Any Way to completely remove the default Samsung Calendar and replace it?

RENALDOK

Sep 19, 2010
Visit site
Is there a way to completely remove / replace the stock Samsung calendar with a generic Google or different calendar? I'm coming from a Palm Pre which had my favorite calendar of all time.

FYI:

Running Syndicate Rom 1.02

whippingboy

May 13, 2010
Visit site
I don't think so. But its possible if rooted you may be able to put the stock calendar on there. I recommend Launcher Pro Plus ($3) and using his fantastic widgets (only available on the Plus version). That calendar widget makes the Samsung calendar so easy to use with a toggle calendar vs. agenda view and a quick button to add events. The only lame thing is Samsung's insistence to default to the phone calendar rather than Google - but that's easily changed when you're making your event.

I'm curious what you loved about the pre calendar so much. The complete lack of Agenda view killed me and the lack of readable text size in many of the views and lack of ability to link contacts to events on device was terrible. Agendus on the previous palm generation was great- but Palms' insistence on not allowing developer access to the core Pre databases killed it for me.

I left for that very reason. Now I have loads of calendar widget options- different ways to view my calendars and tasks. And TOUCHDOWN for Microsoft Exchange server? AMAZING. It's like Outlook for your phone. There is a beta to have it sync with your local outlook if you're into that thing by the way- google it or email the developer. The Demo is free and lasts 30 days. Shame that app doesn't work with cloud accounts like Google, or I'd use it for all my PIM data needs.

ragnarokx

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
It's very possible - I've run ROMs that have the AOSP (vanilla Android) calendar in place of the Samsung one. I believe the calendar is located in "/system/app", so it's just a matter of pushing the AOSP calendar via adb or perhaps deleting the Samsung one with something like Root Explorer and putting the vanilla calendar in there.

RENALDOK

Sep 19, 2010
Visit site
I don't think so. But its possible if rooted you may be able to put the stock calendar on there. I recommend Launcher Pro Plus ($3) and using his fantastic widgets (only available on the Plus version). That calendar widget makes the Samsung calendar so easy to use with a toggle calendar vs. agenda view and a quick button to add events. The only lame thing is Samsung's insistence to default to the phone calendar rather than Google - but that's easily changed when you're making your event.

I'm curious what you loved about the pre calendar so much. The complete lack of Agenda view killed me and the lack of readable text size in many of the views and lack of ability to link contacts to events on device was terrible. Agendus on the previous palm generation was great- but Palms' insistence on not allowing developer access to the core Pre databases killed it for me.

I left for that very reason. Now I have loads of calendar widget options- different ways to view my calendars and tasks. And TOUCHDOWN for Microsoft Exchange server? AMAZING. It's like Outlook for your phone. There is a beta to have it sync with your local outlook if you're into that thing by the way- google it or email the developer. The Demo is free and lasts 30 days. Shame that app doesn't work with cloud accounts like Google, or I'd use it for all my PIM data needs.
I like the simplicity and the ease at which it easily integrated itself with my G Cal. It would give me custom reminder times, I could set it up for Sunday, Tuesday appointments for example. Of course i had it modified with home brew and tweaks thanks to WebOS install and Jay Canuck's killer software

shaundizzle

Oct 19, 2010
Visit site
If you figure this out report back. I agree Samsung calendar blows.
Although I don't use the calendar much, so when I'm running roms with the stock calendar I can't notice the difference

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk

joshandroid

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
Did you find a good alternative? I too am switching from Pre and rely heavily on my calendar. I need a week view like on the pre (and Samsung). My biggest problem is that overnight events don't show in the grid views. I work a lot of overnight shifts and need to know quickly and easily when I go to work. The Samsung calendar simply won't cut it for me...

Jinded

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
I'm not sure what the Pre one is like, but my favorite calendar app by far is Business Calendar (beta, but it works fine).

eltoozero

Feb 1, 2011
www.destruc.tv
It's very possible - I've run ROMs that have the AOSP (vanilla Android) calendar in place of the Samsung one. I believe the calendar is located in "/system/app", so it's just a matter of pushing the AOSP calendar via adb or perhaps deleting the Samsung one with something like Root Explorer and putting the vanilla calendar in there.

Sounds like something to try, where would one get an Epic compatible AOSP copy of the stock calendar apk?

With the correct info I can add it to my list of removable stock apks.

Stang68

Mar 15, 2010
Visit site
Was anyone able to figure out how to remove the stock .apk? I am trying in Root Explorer but it won't let me delete the system Calendar app bc it's "read only".

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Was anyone able to figure out how to remove the stock .apk? I am trying in Root Explorer but it won't let me delete the system Calendar app bc it's "read only".
Top Right Hand Corner in Root Explorer you will see where it says Read Only button, click on that to toggle it to write mode.

Edit: You can then rename it to "TouchWiz30Calendar.bak" so you can restore it later if you like instead of deleting it.

Stang68

Mar 15, 2010
Visit site
Ok, so I deleted it because of a whole roundabout story. Anyway, I have an APK for a Touchwiz Calendar but I can't install it through Astro for some reason. Any ideaS?

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Ok, so I deleted it because of a whole roundabout story. Anyway, I have an APK for a Touchwiz Calendar but I can't install it through Astro for some reason. Any ideaS?
Stang, I believe in an earlier post you claimed to be using Root Explorer. Use Root Explorer again, make sure your set in Write mode instead of Read Only and copy and paste the TouchWiz30Calendar.apk to /system/app/

Astro does not provide access to copy and paste to root level directories/files.

Stang68

Mar 15, 2010
Visit site
Stang, I believe in an earlier post you claimed to be using Root Explorer. Use Root Explorer again, make sure your set in Write mode instead of Read Only and copy and paste the TouchWiz30Calendar.apk to /system/app/

Astro does not provide access to copy and paste to root level directories/files.

Where do I find the TouchWiz30Calendar.apk?

Stang68

Mar 15, 2010
Visit site
What version of Froyo and what version of CWM are you running?

Edit, I'm going to take a wild guess and say EC05 and CWM 3.0.0.6. Otherwise this will still work on EB13 too..

TW30Calender (Flash in CWM 3.0.0.6)

2.2.1 on the Droid Charge, I don't think we have CWM yet. But I should still be able to install it...

Nevermind, it's a zip that's gotta be flashed in CWM. Thanks, anyways.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
2.2.1 on the Droid Charge, I don't think we have CWM yet. But I should still be able to install it...

Nevermind, it's a zip that's gotta be flashed in CWM. Thanks, anyways.
Droid Charge... Wrong section friend... This is the Epic 4g..

Go see my Adviser friend in Droid Charge section, DroidXcon. He will help you out. From what I know they are only using Odin to flash ROMs at this point so I'm not sure if its possible that way. You will probably need to download the apk and push it via ADB or use Root Explorer as I sugggested to move it to the /system/app directory. You could download the file I provided here and pull the .apk out of the CWM zip file and do as I mentioned.

Charge Rooting, ROMs, and Hacks