ClockworkMod Recovery/ROM Manager Guide

Adam Sawyer

Feb 10, 2010
Visit site
The procedure below is to install Clockwork v2.5.1.0, which only works with older RFS based ROMs that use Amend scripts. To install the new Clockwork v3.0.0.5 that supports the EXT4 filesystem and Edify scripts, go here.

Important: you cannot simply download ROM Manager from the Market and use it to install ClockworkMod Recovery. Your Epic 4G MUST have a custom kernel already installed on it for ROM Manager to be able to flash Clockwork and/or boot into Clockwork from ROM Manager. Use the procedure below to install a custom kernel so that ROM Manager is able to install Clockwork onto your device.

Prior to doing this, make sure your Epic has all the drivers installed. Also, be warned that although it's highly unlikely you will brick your phone, it's ALWAYS possible. AC is not liable.

This is a fully working recovery, and is also available on the Rom Manager app -- just be sure to choose for the one for the EPIC. Note: you must install the compatible custom kernel here in order for the recovery to flash correctly.

To flash this kernel, you must use either Odin, or redbend_ua, both of which are Samsung flashing utilities. Because of the risk involved with using Odin (possible zImage brick), my personal recommendation is to use the much safer redbend_ua utility.

ClockworkMod Recovery Installation Directions:

1) If you haven't already, download the Android SDK(Software Development Kit) from here:

Android SDK | Android Developers

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2)Download the redbend_ua flashing utility from here:

redbend_ua with recovery kernel.zip - 4shared.com - online file sharing and storage - download

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

3)extract the Android SDK to somewhere where you can access it easily -- like the desktop.

4)extract the redbend_ua_with_recovery_kernel.zip file into the /android-sdk-windows/tools/ directory

5)on your phone, navigate to: settings->applications->development->USB Debugging and make sure it is checked ON.

6)plug your phone into the computer with the data cable, then navigate to:

/android-sdk-windows/tools/redbend ua with recovery kernel/

and RUN the BATCH file (run.bat)

It will then flash the kernel. This may take a couple minutes, so don't get frustrated. If it doesn't take after about 5 minutes, then reboot the phone and try this step again. After it flashes, the phone WILL reboot automatically.

7)download ROM Manager from the market, and install the ClockworkMOD for the Epic 4G. You are now finished and can either boot into the recovery using the ROM Manager, or do the manual method by turning the phone off, and holding the
vol down+camera+power buttons to startup into Clockwork Recovery.

Having trouble with the above method? You can try this alternative method instead.

Last edited by a moderator:

caliskimmer

Retired Moderator
Jul 11, 2010
Visit site
Hey guys. It's a big day today for all us Epic owners, as the brainiacs over in the #samsung-epic freenode IRC channel have finally figured out how to get a working recovery on the Epic. This will allow us to flash custom ROMS and also utilize the backup and restore options that are found on other recoveries.

I've put together this little guide on how to get it all working. I wouldn't say its complicated, but you do need to download the Android SDK (Software Development Kit) and it wouldn't hurt if you had a little idea of how ADB works.

Prior to doing this, make sure your Epic has all the drivers installed. Also, be warned that although it's highly unlikely you will brick your phone, it's ALWAYS possible. AC is not liable.

Here we go:

1)Download the Android SDK (Software Development Kit) from here:

Android SDK | Android Developers

Put the directory somewhere easy to access, like your desktop.

2)Download the Epic Recovery package from here:

one.click.clockworkmod2.5.0.9-flasher-build-20.zip

Copy the whole directory inside the .zip file into the \SDK\tools directory

3)Turn your phone on USB Debugging Mode (settings->applications)

4)Navigate to where you extracted the Recovery .zip directory and execute run.bat

5)Should take a couple minutes, and then your phone will reboot.

6)Power phone off, hold camera, vol down, and power button to reboot into recovery and you're there.

NAVIGATION CONTROLS:
00:18 @noobnl ? known issues:
00:18 @noobnl ? button are messed up
00:18 @noobnl ? workaround:
00:18 @noobnl ? menu is back
00:18 @noobnl ? power is navigate
00:18 @noobnl ? smiley on keyboard is navigate
00:18 @noobnl ? h is enter

I'll update this guide as time goes on with easier, and better understood steps.

Please note that until there are custom ROMs/Themes/Kernels available, this recovery does not serve much purpose other than backing up your system and data files.

KNOWN ISSUES:
System does not remount!

Thanks!

Hold on, is this the same build as yesterday or has it been updated? People were reporting problems with build 2.

caliskimmer

Retired Moderator
Jul 11, 2010
Visit site
This was just released about 5 minutes ago.

Hmm, sounds like an update to me! As of yesterday, this wasn't working for many people over at SDX, but looks like progress is being made. Thanks for the post! I want to try it out, but I think I'll wait till a few more things are smoothed out.

caliskimmer

Retired Moderator
Jul 11, 2010
Visit site
This is a fully working release, enjoy!

*facepalm* I'm not thinking straight I guess. Will try it out tomorrow if I have the time!

I confused the nav buttons with regular use. They are to navigate through the recovery, not the UI.

EDIT: Not working. I tried it, but I get all sorts of errors like "device not found" or "permission denied"

Last edited:

trooper54

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
*facepalm* I'm not thinking straight I guess. Will try it out tomorrow if I have the time!

I confused the nav buttons with regular use. They are to navigate through the recovery, not the UI.

