Terminology?

2sslow

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
First let me say I'm a noob to Android but i'm not new to hacking. Ive been on the WebOs forums for a year and a half and created many patches. I know Android is similar but also very different.

There are quite a bit of differences. The Terminology in particular.

I'm hoping some of you gurus here can help me understand the differences.

I get the basics as I am rooted running the leaked Froyo 2.2 on my Epic4g. What I'm not clear on is what certain things are and in what order to do them.

You guys here are really good at what you do however there is still some things I've been unable to find.

Q 1: Could someone Please explain what the modem is
A 1) The file your phone uses to communicate with cellular towers. I know this because when people update the rest of their OS and not their modem they get no signal!

Q 2: What is the pit (is this the kernel?)
3: What does the .tar file contain? is this the Rom?
A 2 & 3) The .tar file contains the modem, the kernel, and the rest of the Android OS files. It is possible to flash only the modem - it is a .bin file, and can be flashed using the Phone section of Odin. I've never really thought about what the .pit is for, but it is only a few KBs so I'm assuming it's some sort of update script (you never flash .bin or .tar without it).

Q 4: What does the rom contain? Does it contain the modem and pit?
A 4) This varies, but usually contains all files in the "data/", "kernel_update/", "META-INF/" and "system/ " folders, but no modem.

Q 5: Does Changing Roms change the kernel.
A 5) Only if the kernel is packaged with the ROM, which varies from dev to dev.

Q 6: Can I change kernels w/o changing roms? Is there an order I need to follow when changing roms vs kernels.
A 6) Yes to the first question, no to the second. Some people run stock ROMs with custom kernels.

Q 7: Some roms state that I must have dk28 modem and pit, If I already have them in my current configuration can I just install the rom w/o a problem?
A 7) Since these files are not overwritten by flashing ROMs/kernels, they need only be installed once.

Q 8: I believe dk28 is the firmware revision for Froyo 2.2, is this correct? Do the modem and kernel have to have the same firmware #?
A 8) Yes to the first question. To the second: you will almost always run into problems using kernels that are not built for your firmware.

Q 9: I see different revisions such as DI17, DI18 are these for eclair 2.1 (i believe).
10: Is there a guide to what firmware revisions are for what version?
A 9 & 10) In chronological order: DG27, DI07, DI18 (Eclair) | DK05, DK17, DK28, not yet leaked -> DL06 (Froyo). And btw these names are based on build dates. Example: DK28, K = month (November), 28 = day, and I assume D = the first letter of our device name.

Thanks to ragnarokx for the quick response.

Sorry I know this is a lot of questions and some may definitely sound noobish so please dont flame. Im trying to understand this as its alot different than WebOs.

Im going to reserve the second post here for other questions as I think of them. I will update this post with the answers as they are given.

Hopefully this will help other noobs to get some simple plain english answers to these questions in one spot.

This is not meant to be another how to root thread its to get answers in one place.

Thanks for helping. Im really liking Android so far.

2sslow

Last edited:

ragnarokx

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
We don't flame people here, so no need to worry about that (if that rare rouge member does just let me know). I'll take a stab at your list.

1) The file your phone uses to communicate with cellular towers. I know this because when people update the rest of their OS and not their modem they get no signal!

2 & 3) The .tar file contains the modem, the kernel, and the rest of the Android OS files. It is possible to flash only the modem - it is a .bin file, and can be flashed using the Phone section of Odin. I've never really thought about what the .pit is for, but it is only a few KBs so I'm assuming it's some sort of update script (you never flash .bin or .tar without it).

4) This varies, but usually contains all files in the "data/", "kernel_update/", "META-INF/" and "system/ " folders, but no modem.

5) Only if the kernel is packaged with the ROM, which varies from dev to dev.

6) Yes to the first question, no to the second. Some people run stock ROMs with custom kernels.

7) Since these files are not overwritten by flashing ROMs/kernels, they need only be installed once.

8) Yes to the first question. To the second: you will almost always run into problems using kernels that are not built for your firmware.

9 & 10) In chronological order: DG27, DI07, DI18 (Eclair) | DK05, DK17, DK28, not yet leaked -> DL06 (Froyo). And btw these names are based on build dates. Example: DK28, K = month (November), 28 = day, and I assume D = the first letter of our device name.

Reactions: 2sslow

2sslow

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
So for #6 if I wish to keep my kernel and I install a rom w/ kernel ill need to reinstall my kernel after I flash the new rom? Correct.

Also I have installed the translucent notifications via clockworkMod. How do I uninstall a zip add on?

Last edited:

ragnarokx

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
Correct.

Advanced Way: find out what file(s) you modified (framework-res.apk, etc) and make a zip that is flashable through ClockworkMod Recovery using the old files from the ROM you're currently using.

Easy/Common Way: just reflash the ROM that you're on to overwrite the modified files. Your data/apps/settings will remain intact, as long as the developer has not written a command in the update script to format your system folder (they usually don't).

Reactions: 2sslow