Four Ways to Fix GPS Problems in Froyo

Status
Not open for further replies.

MonkDong

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
Thanks so much. Running froyo and used both 3rd and 4th methods. I am not sure which worked because I was trying to test the gps in my apartment, which apparently does not get good signal in the first place. Once I got to open ground it linked up fast. Just a heads up for ppl trying this, make sure you are in place that has a signal to start.

NYCSUBWAYRAT

Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
Thanks so much. Running froyo and used both 3rd and 4th methods. I am not sure which worked because I was trying to test the gps in my apartment, which apparently does not get good signal in the first place. Once I got to open ground it linked up fast. Just a heads up for ppl trying this, make sure you are in place that has a signal to start.
If you did the 4th method after the 3rd, it was probably the 4th method that worked at the end, saying the 4th method overrid the 3rd.

DrRPDB

Jan 20, 2011
Visit site
So I tried the 4th method and now my phone will not even connect to google. When I start it up I get a forced error right off the bat! It says "com.android.phone has stoped working" any help here would be great!! Thanks Russ

O ya I had tried the 3 method as well...didnt work either :(

ragnarokx

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
You can try doing a factory reset using the stock recovery. While your phone is off, hold: volume down+camera+power buttons to enter the recovery menu.

If that doesn't work, use Odin to reset your phone.

4ekbrandon

Dec 3, 2010
Visit site
My phone won't activate and has tons and tons of force closes after attempting #4.

Went in to phone info, my number is no longer there.

Suggestions?

Edit: Fixed it. If anyone else has the issue, pop your SD card in, wait for EVERYTHING to restore properly, then turn off and on your phone. Activation went through after that(as opposed to a reset without the SD card and gmail sync).

Reactions: ragnarokx

ESlogic

Jan 5, 2011
Visit site
so the forth way bricked my phone.
it wouldn't start the handsfree activation. it kept force closing on me. also, i still had my themes and everything... i Did it while on the the Truely epic 1.2 AC. any ideas on what happened and how to fix my phone??? i'm gonna try odin. should i go back to 2.1? or should i go to DK28???? please help....

ragnarokx

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
Read the post directly above yours - does that help? If it doesn't I would take this opportunity to Odin back to Eclair, get a GPS lock and then flash Froyo.

ESlogic

Jan 5, 2011
Visit site
i went strait too DK28. and got a lock down to 30 meters.... i downloaded it before hand so i said screw it and gave it a shot

also... when i turned it off, it wouldnt budge.. not even samsung screen came on.... i was gonna try what he suggested. good news though.. my phone is back =]

Mobius360

Aug 26, 2010
Visit site
I did #3, seems all is working well.
5376648121_8d47a9d36f.jpg

5376648011_5efcb99a45.jpg

dilbert33

Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
Im on froyo now, and I get quick gps locks, and they are fairly accurate, and everything appears to work, but my accuracy seems consistantly off. It will report a small accuracy, say several feet at bests (depends on how many sat i can see), but when you use the Satellite layer in google maps or in my geocache program (c:geo, which I highly recommend for any geocachers out there) the marker for my location is much further away than I really am, perhaps up to 80 feet I would estimate. The aerial images are very good (as are most areas), and you can zoom in very close to see the difference between where I am standing, and where the gps says I am. When I was back on eclair stock, the marker was always right on, every time. Its like there is a incorrect (or unadjusted?) "shift" in the coordinate system, if you get my meaning. Ive tried option #3 for gps fixes, but no change. Any suggestions? Im curious about #4, but dont know if it will help or not.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
You could try option #4 but if I remember correctly this option resets your phone. Its like starting over again, but that is the price you pay to achieve a working GPS.

Keep in mind these are simply fixes, no guarantees no promises. They work for many and don't work at all for others.

rogodeter

Jan 5, 2011
Visit site
I'll do a test for you in a bit...

Im on froyo now, and I get quick gps locks, and they are fairly accurate, and everything appears to work, but my accuracy seems consistantly off. It will report a small accuracy, say several feet at bests (depends on how many sat i can see), but when you use the Satellite layer in google maps or in my geocache program (c:geo, which I highly recommend for any geocachers out there) the marker for my location is much further away than I really am, perhaps up to 80 feet I would estimate. The aerial images are very good (as are most areas), and you can zoom in very close to see the difference between where I am standing, and where the gps says I am. When I was back on eclair stock, the marker was always right on, every time. Its like there is a incorrect (or unadjusted?) "shift" in the coordinate system, if you get my meaning. Ive tried option #3 for gps fixes, but no change. Any suggestions? Im curious about #4, but dont know if it will help or not.

Not that it would be an authoritative test, but I performed recommendation #4 and it worked for me. Prior to it, I had no ability to get a GPS fix on my location, it would just seek forever. Afterwards, it was very quick. I have not done a test for accuracy of the location. I can test at least what I am getting and let you know. Would it be good enough to stand outside at an intersection, get a FIX, open maps, and compare how far the map's location is to what the stated accuracy is?

(also... I saw a screen of the post above yours -- that is NOT GPS Status app, AFAIK. can I get a similar accuracy reading from GPS Status app?)

Let me know

rogodeter

Jan 5, 2011
Visit site
@Mobius360 -- What is the application you are using to show your GPS accuracy? I have installed GPS status, as per one of the other suggested fixes (to reset GPS), and I don't think that is one of the screens from the GPS Status app.

Thanks

bojackson

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
im running trulyepic rom. tried option three with no real improvement. is option 1 my best alternative? will this cause me to lose root?

mouseglider

Dec 11, 2009
Visit site
@Mobius360 -- What is the application you are using to show your GPS accuracy? I have installed GPS status, as per one of the other suggested fixes (to reset GPS), and I don't think that is one of the screens from the GPS Status app.

Thanks

If you are talking about the top "blue" screen, the program is called GPS Test

rogodeter

Jan 5, 2011
Visit site
Option 4 worked for me...

... and I did not lose root, or anything else. I remained on TrulyEpic and all was well, with the exception of a working GPS... At least that is my experience.

im running trulyepic rom. tried option three with no real improvement. is option 1 my best alternative? will this cause me to lose root?

bojackson

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
... and I did not lose root, or anything else. I remained on TrulyEpic and all was well, with the exception of a working GPS... At least that is my experience.

i read somewhere else in this thread that option 4 completely resets your phone

If you are talking about the top "blue" screen, the program is called GPS Test

how did you pull up that screen in the app? i have the app but im not very good with it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andrewsmith