[How to] Factory Restore (or Fix a Bricked Phone)

Status
Not open for further replies.

trooper54

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
There are five separate procedures below: "Restore to Eclair DI18 Using Windows", "OSX, Linux and Alternative Windows Method for Eclair", "New: Restore to Froyo DK28", "New: Flash Froyo DK28 Modem Only", "New: Odin Workaround for Ubuntu"

Make sure your battery is fully charged before attempting anything in this thread. If you did not heed this warning and your phone died while flashing, read this post.

New: video walkthrough of the below procedure.

Please read the entire guide before you start.
Notice the nice picture at the bottom that shows you how to do anything you might be unsure about.

Restore to Eclair DI18 Using Windows
Step 0. Download and install the appropriate drivers for your Windows system:
32-bit drivers
64-bit drivers

Plug your Epic into your computer via USB and let Windows recognize your phone/configure the drivers. After Windows is done with the drivers, unplug your Epic.

Step 1. Download and extract Odin, my new most favorite wonder utility.
Link | Mirror

Step 2. Download the latest stock Epic Files (Source).
Link

Step 3. Download the .pit
Link

Step 4. Disconnect your phone from the pc and open Odin

Step 5. Turn off your phone. Then hold the "1" key on your keyboard while powering the device on. This puts the phone into Download mode. (PS love the pic of the cleaning android)

5247962738_10cc49f194.jpg

Credit for picture goes to Ahmgsk

Step 6. Connect your phone (you should see Odin put a Com4 or something like that in the first box. The actual number is NOT important what is important is something popped up there when you connected your device, meaning ODIN can see it)

Step 7. In the right half of Odin, press the PIT button, and select your .pit file.

Step 8. Check the PDA box, and press the PDA button. Select the SPH-D700-DI18-8Gb-REL.tar (if it is named SPH-D700-DI18-8Gb-REL.tar.md5 rename it by removing the .md5 at the end) you downloaded in Step 2.

Step 9. In the left half of Odin, check only the "Auto Reboot" and "Debug En" boxes. Make sure everything else is unchecked.

Step 10. Hit start. Watch the progress bar, and wait for it to finish.

Note: DO NOT unplug your phone while Odin is flashing your phone. Unplugging early can cause your Epic to be permanently bricked. If Odin appears frozen/stuck, wait at least 5 minutes before unplugging and trying again (after 5 minutes any process Odin is attempting to complete will have ended).

Odin.jpg

Troubleshooting
If you're having problems getting Odin to recognize your phone, try uninstalling the Samsung drivers you downloaded from the link above, and download and install this driver (select "Software" at the bottom; it should say "Device(Install),USB Driver (Software) (ver.1.0)") instead.

If Odin does recognize your phone but is failing during installation of the system files, you may have a bad download. Try downloading the files again.

Some users have had success by not including the .pit file in their installation.

If your phone turns off and does not respond at all, remove and replace the battery to get it working again.

OSX, Linux and Alternative Windows Method for Eclair
This guide was created by member aerospacial using Windows (OSX and Linux may need to make minor adjustments to this method):

Meidall download and instructions

Thread on XDA for more info

Downloaded the files from: Heimdall – Glass Echidna
*** Just in case, extract all files to one folder... extract both the heimdall folder and the ROM folder as well.
At the bottom of the page you will find latest software package. Package includes:
1 folder: includes a program to install specific drivers for this program
4 files: including heimdall - frontend which has a user interface (the one I used to run)
1 txt file: help guide pretty simple.

I recommend heimdall for those that are having many issues or don't get Odin to work (like me). Odin is much simpler.
To use heimdall with epic follow the instructions on the txt file:

These instructions were written for Windows Vista / Server 2008 however the producedure
should be essentially the same for all supported versions of Windows (XP onwards).

Driver Installation Instructions:

1. Put your Samsung Galaxy S into download mode and plug it in.

2. Run zadig.exe included in the Drivers subdirectory.

3. From the menu chose Options -> List All Devices.

4. From the USB Device list chose "Samsung USB Composite DEvice".

5. Press "Install Driver", click "Yes" to the prompt and if you receive
a message about being unable to verify the publisher of the driver
click "Install this driver software anyway".

6. Done

Once done with these steps, follow the following:
Flashing Firmware with Heimdall Frontend:

1. Fully charge your device (use the wall charger as it's faster).

2. Download a decrypted Samsung Galaxy S ROM and extract it to a directory.

3. If the ROM is provided as one of more archives (nested or otherwise),
extract them all to the same location.

NOTE: If you want to use the CSC then extract it last.

