Rooting for Eclair and leaked Froyo DK28

ragnarokx

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
Okay, nevermind everything is great for the moment! I tell you what, as soon as my wife's upgrade is ready next week, I am gonna try and put all the data a person should need in one thread with pictures and maybe videos too!

That's what I've been trying to do with this thread. If you do end up getting those vids/pics, please send them over!

Does the phone need to be connected to the pc when doing recovery and backing up etc? Mine was, was just curious if it mattered.

Nope, ClockworkMod Recovery does not need a PC connection for any of its functions.

shaundizzle

Oct 19, 2010
Visit site
i think this thread is pretty easy to follow haha

and for your apks you want to install. put them on your sd card, i have mine in a folder called "DL APKS"

click on it in astro and itll ask for app manager or browse files. click app manager and install

shaundizzle

Oct 19, 2010
Visit site
and i have also stated that you need to apply the update.zip in recovery before in another thread probably. rag put that in there.

a lot of people think that booting into recovery will take you straight to clockwork. for me and this guy we both need to apply update.zip to get into recovery.
that is why i told you to download rom manager. its a one click reboot into recovery.
no powering down, booting into recovery, and then clockwork. you just hit boot into recovery

bonanzabucks

Sep 18, 2010
Visit site
OK, I've tried out that ADB thing and this is what I get.

I have everything installed. I even tried that adb thing and no dice. Do I have too many drivers installed? Should I try reinstalling the Samsung drivers? Also, I do have the "Superuser" icon, but I can't install Titanium backup because it still says I am not rooted. I'm going to try again tomorrow. This is really frustrating.

Also, if anyone in NYC has the EPIC and knows how to successfully root the damn thing, let me know. If you can successfully help me out, I'll buy you a beer.

shaundizzle

Oct 19, 2010
Visit site
Yeah rom manager doesn't do it until you apply that update

Sent from my Epic Droid with Tapatalk Pro.

you clicked on "reboot into recovery" in rom manager?
and it didnt take you to clockwork til after you applied update.zip?
thats weird. try reflashing clockwork through the rom manager app.
when you first open rom manager it will be the top selection.

OK, I've tried out that ADB thing and this is what I get.

I have everything installed. I even tried that adb thing and no dice. Do I have too many drivers installed? Should I try reinstalling the Samsung drivers? Also, I do have the "Superuser" icon, but I can't install Titanium backup because it still says I am not rooted. I'm going to try again tomorrow. This is really frustrating.

Also, if anyone in NYC has the EPIC and knows how to successfully root the damn thing, let me know. If you can successfully help me out, I'll buy you a beer.

try restarting your computer and your phone. ive also heard of people needing to try plugging their phone into a different usb port.

also make sure you have debugging turned on. and the phone is not mounted

ragnarokx

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
and i have also stated that you need to apply the update.zip in recovery before in another thread probably. rag put that in there.

a lot of people think that booting into recovery will take you straight to clockwork. for me and this guy we both need to apply update.zip to get into recovery.
that is why i told you to download rom manager. its a one click reboot into recovery.
no powering down, booting into recovery, and then clockwork. you just hit boot into recovery

What update.zip are you referring to? When I installed Clockwork I used the "runfirst.bat" and "runlast.bat" method from XDA - I don't think I ever applied an update.zip.

HeisRisen

Oct 29, 2010
Visit site
you clicked on "reboot into recovery" in rom manager?
and it didnt take you to clockwork til after you applied update.zip?
thats weird. try reflashing clockwork through the rom manager app.
when you first open rom manager it will be the top selection.

Yeah I have done that countless times, I think it has to do with superuser stuff. Gonna spend some time on it today, now that I am out of Church. Will keep you guys posted, I hoping to have a custom ROM flashed by tomorrow night. A detailed HOW-TO, from start to finish done by Friday or Saturday. I love the concept of this, but I think all the information needs to be in one How-To ... not one rooting method here and one rooting method there and them clock work stuff in another thread. There needs to be one comprehensive guide that gets you to the point of flashing a custom Rom. and a knowledge base that explains alot of this terminology and what each thing means and how you accomplish each task exactly.

Not ... "Update the Zip File"

Anyways, hopefully all goes smoothly, with all the knowledge we have here no reason anything should be this spread out and inconsistent.

ragnarokx

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
Yeah I have done that countless times, I think it has to do with superuser stuff. Gonna spend some time on it today, now that I am out of Church. Will keep you guys posted, I hoping to have a custom ROM flashed by tomorrow night. A detailed HOW-TO, from start to finish done by Friday or Saturday. I love the concept of this, but I think all the information needs to be in one How-To ... not one rooting method here and one rooting method there and them clock work stuff in another thread. There needs to be one comprehensive guide that gets you to the point of flashing a custom Rom. and a knowledge base that explains alot of this terminology and what each thing means and how you accomplish each task exactly.

