Four Ways to Fix GPS Problems in Froyo

Status
Not open for further replies.

rogodeter

Jan 5, 2011
Visit site
Update to my question about how Procedure 4 works.

I'm still confused because I was expecting Procedure 4 to wipe out the phone just like when I took it out of the box. This is NOT the case, at least with the phone configuration I have

• Started with Factory Fresh phone with Eclair
  • Restored to stock Froyo from here
  • ext4 fix with CWMOD3 applied from link here
  • Truly Epic Rebirth 1.2 ROM installed

Anyway... GPS locks now anyway, even though the procedure did not produce what I expected. So, I guess all is good in the world anyway... But, this brings up a question I have which I am sure has been answered. Could somebody point me to a post or thread where I can find it..

Q: Can somebody explain to me how Clockwork works ( where it sits and what it DOES when it installs a .zip ROM file ) or point me to a post that does it?

For example, I THOUGHT that when I installed Clockwork, that Clockwork was a bootloader with some code for formatting the entire system partition and expanding a ROM onto it (like an IMAGE backup). Now I think that a ROM just overrides some packages of the installed operating system. Is either of those correct, or something else entirely?

Thanks.

rogodeter

Jan 5, 2011
Visit site
I almost forgot

Thank you, NYCSUBWAYRAT, Procedure #4 that you provided worked perfectly to address my non-functioning GPS. It now locks and basically instantly.

My other posts are to figure out why it worked differently than I expected.

Fixing the GPS no fix issue on the Samsung Epic 4g requires you to do a manufacturer's reset by obtaining the MSL code from Sprint. Once you get the MSL Code, remove the SD Card and Enter ##786# on the dialer keypad. You will see two options: View and Reset. Tap on the Reset option and you will get a prompt to enter the MSL code. At this point you will be asked if you want to do a manufacter's reset, enter yes. The phone will shut down and reset itself after a few seconds. Once the process is complete, the phone will go through a hands free activation. After the activation process, updates may be downloaded and installed. Now that all updates have been performed, you may check to see if your GPS is working by going to Google Maps. You should be able to lock in GPS signal in under 10 seconds. Thats it. Your GPS woes are over.

ragnarokx

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
Now I think that a ROM just overrides some packages of the installed operating system. Is either of those correct, or something else entirely?

Thanks.

That's pretty close. Clockwork is just a UI for writing/formatting files and folders before the OS starts up. For Clockwork's location, take a look at the command prompt screen shots from this thread (post #1).

NYCSUBWAYRAT

Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
I would like to thank all those that have thanked me for procedure #4. I'm no real brainiac with these things but I do get frustrated when my gear doesn't work as designed. So I try to find solutions and thankfully after a few days dealing with Sprint and trying to find ways to rectify my issue with the GPS not fixing, I found a tech that got it to work. I have shared this infomation with those that have had similar problems with the GPS. This reset does not revert the epic back to Eclair, but it does solve the GPS problem. Besides, why would anyone roll back? After the reset, the phone works beautifully. No downloads, installs, flashes. It's plain and simple and it works.

redsand514

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
procedure #4 appears to have done the trick, thanks to everyone on this thread and forum for helping out a complete newb.

For other ppl who are in a similar situation:

I'm running (what does baseband and kernal mean)

Firmware: 2.21
Baseband version: S:D700.0.5S.DK28
Kernal: 2.6.32.9
Bulid: TrulyEpic Rebirth v1.2 AC Edition

I'll update if I run into any problems. Thanks again!

Turbocivic803

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Procedure 4 worked GREAT for me only problem I ran into is an error with the software update but I really needed my GPS So you get 4 thumbs up from me.

NYCSUBWAYRAT

Kikoshi

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
oddly step 4 wasn't working for me, after adding the MSL number, the phone reseted as expected, but after it passed the bootop process(phone detail ect..) it took me to the trulyepic ac pretty desintagrating screen, but instead of the phone jumping into the desktop it vibrates, and restarts again, boot-process (vibrates),desintagrating S(vibrates), and so on, i only let it go for a few, and gonna try again, due to i think is a Mall functioning with the MidNight Theme, i got :/.
ok.. now when my phone is trying to go through the activation, it FC's on me.. ive reseted the phone and nothing yet.

Last edited:

265ada

Sep 12, 2010
Visit site
confirm STEP 4 WORKS

I would like to thank all those that have thanked me for procedure #4. I'm no real brainiac with these things but I do get frustrated when my gear doesn't work as designed. So I try to find solutions and thankfully after a few days dealing with Sprint and trying to find ways to rectify my issue with the GPS not fixing, I found a tech that got it to work. I have shared this infomation with those that have had similar problems with the GPS. This reset does not revert the epic back to Eclair, but it does solve the GPS problem. Besides, why would anyone roll back? After the reset, the phone works beautifully. No downloads, installs, flashes. It's plain and simple and it works.

I would like to move that step #4 be moved to step #1? since it is by far the simplest step and fastest?

this is after flashing Trulyepic rom 1.2 and having no gps lock! when I had a lock in dk 28 prior to rom installation

ragnarokx

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
I would change the number, but then it would be confusing to anyone reading this thread to see what procedure # worked for people.

265ada

Sep 12, 2010
Visit site
Perhaps

I would change the number, but then it would be confusing to anyone reading this thread to see what procedure # worked for people.

How about just before reading about the steps 1-4 you can state Step #4 appears to be the fastest and there are people reporting that it works to try step 4 first?

Denver Dave

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
I tried number 3, which did not work, then went for #4. It worked, but I'm spending the rest of the day re-downloading apps, re-entering passwords, etc. I'm not the most technical guy, so perhaps this could have been avoided, but the GPS does now work. Hooray for that.

NYCSUBWAYRAT

Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
I tried number 3, which did not work, then went for #4. It worked, but I'm spending the rest of the day re-downloading apps, re-entering passwords, etc. I'm not the most technical guy, so perhaps this could have been avoided, but the GPS does now work. Hooray for that.
Thats the cost of getting your GPS to work again.

jshaffer85

Jan 7, 2011
Visit site
Weird thing happened to me. I tried #4. Entered MSL code and hit reset. Then had a popup that the android phone process had hung up so I force closed it.

The phone didn't reset and kicked back to the home screen and so put my SD card back in to check GPS status (where it was installed) and there were now satellites there and I got a fix quickly with 9 satellites.

I did not have any satellites before. I'm running the Truly epic ROM.

Tech_Hunter

Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
If that ROM does the trick for you, I will give it a shot. We seem to be having the exact same problem so hopefully the same solution will apply for both of us.

After two days, Midnight Rom 2.9 seems to have done the trick. I lost gps signal two times, but it was short and in areas of bad service. I'll keep trying for a few more days before I declare victory.

If this really fixes it, then anything based on the newest Bonsai or Midnight Roms should work.

ragnarokx

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
Everyone's phone is different. One ROM that has great GPS for one phone could have horrible GPS on another phone. On top that, GPS may not even be tied to ROMs at all. Flash the same ROM multiple times and you'll most likely get mixed GPS results.

Apollo83

Sep 26, 2010
Visit site
#4 Worked for me!! So far so good!!! Running Bonsai Ext4.. Did number #4, didnt lose root but i did have to download all my apps again.. Great Job!

Status
Not open for further replies.