EDIT: Not working. I tried it, but I get all sorts of errors like "device not found" or "permission denied"

I think the best bet will be when a working version comes through rom manager, that we can flash_immage if we want, or install there. Permission denied might be fixed using fix permissions in rom manager. other than that, its just a waiting game.

caliskimmer

Retired Moderator
Jul 11, 2010
Visit site
I think the best bet will be when a working version comes through rom manager, that we can flash_immage if we want, or install there. Permission denied might be fixed using fix permissions in rom manager. other than that, its just a waiting game.

I figured that it'd be easier that way, but I like trying things out pretty early. Well, I'll just wait as I'm happy with my rooted Epic w/ Andromeda custom kernel. Sped up the phone a tad.

nmoreman

Apr 2, 2010
Visit site
I would like to ask a silly question on this root process, I have done this before, played with roms on Hero (have 2.2 on my kids for speed) but new to Epic.

I would like to root the phone to use some apps (tether, ad free, etc) but want to want to wait until update to 2.2.

So my question is, can I root phone, stay on 2.1 and just add the apps I want rather than flashing to another rom?

Adam Sawyer

Feb 10, 2010
Visit site
It means the sdcard can be mounted to move files back and forth, but the system cannot be remounted inside the recovery. Basically, it means you need to transfer all your needed files before you boot into the recoery.

SdotA85

May 14, 2010
Visit site
I keep getting this error message.... any help?

one click installer and Clock

Press any key to continue . .
copy and run the exploit (may
error: device not found
copy kernel and flasher
flashing kernel
wait 60 second

caliskimmer

Retired Moderator
Jul 11, 2010
Visit site
I keep getting this error message.... any help?

one click installer and Clock

Press any key to continue . .
copy and run the exploit (may
copy kernel and flasher
flashing kernel
wait 60 second

Unmount the usb before running the .bat file. It should work. If you are running a custom kernel, please reflash back to stock and then try this. Then flash the kernel right after it. My signature says it all!

nmoreman

Apr 2, 2010
Visit site
I used the above directions - GREAT directions - and pushed Thanks button.

I have been trying different methods, different problems. It looked like this went through since I ran .bat file in new Recover.

One question, well maybe two. The phone did not reboot automatically. I had to remove and reboot, but the display was changed from normal boot screen.

Is the phone rooted? Do I need to wipe/run recovery/ or anything else??

I am trying to root, keep same rom, wait for update (and hope this doesn't messup OTA update), basically wanting to add wireless tether and a few other things.

Just trying to figure out if I'm there because it didn't mention downloading SuperUser to give okays for apps.

caliskimmer

Retired Moderator
Jul 11, 2010
Visit site
I used the above directions - GREAT directions - and pushed Thanks button.

I have been trying different methods, different problems. It looked like this went through since I ran .bat file in new Recover.

One question, well maybe two. The phone did not reboot automatically. I had to remove and reboot, but the display was changed from normal boot screen.

Is the phone rooted? Do I need to wipe/run recovery/ or anything else??

I am trying to root, keep same rom, wait for update (and hope this doesn't messup OTA update), basically wanting to add wireless tether and a few other things.

Just trying to figure out if I'm there because it didn't mention downloading SuperUser to give okays for apps.

Download Superuser and it will ask for permissions, if it goes through, you're rooted :)

liquidxit2

Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
Last edited:

marioc

May 31, 2010
Visit site
Just finished running the bat file. Had to run it twice. First time the the batch file got to the point where it said adb was being reset and... nothing happened. It just sat there. I read the original post on sdx and saw someone suggest not letting the screen timeout during the installation process. So I set the screen timeout to 2 mins and ran the batch file again. This time when it got to that same point it hung there for about 30 secs and then finished running. The phone restarted and the process was done. I rebooted the phone and clockwork came up. Awesome. Now bring on some ROMs.

nmoreman

Apr 2, 2010
Visit site
I just wanted to let you know it worked, thanks, and I hit the thanks button above.

I just came from the Pre, had done all kinds of cool things to it thanks to the wonderful PreCentral Community, I will miss them, but excited to come over to the Epic, loving it. I know there are some things I want to do, do not have a good understanding of Andoid. I had flashed my daughter's Hero to speed it up and added 2.2 CM6 for her, took about a day to figure this out. so was determined to do this. I read instructions, reread things (some more complicated, misspelled, scary) but kept trying this and getting better at moving files. The fourth time it worked, I just wanted to experiment since I'm within my 30 days if it quit!!!

So not sure on next steps on how to flash roms, and there isn't really any out there, so will keep reading and learning. My advise, keep trying this, wait when it says reload server (or something). My first two mistakes was thinking I had to do something. Just set and wait, it will end.

I did also got it stuck in Recover Mode one time, so this time the phone rebooted itself. Not sure if I should go into Recovery, but was able to download Super User and another rooted program that is working. So I guess I'm good to go!! And happy, its taken 2 days

nmoreman

Apr 2, 2010
Visit site
Quick add - I had downloaded these, wrote the above while downloading. Installed, doesn't work. I have no permission, the binaries. Flashes a blue error box on Wireless Tether, unable to start. Super User does nothing, said update su-2.3.1-bin-signed was placed on card, reboot to recovery to flash update. I did this, it said file couldn't be found.

So now I'm stuck, guess I have this (maybe) on phone, but not rooted and can do nothing with it. Hope I didn't mess the phone up by playing around.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781