Not ... "Update the Zip File"

Anyways, hopefully all goes smoothly, with all the knowledge we have here no reason anything should be this spread out and inconsistent.

The reason I don't do it that way is because not everybody wants the same things that you want. Some people only want root to get Wireless Tether working or to remove bloatware and have no interest in ROMs or kernels. Keeping this a rooting only thread helps focus the discussion of root troubleshooting only, so we don't have 3 different people talking about 3 totally different things in the same thread.

HeisRisen

Oct 29, 2010
Visit site
The reason I don't do it that way is because not everybody wants the same things that you want. Some people only want root to get Wireless Tether working or to remove bloatware and have no interest in ROMs or kernels. Keeping this a rooting only thread helps focus the discussion of root troubleshooting only, so we don't have 3 different people talking about 3 totally different things in the same thread.

Yeah, I can understand that, sorry if I derailed the thread. Just conveying my experiences so far with the information I have came across. I am going to try something like the link below for the wife's.

Epic 4G All in One Root and Recovery 1.13 for Windows, Intel Mac, and Linux

ragnarokx

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, I can understand that, sorry if I derailed the thread. Just conveying my experiences so far with the information I have came across. I am going to try something like the link below for the wife's.

Epic 4G All in One Root and Recovery 1.13 for Windows, Intel Mac, and Linux

No problemo. There 3 different root methods out last I checked, and that is the second one. There's also a simple (but not one-click) root on XDA that requires you to enter some code by hand.

The root method you have there is actually based on the one in this thread, plus it has Clockwork/noobnl's kernel/SDX Stock App Remover in the same thread as well. Let us know how that one works out for you.

amnchode

Sep 21, 2010
Visit site
I can confirm that it works like a champ, as long as you do the pre steps correctly (ie, installing drivers, installing the SDK, and ensuring the SD card isn't mounted). In fact, going that route actually makes it easier as you can just load Clockworkmod Recovery, prior to rooting, and then just flash a rooted kernal thus bypassing the one-click root altogether. But that is just MHO...

shaundizzle

Oct 19, 2010
Visit site
Rag, the update.zip thing I was referring to was the update.zip selection in the android recovery list.
When I boot into recovery using the volume and camera key I get taken to the normal recovery and then need to apply the update.zip into order to get to clockwork recovery.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk

CletusAZ

Aug 29, 2010
Visit site
That will be another thread - "The Ultimate Post-Rooting Guide" ;) lol
But seriously - there are so many threads about members having trouble rooting that just the topic of rooting alone is enough to keep this thread busy.

AWESOME I need the post rooting guide for sure! Thanks Ragnarokx!

Fitz39

Sep 23, 2010
Visit site
i closed the command prompt, and then clicked run again. unplugged and plugged in my phone and everything started to run... but now i'm stuck again

phone is frozen.. don't knwo what i should do

Exploit made by joeykrim and one click installer made by noobnl and firon
busybox by skeeterslint
Press any key to continue . . .
Phone is not connected.
Press any key to continue . . .
Copy and run the exploit (may take up to two minutes). Ignore messages about re-
logging in.
If more than five minutes pass, reboot the phone and try again.
Starting adb server...
* server not running *
* daemon not running. starting it now *
* daemon started successfully *
219 KB/s (5392 bytes in 0.024s)
[*] CVE-2010-EASY Android local root exploit (C) 2010 by 743C

[*] checking NPROC limit ...
[+] RLIMIT_NPROC={3712, 3712}
[*] Searching for adb ...
[+] Found adb as PID 29652
[*] Spawning children. Dont type anything and wait for reset!
[*]
[*] If you like what we are doing you can send us PayPal money to
[*] 7-4-3-C@web.de so we can compensate time, effort and HW costs.
[*] If you are a company and feel like you profit from our work,
[*] we also accept donations > 1000 USD!
[*]
[*] adb connection will be reset. restart adb server on desktop and re-login.
Wait for phone to reconnect...

this is exactly as far as i get everytime.. i Have to run run.bat twice before it gets past the initial press any key to continue line. and i have to kill adb about 3 times before it goes on to tell me everything failed. yadda yadda yadda. gonna keep trying tho... any advice would be awesome.

shaundizzle

Oct 19, 2010
Visit site
you should only have to kill the adb process when it gets to "adb connection will be reset. restart adb server on desktop and re-login."

and kill any of them you see. i remember seeing two.
after that it should say "daemon started successfully"

if that does not work or it says undetected, make sure you have debugging turned on. and sometimes try resetting your phone and plugging it into a different usb port.