3. Open Heimdall Frontend.

4. Put your Galaxy S device into download mode and plug it in.

5a. For each file you wish to flash use "Browse" to select the file. (These file can be extracted from the .tar files, match the files to the ones being asked for)

5b. IF YOUR PHONE IS BRICKED (like mine was) the field for data needs to use a different file, use the one found here: RapidShare AG, Cham, Switzerland

5c. Also the .pit file was not necessary either.

6. Press "Start".

Note: DO NOT unplug your phone while Heimdall is flashing your phone. Unplugging early can cause your Epic to be permanently bricked. If Odin appears frozen/stuck, wait at least 5 minutes before unplugging and trying again (after 5 minutes any process Heimdall is attempting to complete will have ended).

7. Heimdall Frontend will display the progress and inform you when the
flash is complete.

If all goes well then it should work. It worked for me. (If you get some type of error but still boots, try going into recovery mode and doing a factory erase/swipe.)

New: Restore to Froyo DK28
0) Download and install the appropriate drivers for your Windows system:
32-bit drivers
64-bit drivers

Plug your Epic into your computer via USB and let Windows recognize your phone/configure the drivers. After Windows is done with the drivers, unplug your Epic.

1) Download the following:
Froyo DK28 (do not extract this file)
Odin3+v1.61

If you have problems with Odin recognizing or flashing your phone in the following steps, you should first try using a different USB port and/or cable. If you are still having problems, you can try uninstalling the Samsung drivers you downloaded from the link in Step 0, and download and install this driver (select "Software" at the bottom; it should say "Device(Install),USB Driver (Software) (ver.1.0)") instead.

2) Boot your phone into download mode by powering off your phone holding "1" on the keyboard and holding power until you see a yellow sign with an android digging.

3) Extract "Odin3+v1.61andepic.pit.zip" into a folder on your computer, then launch "Odin3+v1.61.exe".

4) Press the "PIT" button and select "victory_8G_100528.pit", then press the "PDA" button and select "SPH-D700-DK28-8Gb-REL.tar.md5". On the left side of the Odin screen, make sure only "Auto Reboot" is checked.

5) Plug in the USB cable (if it's done right you should see a yellow Com device light up in one of the rectangular boxes).

6) Click Start and wait until you get a green box at the top that says success. Your phone should reboot.

Note: DO NOT unplug your phone while Odin is flashing your phone. Unplugging early can cause your Epic to be permanently bricked. If Odin appears frozen/stuck, wait at least 5 minutes before unplugging and trying again (after 5 minutes any process Odin is attempting to complete will have ended).

If you get an error that says "md5 hash is invalid", try starting again from Step 1d and only use "SPH-D700-DK28-8Gb-REL.tar.md5", omitting the "victory_8G_100528.pit" file. You can also try removing the ".md5" from "SPH-D700-DK28-8Gb-REL.tar.md5" and flashing with and without the "victory_8G_100528.pit" file.

Troubleshooting
If you're having problems getting Odin to recognize your phone, try uninstalling the Samsung drivers you downloaded from the link above, and download and install this driver (select "Software" at the bottom; it should say "Device(Install),USB Driver (Software) (ver.1.0)") instead.

If Odin does recognize your phone but is failing during installation of the system files, you may have a bad download. Try downloading the files again.

Some users have had success by not including the .pit file in their installation.

If your phone turns off and does not respond at all, remove and replace the battery to get it working again.

New: Flash Froyo DK28 Modem Only
0) Download and install the appropriate drivers for your Windows system:
32-bit drivers
64-bit drivers

1) Download the following:
Froyo DK28 modem
Odin3+v1.61

If you have problems with Odin recognizing or flashing your phone in the following steps, you should first try using a different USB port and/or cable. If you are still having problems, you can try uninstalling the Samsung drivers you downloaded from the link in Step 0, and download and install this driver (select "Software" at the bottom; it should say "Device(Install),USB Driver (Software) (ver.1.0)") instead.

2) Boot your phone into download mode by powering off your phone holding "1" on the keyboard and holding power until you see a yellow sign with an android digging.

3) Run the "Odin3+v1.61.exe" program.

4) Press the "PDA" button and select "DK28 modem.tar". On the left side of the Odin screen, make sure only "Auto Reboot" is checked.

5) Plug in the USB cable (if it's done right you should see a yellow Com device light up in one of the rectangular boxes).

6) Click Start and wait until you get a green box at the top that says success. Your phone should reboot.

Troubleshooting

New: Odin Workaround for Ubuntu
The Samsung phone has a different USB signature depending on whether it is normally running (or in download/DL mode, with the yellow digger icon). So I had to start the phone in DL mode, under Ubuntu (or whatever flavor of Linux you use), then look at it via the lsusb command. You'll notice that it is listed differently in DL mode than when the phone is just normally booted and you plug it in.

So, what I did was to verify that Linux picked it up while in DL mode (using the lsusb command), it did.

