Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Screen orientation/tilt problems

So I've loaded around 3 Froyo ROMS and the camera bugs were too much for me to keep them as daily ROMS. So I loaded the .tar and .pit files for stock 2.1 and now my phone won't go into landscape in the browser unless I slide the keyboard open. When I close the keyboard, the phone will not go back to portrait mode.

The only way I can get this to work is if I de-select auto screen orientation. Even when I do this, the browser does not rotate to landscape without the keyboard being open (doesn't matter if automatic orientation is selected or not....it doesn't rotate).

Quote Originally Posted by jrdatrackstar View Post
    So I've loaded around 3 Froyo ROMS and the camera bugs were too much for me to keep them as daily ROMS. So I loaded the .tar and .pit files for stock 2.1 and now my phone won't go into landscape in the browser unless I slide the keyboard open. When I close the keyboard, the phone will not go back to portrait mode.

The only way I can get this to work is if I de-select auto screen orientation. Even when I do this, the browser does not rotate to landscape without the keyboard being open (doesn't matter if automatic orientation is selected or not....it doesn't rotate).

Try downloading Android terminal from market(if you are still rooted).

Then type.....

Su (hit enter)
    /system/bin/sensorcalibutil_yamaha (hit enter)

Then follow the instructions on screen and reboot. See if that helps.
    Last edited by lpsteve72; 11-30-2010 at 12:41 AM. Reason: fix error
    Thanked by 6:
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Quote Originally Posted by lpsteve72 View Post

Then type.....

Su (hit enter)

Thank you so much.....this worked. The instructions are confusing, however, but luckily I remembered that like all calibration utilities require you to sit the phone on the table lol.

ive actually not run into any problems running froyo.

you may have done something wrong.
    even the camera works fine. i just took a couple pictures to make sure again. music is kinda laggy on last fm, but seems fine from sd - although ive only listened to a couple songs on sd.

the only things i find wrong, or ui things that i think they couldve made better.
    EPIC 4G
    ROM: QUANTUM 2.O
    KERNEL: STOCK

5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Hmmm...everytime I've tried to use the camera I had a problem where if I left chose gallery or changed any settings in the camera and tried to take another picture it wouldn't take another picture and would just focus but not take the snapshot.

I've read numerous cases of others having these problems as well. It sucks because I miss having flash so bad and being able to view my class lectures without the need of my laptop.

If it makes any difference....I've been using the latest builds that use Odin and .tar and .pit files for easy rooting and ROM uploading, so I don't know how I could have done anything wrong. So far, I've used Quantum's newest build, the stock DK17 ROM, and Viper's newest ROM, all of them having the same camera issue :-(

If it weren't for that bug id still be using froyo, unless there is a way to get FULL FLASH working on stock 2.1..........
    Last edited by jrdatrackstar; 11-30-2010 at 06:56 PM.

I don't think you can do anything about flash.
    But I'm gonna test out the camera some more and get back to you.

Also idk if your in a 4g area, but did you have problems using 4g with quantums latest rom?
    I for some reason can't even open a website or speed test

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk
    EPIC 4G
    ROM: QUANTUM 2.O
    KERNEL: STOCK

Global Posts
    55 Global Posts

How can I get my accelerometer back if I'm NOT rooted? Just flashed to DK28, then Odin'd back to DK18; landscape/portrait switch no longer works. Tried that Android Terminal, but apparently doesn't work for a non-rooted phone? (can't find the path after typing 'su')

Then type.....

Su (hit enter)

This fix requires root access, and it is the only fix I know of, sorry!

Global Posts
    55 Global Posts

How about if I Odin all the way back to DGxx (not sure of the #), then let OTA's update me back to DI18. Think that would work??

Quote Originally Posted by ragnarokx View Post
    This fix requires root access, and it is the only fix I know of, sorry!

