[How to] Factory Restore (or Fix a Bricked Phone)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Glad you got it to work... Might have been the .tar file. If Odin was recognizing your phone then that almost cancels out a USB connection problem but I guess its still possible.

Anyways glad you made it happen.

BlackHawkA4

Drop the Bag
Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
Alright so I tried dk28. Got the invalid message. Removed the md5 and tried with and without pit.
Plugged the phone in and the com came on. Hit start and it says something about connection and then doesn't do anything. I waited several minutes both times and nothing.

I unplugged the phone and pulled the battery and it booted back up like normal.

What went wrong?

ragnarokx

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
Your phone will reboot after a successful Odin flash. Are you sure it didn't work?

If it didn't work, just keep trying. Reboot your computer, your phone, just try different scenarios until it works.

Officerpolabear

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
for some reason my epic 4g always gets the whole screen a random solid color (like green or something) and the green bar showing the progress of the download in odin always seems to stop when its at factoryfs. i have all the drivers installed, tried different usbs, and rebooted the computer help!

Last edited:

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
for some reason my epic 4g always gets the whole screen a random solid color (like green or something) and the green bar showing the progress of the download in odin always seems to stop when its at factoryfs. i have all the drivers installed, tried different usbs, and rebooted the computer help!
i know you have the drivers installed but try reinstalling them

Reactions: Officerpolabear

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site

If your using the 64 bit drivers then try the 32 bit. Works for some people

Try doing it without the .pit file.

Reactions: Officerpolabear

brust93

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
I'm hoping somebody can/will help me here. Fairly newbie, I had been messing around with my G1 forever, upgraded to the Epic in September. In October I flashed, through Odin, to DK18. I lost my root and since then I cannot get my comp to recognize my Epic, I have tried installing the 32, 64, and third try (from beginning of this post) drivers all to no avail, including uninstalling and reinstalling. Odin doesn't recognize anything. I tried Heimdall but it only recognizes my phone as an "unknown device" so it won't install any drivers. Any ideas?

Thank you in advance for any help.

mikepfly2

Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
If I follow this method and use the files to have a fresh DK28 on my epic, will it automatically include swype and all the other sprint bloatware?

Officerpolabear

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
i did that but i still got the same results. i think i should try the 64-bit drivers because i didn't even know it before until now but i think i installed both of the drivers on my computer. will that cause a problem? and also a funny observation is that the green bar goes farther when i use the usb cable for my universal remote lol :)

jubes

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site
brick'd epic?

hey guys, tried to update my epic to froyo via odin flash, and in the middle of flashing the phone, I removed the phone from the usb thinking it was done because it said "removed".... obviously, I was wrong and now it doesn't even turn on.. no download mode and no recovery mode... can someone help me.. i've tried remove the battery and everything and even tried turning it on while its charging.. pls help.. :(

unifier

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
My phone won't even charge at this point. I had it in download mode, tried to get it to restore via ODIN and it was stuck at pathem.pfs.

Any thoughts or is this really gone?

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
- Try removing the battery and start over again.

- Try doing it without the .pit file

- Use a different USB cable/USB port

- Check you drivers, sometimes a different Samsung driver will make the difference.

- If you battery ends up dead try reading this post

jubes

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site
Is it possible your battery is dead? Check out this post.

tried pluging it in without the battery as that post suggested, and it doesn't even power up or ask for the battery. I guess I'm one of those rare incidents where a samsung epic can actually be legitally "bricked" :(

When I tried doing the upgrade, I had abruptly 80-70% of battery life left in the phone, so this battery should not be dead..

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
tried pluging it in without the battery as that post suggested, and it doesn't even power up or ask for the battery. I guess I'm one of those rare incidents where a samsung epic can actually be legitally "bricked" :(

When I tried doing the upgrade, I had abruptly 80-70% of battery life left in the phone, so this battery should not be dead..

If Ragnarokx is watching, I think there is a post in this thread concerning an issue similar. If you can't get into download mode, there is a way use ADB that you can push your system to go into Download mode and then you might be in business.

Keep checking back, see if we can dig this up...

jubes

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site
If Ragnarokx is watching, I think there is a post in this thread concerning an issue similar. If you can't get into download mode, there is a way use ADB that you can push your system to go into Download mode and then you might be in business.

Keep checking back, see if we can dig this up...

Paul and Ragnarokx, thank you so very much for your help, I will stay tuned.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
drkrleitch