Next I start VirtualBox (I imagine it is very similar using VMWare or KVM) but before I start my Windows virtual machine, I bring up its' settings and under USB I removed existing USB filters and then clicked to add a new filter (VirtualBox will query the Linux system to find available Plugged-in devices).. You should see your phone here. Mine was listed as something like "Gadget Serial". I included pictures that show you that the phone advertises itself differently depending on the mode it's in (different USB productID).

Once you've got that USB filter setup in VirtualBox, you can keep the phone connected and just launch your Windows VM. Then you can just launch Odin, In my case, when I launched Windows and Odin, I already had the phone attached and it just worked. Odin showed my phone connected and I went ahead with flashing.

1. [optionally] restart Linux - Had to do this on a few occasions
  2. Put phone in DL (Download) mode - keyboard's 1 key plus power button
  3. do an lsusb command in Linux and find your phone (lsusb -v gives you all details)
  4. Start VirtualBox and create a USB filter
  5. Launch Windows
  6. Launch Odin
  7. Hopefully you'll see the device there and can proceed.

** I can not 100% confirm this but my only success has been on a particular USB port. It might just be coincidence (I'm thinking it is), but until I'm able to confirm it, it wouldn't kill you to try an alternate USB port if one fails after rebooting Linux.

usbsettingsunderdlmode.jpg

usbsettingsundernormalm.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

ragnarokx

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
I'm new to Android so excuse my ignorance - but are additional steps needed if one is rooted or has a custom kernel? Or does this completely wipe everything to a like new software state?

Reactions: HeisRisen

beardman

Feb 23, 2010
Visit site
when i connect my epic in download mode, it shows up as unknown device. i installed the drivers, and im running win 7 32bit.

anyone know how to get it to show up?

EDIT: make sure you use the original usb cable. i was using a cheapo one and that's why i couldn't get it to recognize

Last edited:

ragnarokx

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
hey liquidjesus - with the new .tar file that was released recently with the DI07 update, maybe you could update your post and include it as an option when restoring?

raiderep

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site
Pit file is not needed and checking debug en is not only un-neccessary but it brings up options that will brick your device. FYI

sent by an Epic4g through the cosmos

Reactions: DaEXfactoR

DaEXfactoR

Jun 2, 2010
Visit site
Thank you for sharing this info. I rooted my Epic yesterday.I haven't even begun to customize or flash any ROM's because I did not want to change the device too much. I wanted to try the OTA when they start to roll it out. This is my first time rooting and it is good to know there is a method to roll back to original ROM. I feel a bit more comfortable now diving in. One question though, does it matter what method was used to gain root access?

ragnarokx

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
Thank you for sharing this info. I rooted my Epic yesterday.I haven't even begun to customize or flash any ROM's because I did not want to change the device too much. I wanted to try the OTA when they start to roll it out. This is my first time rooting and it is good to know there is a method to roll back to original ROM. I feel a bit more comfortable now diving in. One question though, does it matter what method was used to gain root access?

Any particular methods that you're looking at? I would just go with the easy and effective "one click root".

When doing steps 1-3 should phone be connected to PC?

No, you don't need your phone connected to your PC during steps 1-3. Step 4 stating "Disconnect your phone from the pc and open Odin" is just meant to ensure your phone is disconnected before starting Odin.

Reactions: DaEXfactoR

DaEXfactoR

Jun 2, 2010
Visit site
Any particular methods that you're looking at? I would just go with the easy and effective "one click root".

No, you don't need your phone connected to your PC during steps 1-3. Step 4 stating "Disconnect your phone from the pc and open Odin" is just meant to ensure your phone is disconnected before starting Odin.
I used "one click root". I am going to flash a ROM. Any suggestions? What should I use to back up? I just want to make sure I have all my bases covered. Also, what is a good app for wireless tethering? Tired of giving Sprint that extra 30 a month.
Thanks dude..

markz68

Sep 13, 2010
Visit site
Your link to the stock Epic files isn't working. Anyone have a working link?

Also, does this unroot the phone, or just put the stock kernel & ROM back in place.

ragnarokx

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
I used "one click root". I am going to flash a ROM. Any suggestions? What should I use to back up? I just want to make sure I have all my bases covered. Also, what is a good app for wireless tethering? Tired of giving Sprint that extra 30 a month.
Thanks dude..

Sorry for the late reply! If you haven't found answers to these questions yet: my favorite ROM right now is Baked Snack (see thread in this forum), you use ClockworkMod Recovery to backup, Wireless Tether for root users.

Your link to the stock Epic files isn't working. Anyone have a working link?

Also, does this unroot the phone, or just put the stock kernel & ROM back in place.

I updated the stock Epic files link, it should be working now. This will put your Epic in out-of-the-box condition, like new ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ThatDude