Stuck in System Recovery <2e> manual mode

drewjohn

Dec 18, 2009
Visit site
I was trying to fix my gps on 2.2 and flashed back to 2.1 than got the gps lock and flashed back to a saved rom by recovery.

now i'm stuck on a "Android system recovery <2e> Manual mode. It a screen with blue words and a pic of an exclamation piont. I try to apply update.zip but it says E:cant mount dev/block/vold/179:1
No such file of directory
E: cant mount SDCARD:update.zip

I can use odin because my computer wont recognize my phone. i downloaded the drivers over and over, used 2 different computers, and used 2 different USB cords.

HELP

BBooDad

Jul 8, 2010
Visit site
I was trying to fix my gps on 2.2 and flashed back to 2.1 than got the gps lock and flashed back to a saved rom by recovery.

now i'm stuck on a "Android system recovery <2e> Manual mode. It a screen with blue words and a pic of an exclamation piont. I try to apply update.zip but it says E:cant mount dev/block/vold/179:1

I can use odin because my computer wont recognize my phone. i downloaded the drivers over and over, used 2 different computers, and used 2 different USB cords.

HELP
I had no luck with the USB drivers from the non-Samsung links. However, here is the link to Samsung's site. I used this link they finally worked to unbrick my Epic after trying DK28. Make sure you click on "Software" to get to the actual drivers.

Samsung

The entire link that got me up and running again is here:
If you are unrooted and need help going back to DI18 Eclair - Android Forums

Good luck!

drewjohn

Dec 18, 2009
Visit site
ok i had to jack with my phone alot. putting it in and out of download mode and pulling the usb in and out, but i finally got it to reconize my phone after a few hours. what a pain!!!

drewjohn

Dec 18, 2009
Visit site
tired to do it all again today at work and same thing happened. luckily my work computer recognizes my phone better than both my home computers.
WTH is up with restoring my backups from clockwork. why do i keep getting stuck with the blue screen of death? I cleared the memory and everything.

babelfish#AC

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
I'm having the same issue here. Three finger boot gives me a *manual mode* with blue text and a choice to update from the SD that doesn't work because there isn't an update file on the SD. There should be a simple way to clear this, no?

babelfish#AC

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
Yes, that's exactly what it is. I went back to stock and lost Clockwork so it's a normal way for it to act. Rooting it with oneclick put it back. New at this and still finding my way around. Thanks.

shaundizzle

Oct 19, 2010
Visit site
when i first rooted my phone on 2.1, i got stuck on the stock recovery every time i booted to recover.y.
i actually had to hit apply update.zip from sd card to get into clockwork mod recovery.

anyways, i think the op forgot that you cant just flash back and forth between 2.1 and 2.2 roms. his post to me sounds like he was on 2.2 went to 2.1 and 2.2 again; which i dont think is possible because you need the kernel for 2.2 and stuff

i could be wrong cuz my android hacking is getting kinda rusty

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
when i first rooted my phone on 2.1, i got stuck on the stock recovery every time i booted to recover.y.
i actually had to hit apply update.zip from sd card to get into clockwork mod recovery.

anyways, i think the op forgot that you cant just flash back and forth between 2.1 and 2.2 roms. his post to me sounds like he was on 2.2 went to 2.1 and 2.2 again; which i dont think is possible because you need the kernel for 2.2 and stuff

i could be wrong cuz my android hacking is getting kinda rusty

Your correct you can't simply flash back and forth between 2.1 (Eclair) and 2.2 (Froyo) ROMs. You have to use Odin to return to Eclair from Froyo, then you have to use either Odin or an update.zip file to go from Eclair to Froyo. There is no simple "flashing" between OS's versions. Flashing can only be done on when staying on the same OS (Eclair or Froyo).

junjun2

Apr 5, 2011
Visit site

HELP

well just flash back with odin without the sd card it works fine i had the same probelem ^^

afourg

Jun 18, 2011
Visit site
I'm still stuck in that mode. Did you fix this problem and if so how so I can get back to a restore point I had on CM10. I can't stand AOKP Milestone 5. Can't even find my INTERNAL SD section.
I'm having the same issue here. Three finger boot gives me a *manual mode* with blue text and a choice to update from the SD that doesn't work because there isn't an update file on the SD. There should be a simple way to clear this, no?