Global Posts
    582 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock 4.1.1

Quote Originally Posted by Marsh511 View Post
    How can I get my accelerometer back if I'm NOT rooted? Just flashed to DK28, then Odin'd back to DK18; landscape/portrait switch no longer works. Tried that Android Terminal, but apparently doesn't work for a non-rooted phone? (can't find the path after typing 'su')
    Try z4root. It's a 1 click simple root tool and then the same to unroot. It might allow you to do what you need.
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    55 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mobius360 View Post
    Try z4root. It's a 1 click simple root tool and then the same to unroot. It might allow you to do what you need.
    Thanks for the suggestion, but a "might" isn't good enough, especially since I've never rooted any phone and the Epic 4g is my wife's...and she's already pretty upset I started messing around with her "perfectly good" phone - except her email was stopping synching every other day.

It works.... I'm going though same BS you are with my girlfriend. In my case mine was the phone that wouldn't rotate after going back to the stock rom.

I tried the fix he suggested with the z4root and then downloaded the terminal from the market. typed in the commands and rebooted my phone and it works. Hopefully nothing else breaks as I'm sick of tinkering with the phone.

Thanks for the suggestions

ROM
    SRF 1.1.1

Default Accelerometer troubles after roll back from dk28

After updating to Froyo (prior to finding out it wasn't such a good idea) I calibrated the accelerometer. I started having significant problems with the phone last night and spent some time figuring out how to roll back to 2.1. Since then, the screen doesn't seem to be responding to the tilt and my compass will not calibrate. GPS took quite awhile to find a lock but eventually got it.

I am torn between finding a different ROM such as Truly Epic (since I took the plunge and rooted during this whole frustrating process) or just waiting for an OTA. Either way, it would be nice to have a (semi-)working phone again...

Any direction someone can give me would be appreciated!

Did you use odin to return back to stock?

ROM
    SRF 1.1.1

Quote Originally Posted by jbuggydroid View Post
    Did you use odin to return back to stock?
    Yes I did.

ROM
    SRF 1.1.1

Then type.....

Su (hit enter)

So I've tried running this several times. Keeps giving me a failure. I've tried doing the re-root through z4root, rebooting, and still nothing.

The failures I get are:

msmachdep_Init failed
    calibration utilities failed
    Su: not found
    access: Permission denied

Hence why I tried re-rooting and re-booting.

Sounds like you're not rooted. Download and run Superuser from the Market to confirm you have root access.

ROM
    SRF 1.1.1

It appears that I have root access. Super user has android terminal, Titanium backup, etc., as allowed. When I run the command in terminal, it keeps showing Su not found, but when I go to the gear and hit the su with the magnifying glass, a pop-up says "Found SU file Located in /system/bin/" which is what I'm assuming it should say.

You could try unrooting with z4root and rooting again using Procedure 2. If z4root doesn't work Procedure 2 usually does.

ROM
    SRF 1.1.1

Definitely rooted now. Still getting same failures from terminal. What other options can I check out?

This is the only method I know of. Try a different terminal emulator, hopefully it's the app.
    Thanked by 2:

ROM
    SRF 1.1.1

Bingo! Loaded a different emulator and it did the trick! For future referance (and others who are new to this) I used the Android Terminal Emulator from Jack Palevich. Not as flashy as the one from linxmap, but since it worked and the other didn't, I'll give my props to Jack!
    Thanked by:

Didn't know there was a different emulator. I assumed you were using that one to begin with. If I had known which emulator you used I would have told ya the one I used to fix mine. Glad you got it working. Finally got mine to calibrate too last night. had issues with the sensors not working in flying games. calibrated it once and it somewhat fixed it, so I calibrated again and it was fixed.

ROM
    SRF 1.1.1

Yes well, I assumed any should work... See where assuming gets us?
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    26 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mjbelknap View Post
    Bingo! Loaded a different emulator and it did the trick! For future referance (and others who are new to this) I used the Android Terminal Emulator from Jack Palevich. Not as flashy as the one from linxmap, but since it worked and the other didn't, I'll give my props to Jack!
    I also could not get the calibration to work with the app by linxmap. The emulator from Jack saved the day! Thanks mj
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast