1.6GHz Stable 3K+ Quadrant

ragnarokx

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
Can't wait for this kernel. Taken from an article on phandroid:

Latest Galaxy S Overclock to 1.6 GHz (Vibrant) Sees FPS Unlock Achieving 78.0, Breaks 3K on Quadrant

Those developers are ridiculously good! While we’ve been skeptical of overclocks thanks to recent hoaxes by Team DeFuse, we believe this new breakthrough in development for the Samsung Galaxy S line of phones is the real deal. Team Whiskey have apparently achieved a stable overclock of 1.6 GHz. If that wasn’t enough, they’ve also been able to uncap the FPS lock.

This is backed up by benchmarks, thankfully, which show the Galaxy S (Samsung Vibrant, to be specific) achieve an FPS rate of 78 frames per second – well past the 55-60 that most of us would otherwise be satisfied with. The device was also put through Quadrant and managed to achieve a whopping 3083, completely obliterating the performance of any consumer device to come before it.

“The 3k+ Quad was achieved by using the OCLF 2.2, with Deadline CPU Scheduler, and Hardcore CPU tweaks. Tonight I will be implementing a EXT 4 conversion, so OCLF wont be needed anymore.”

The team states that this is only the first phase of the kernel. They’ll be adding more mods and tweaks as well as continue to push the Hummingbird processor inside the Vibrant well past its limit. I don’t know about you non-Galaxy S users, but it’s making me want to go out and get one. For those who already have one, you have a lot to look forward to soon. (The team’s committing to releases for every version of the phone save for the Fascinate on Verizon. They can’t promise anything for Fascinate owners until they can get a Fascinate of their own to work on.)

They state they’ll have a release candidate available before too long, so be sure to bookmark their forums (or keep an eye on the Vibrant development forums at XDA) to follow development once they’re ready to release it.

Reactions: HAAS599 and dmlee

dmlee

Jul 11, 2010
Visit site
I wonder how this affects battery life. At the end of weekdays when I go to plug in, I usually have 20% or so left. I'd gladly make that 20 into a 5 if that means I can just say I'm running my processor overclocked by 60%....even if I can't tell a difference in normal usage.

ragnarokx

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
On XDA there is a "battery tweak" that dynamically changes how your phone uses power to save battery life. Maybe we could combine that with this kernel to minimize battery life loss.

drizek

Jul 2, 2010
Visit site
I wonder how this affects battery life. At the end of weekdays when I go to plug in, I usually have 20% or so left. I'd gladly make that 20 into a 5 if that means I can just say I'm running my processor overclocked by 60%....even if I can't tell a difference in normal usage.

It will probably have very little impact. With SetCPU the phone will be running at 100mhz most of the time, and will slowly increase in speed only if you need it.

Reactions: dmlee

trooper54

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
any wake issues with your current set cpu profiles?

Kernal enabling phone to run at 1.6ghz will dramaticaly drop battery unless severe undervolting and cpu governer is implemnted.

Considering the recomened freqency for the hummingbird is still 800 to 1000 mhz. This would be super cool to show off, but a scary daily driver.

The bench is crazy despite being on 2.1... lol

I too can't wait!

dmlee

Jul 11, 2010
Visit site
any wake issues with your current set cpu profiles?

Kernal enabling phone to run at 1.6ghz will dramaticaly drop battery unless severe undervolting and cpu governer is implemnted.

Considering the recomened freqency for the hummingbird is still 800 to 1000 mhz. This would be super cool to show off, but a scary daily driver.

The bench is crazy despite being on 2.1... lol

I too can't wait!

I had wake up lag when I set my min frequency to 400mhz or less. I have my min set now to 1ghz. I still get about 3 hours for every 10% loss in charge which is more than I need in a normal day.

I use widget locker, and the lag was causing a delay for that app. Pretty annoying, but it's gone now ... for the most part. :D