type su and gte a # prompt you have a rooted phone. If it says access denied then you don't have root access.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk
    My mobile device timeline:
    Misc electronic organizers -> Cassiopeia -> palm pilot III -> m100 -> Palm Pilot VII and Zire 21 -> Treo 90 -> Treo 650 -> PPC6700 -> Treo 755p -> PPC6800 -> Palm Pro -> Palm Pre -> Samsung moment -> Samsung Epic 4g -> HTC EVO Shift 4g-> Galaxy Nexus-> EVO LTE
    Thanked by:
    dmlee 
    Retired Moderator

ROM
    N/A

Quote Originally Posted by Monsterr View Post
    Those roots are NOT made for the Epic.

Use this one from XDA.

One-Click Epic Root with Optomized Kernal

After rooting you need to install SUPERUSER from the Market. It should automatically allow SU permissions on root applications.

Then you will have permanent root with a faster kernal!
    Wait, what?! I used that root and everything installed fine and TitaniumBackup worked fine too.

Hi I'm new to the droid world, coming from a Palm Pre. I got an Epic 4G is there any way to root the phone on a Mac? Please help

The root method in the OP most definitely does work for the Epic.

As mentioned, he probably just needs to install the Superuser app.
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

ROM
    EB13 with Genocide v.2a

Thanks guys. Superuser app, and I'm ready to go. You're the best.

Global Posts
    885 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock ICS

Glad to hear it works now. :-)
    Misc electronic organizers -> Cassiopeia -> palm pilot III -> m100 -> Palm Pilot VII and Zire 21 -> Treo 90 -> Treo 650 -> PPC6700 -> Treo 755p -> PPC6800 -> Palm Pro -> Palm Pre -> Samsung moment -> Samsung Epic 4g -> HTC EVO Shift 4g-> Galaxy Nexus-> EVO LTE

Global Posts
    885 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock ICS

Quote Originally Posted by CAIFAGUAR View Post
    Hi I'm new to the droid world, coming from a Palm Pre. I got an Epic 4G is there any way to root the phone on a Mac? Please help
    If you have the adb shell up and running you can look at my adb thread (link in my sig) where andrew explains the mac commands. From there you can modify the terminal commands to work for a linux/unix/mac. That or you could download a terminal emulator and type the commands in on the phone and root the phone (requires loading the script files to the sd card).
    Last edited by sphinxx; 09-13-2010 at 12:53 AM.

Global Posts
    54 Global Posts

Humm, so I used the " joeykrim-SDX - Permanent Root for Epic (and Verizon Fascinate) - Confirmed " method and it worked fine... Actually I had trouble, but I think that's because my abd failed on one of the pushes while I was root and then as non-root I couldn't touch the target file... Anyway, got that taken care of and the permanent root seems to be working. Doing tethering with no problem...

Should i revert this root method and use the XDA method mentioned? At first glance the XDA version appears to replace the kernel? Anyway, thoughts?

Global Posts
    885 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock ICS

The XDA version is just the one click version of the SDX root. I dont see anything about replacing the kernel unless there is another thread somewhere. That or youre referring to noobnl's Andromeda kernal and rom...
    Last edited by sphinxx; 09-13-2010 at 11:15 AM.