ROM ALERT: Stock Froyo DK17

jrdatrackstar1223

Dec 19, 2009
Visit site
Liking the ROM so far....

The only problems I can note are that it is really laggy for some reason and also GPS still doesn't work for me (indoors.....it always works and gets a quick lock outdoors). I've had 3 epics, and my second one could get a lock here in my apartment without Wi-fi, but on this one (both this ROM and stock 2.1) I can't get a lock in here for anything.

Is the the actual leak from sprint that is untouched, or is this custom? The reason I ask is because when I look up the name of the ROM under settings it is "kodane"

ragnarokx

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
The only things that aren't stock on this ROM are Clockwork and the fact that it's rooted. If you want more speed, try a custom Froyo ROM. Now that you have the stock Froyo w/modem on your phone, you can directly flash any of the latest Froyo custom ROMs from Clockwork. I'm loving Quantum myself, very snappy. If you're a fan of Epic Experience I believe schizopunk is almost ready to release a Froyo ROM.

ragnarokx

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
The lag fix was kind of a joke by the maker of Quantum - he said himself that it does nothing for the phone's performance, it just gives you a 2200+ Quadrant score. He was making a point that Quadrant scores are worthless.

jrdatrackstar1223

Dec 19, 2009
Visit site
I've loaded Quantum and love it more than the other DK17 ROM. However, GPS still doesn't work for me and the browser is a little slower because of Flash (I'm assuming). Also, is the DRM still an issue in these ROMS because the battery is draining a little quick. Gonna try it for the remainder of the day and see if I can keep it or go back stock.

ragnarokx

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
I haven't tried GPS yet on mine, but I believe you can turn off flash to try and improve browser speed by going into settings. As for DRM, there used to be 2 processes in Eclair that I disabled from starting up but now there's just one. I disabled it and am getting very good battery life (not sure if it's because of that but take it for what it's worth).

Reactions: jrdatrackstar1223

jrdatrackstar1223

Dec 19, 2009
Visit site
I see. Well....I think I'm gonna go back to 2.1 stock, but I'm having a problem. When I try to use the DI18 update.zip, it gives me an error. I guess I need to use Odin and use the pit and radio files, but I don't know where they are. I want to be able to use Flash, but I guess it's not that stable because you can't update it (the instructions say not to on Quantum). Also, the Youtube doesn't work well (even the the UI change is something awesome).

Guess I'll just have to wait for the source code to be released. But by then it'll probably be time for a new phone =(

ragnarokx

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
If you want to use Odin to go back to 2.1 use this sticky.

As for Flash, the reason Quantum says not to update it is because it's a special version designed to work with Hulu. If you don't care about Hulu, go ahead and update. And I only used YouTube for a minute, but I'll check it out again for problems.

Reactions: jrdatrackstar1223

Tech_Hunter

Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
Quick question for those running this rom: Did Froyo fix the problem about using microphone while bluetooth is connected? On 2.1, after using my bluetooth headset for a call, the microphone does not work for camcorder, vlingo, voice search, etc. until I either re-boot the phone, or turn off bluetooth then either make a call or use voice dialer (took a lot of trial and error to find these ways to reset). I don't need to use voice commands through bluetooth, just want to have a working microphone for non-phone operations

I'm sure someone will tell me to install the rom and find out for myself, but to be honest, I'm still new to this and rely on my phone daily for work, so I don't want to flash the new modem unless I know this works now. Hopefully, someone with this rom and a bluetooth headset can give it a try and let me know if it works.

Thanks.

jrdatrackstar1223

Dec 19, 2009
Visit site
Quick question for those running this rom: Did Froyo fix the problem about using microphone while bluetooth is connected? On 2.1, after using my bluetooth headset for a call, the microphone does not work for camcorder, vlingo, voice search, etc. until I either re-boot the phone, or turn off bluetooth then either make a call or use voice dialer (took a lot of trial and error to find these ways to reset). I don't need to use voice commands through bluetooth, just want to have a working microphone for non-phone operations

I'm sure someone will tell me to install the rom and find out for myself, but to be honest, I'm still new to this and rely on my phone daily for work, so I don't want to flash the new modem unless I know this works now. Hopefully, someone with this rom and a bluetooth headset can give it a try and let me know if it works.

Thanks.

I personally don't use bluetooth because I have a hard enough time getting a day out of my smartphones as it is, but I did read somewhere that 2.2 does fix this.

jrdatrackstar1223

Dec 19, 2009
Visit site
weird....after flashing back to complete stock DI18 my GPS now works indoors like my old Epics before this one.....:confused:

Now I have a big problem. My phone gets stuck in landscape mode now, but the only way for me to fix it is to go to sound and display and uncheck automatic orientation. Also, no matter what selection I have for that option, the browser doesn't rotate anymore.

Last edited:

musclehead84

Oct 24, 2010
Visit site
I wanted to flash this to my phone but inhave a question. I'm rooted without clockwork installed and I was reading peoples posts on xda and one person said make sure you clear cache and data before flashing. I thought that was something you did if you have clockwork and this is for people without clockwork so what is he talking about? Thanks

ragnarokx

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
weird....after flashing back to complete stock DI18 my GPS now works indoors like my old Epics before this one.....:confused:

Now I have a big problem. My phone gets stuck in landscape mode now, but the only way for me to fix it is to go to sound and display and uncheck automatic orientation. Also, no matter what selection I have for that option, the browser doesn't rotate anymore.

http://forum.androidcentral.com/epic-4g-roms-hacks/46292-landscape-screen-orientation-broke-after-custom-rom.html

I wanted to flash this to my phone but inhave a question. I'm rooted without clockwork installed and I was reading peoples posts on xda and one person said make sure you clear cache and data before flashing. I thought that was something you did if you have clockwork and this is for people without clockwork so what is he talking about? Thanks

If you can hold off for a few hours, a newer version of Froyo just became available on XDA (DK28). Someone just posted a zip for it and it is untested as of yet - as soon as reports come back that people are flashing successfully, you can jump in.

musclehead84

Oct 24, 2010
Visit site
Wow that was fast. Good going guys. Just for future references what dos that mean to cLear cache and data? I know u do that in clockwork before flashing a new rom but this thread is for users without clockwork so what did that user mean when he said make sure to clear data and cache?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol