Anyone trying out DK28 yet?

ragnarokx

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
Hm I might have spoken too soon about the GPS. A lot of people on XDA are still having problems.

Ragnarokx the update to froyo isn't going to be ota?

Only a very very few number of people have reported getting this OTA, and they all had (under About phone) Hardware version D700.0.4, which is rare.

Ha virtual hi-five...

Also, I don't care for the new messaging however.. can that be changed? It's way to colorful for me.

This is actually what we were supposed to have from the beginning - all the other Galaxy S phones have this version. But XDA posted the Eclair messaging app for DK17, so I'm sure they'll do the same for DK28 eventually.

oregonbruin

Sep 2, 2010
Visit site
I just updated to stock build 2.2.1 (from completely stock 2.1) via recovery mode and it is working great so far. I am already glad to see the screen rotate 270 degrees amongst the other Froyo benefits. I am anxious to see if any bugs show up.

Since9600

Oct 24, 2010
Visit site
I just updated to stock build 2.2.1 (from completely stock 2.1) via recovery mode and it is working great so far. I am already glad to see the screen rotate 270 degrees amongst the other Froyo benefits. I am anxious to see if any bugs show up.

Oh snap.. I just tried that... almost a new phone... just hoping the GPS holds up.

Last edited:

Since9600

Oct 24, 2010
Visit site
This is actually what we were supposed to have from the beginning - all the other Galaxy S phones have this version. But XDA posted the Eclair messaging app for DK17, so I'm sure they'll do the same for DK28 eventually.

Good to hear. I personally feel the old messaging app is way superior. This new one seems too 'kiddie'... blue and yellow??? ugh lol.. maybe if we had the ability to change the color...

raymondjoshua#AC

Dec 5, 2010
Visit site
Works for me so far ....

I have a stock epic 4g and I installed the update via the brief mobile method and it worked easily enough, gps locks in milliseconds and there are a few cosmetic changes and apps added so far and a mute button added to the upper task bar.

Reactions: fgcchevy

pjjohn73

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
My GPS has always worked OKish, but my "Use Wireless Networks" has NEVER worked. So if I just want to pull up the local weather I have to turn on my GPS instead of just using the locations services based of the cell towers. I have not read about anyone else with Wireless Network problems, only GPS problems. Does anyone know anything about it and if this update may fix it?

Update:
Well I have to say so far I am VERY happy. I changed the name to update.zip and put at root of my sdcard, booted to recovery and updated. Took awhile to load up the first time and all seems well so far. And it fixed the "Use Wireless Networks" problem I had above since buying the EPIC. It was driving me nuts and was the only thing that I did not like about the EPIC. So I am VERY happy. I just decided to try my GPS as that worked before, now it does not work at ALL. So no longer as happy. I will have to mess with that some and see what happens.

Ok Got GPS to work too. Had to restore DI18 with ODIN then update to DK28. Now everything seems to be great except the orientation for portrait/landscape is sluggish and the photo app Gallery is slow. Everything else is good so far and I like it very much.

Last edited:

Balzak

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
Did the update.zip renamed update method and it worked. So far so good. Like mentioned before, I did have to relog into google from the warning on the notification bar. :) Thanks all!

Malefickus

Dec 19, 2009
Visit site
Was able to do this using the stock recovery mode method, but the Sprint Hotspot doesn't work properly. It says its active, but when I connect computer or iPad to it, it doesn't get data passing through.

Let me change that. After power cycling the phone, it started working fine.

Arcangel1000

Dec 5, 2010
Visit site
So if this is only to test froyo will I be able to update my epic when the final froyo comes out if I do this? Also where should I save the file again? Also how is flash since its the main thing i want. Oh and has anyone run quadrant yeat? what were the results?

ragnarokx

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
So if this is only to test froyo will I be able to update my epic when the final froyo comes out if I do this? Also where should I save the file again? Also how is flash since its the main thing i want. Oh and has anyone run quadrant yeat? what were the results?

If you use this version of Froyo, you will not be able to update OTA when the official official version comes out. But no worries, there will be non-OTA update methods posted here of the official update so you will be fine.

I can't help you with Quadrant being I don't use any benchmark programs, sorry!

Reactions: Arcangel1000

Arcangel1000

Dec 5, 2010
Visit site
Oh ok thanks, im a noob at this and even had to google the term "OTA". Now i must look for what "flashing the file" means so i can do this thing. hopefully flash is worth all this :D . And no worries about the quadrant thing, as long as it doesnt get slower ill be fine.

dietrichmd#AC

Sep 5, 2010
Visit site
ive noticed mine, once i have resigned in and everything to all my apps, runs a lil bit faster....well, alot faster. and web surfing seems to be smoother now as well.

the one thing i think really needs to be fixed, if not altogether redesigned is the new app pages. they used to be sorted alphabetically, and now, sprints bloatware is up front.

if there is already a way to fix that, someone plz let me know. otherwise, if anyone can find a workaround....

thanks

ragnarokx

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
Oh ok thanks, im a noob at this and even had to google the term "OTA". Now i must look for what "flashing the file" means so i can do this thing. hopefully flash is worth all this :D . And no worries about the quadrant thing, as long as it doesnt get slower ill be fine.

"Flashing" is just a fancy term for installing. Sorry for the tech lingo, I don't realize how much I use it sometimes :)

If your phone is completely stock/unmodified this should be an easy update. Just follow the first set of instructions here. You can post in this thread if you have any questions.

ragnarokx

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
ive noticed mine, once i have resigned in and everything to all my apps, runs a lil bit faster....well, alot faster. and web surfing seems to be smoother now as well.

the one thing i think really needs to be fixed, if not altogether redesigned is the new app pages. they used to be sorted alphabetically, and now, sprints bloatware is up front.

if there is already a way to fix that, someone plz let me know. otherwise, if anyone can find a workaround....

thanks

Tap Applications, then hit your menu button, then Edit, then menu button again, then "a-z Sort".

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nikoczzzz