Samsung Epic 4G Lag Fix: RFS to EXT4 for Froyo DK28

ksmullins88

Dec 4, 2010
Visit site
so i just tried this today. it went fine, or so i thought. now it seems that i cant boot into the new version of clockwork, no matter what i try. And if i dont boot the phone up through the old clock work, it gets stuck on the samsung screen. I dont know what i did wrong but its aggravating the crap out of me....

JMusic

Nov 19, 2009
Visit site
Important notes
ClockworkMod Recovery v2.5.1.2 must be used for anything you flash from now on, as long as you have the EXT4 filesystem in place. Unfortunately when you boot into Clockwork manually or using ROM Manager, you are taken to Clockwork v2.5.1.0 instead of Clockwork v2.5.1.2.

There are a few ways to get to Clockwork v2.5.1.2:
? Use a program like Quickboot or Reboot Manager
? Boot into Clockwork v2.5.1.0, go to Advanced>Reboot recovery
? Use the command from Step 4c while your phone is connected to Windows and in debugging mode

Can someone explain this to me? Clockwork is something that is installed. How do two versions get installed? Why can't the v2.5.1.0 be removed/replaced? I just don't grasp why it isn't replaced by default.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
I'm not sure myself but it really isn't too big of a deal at this point. As Ragnarokx posted getting to the 2.5.1.2 has a few different routes that can be done easily.

If you been following any of this now they have ClockWorkMod 3.0.0.5 out on the newest Quantum ROM and that is REALLY causing some headaches over at XDA from what I've been reading..

People booting into 2.5.1.2, then booting into 3.0.0.2 then into 3.0.0.5 ! Talk about crazy... I'll sit back and let things get ironed out before I update again with the new ClockWork

ragnarokx

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
alright, ill try it again when i get home and have more time. i could use quantum 2.7 yea?

Quantum v2.7 should work fine.

Can someone explain this to me? Clockwork is something that is installed. How do two versions get installed? Why can't the v2.5.1.0 be removed/replaced? I just don't grasp why it isn't replaced by default.

Clockwork v2.5.1.0 is independent of the ROM you're using. Clockwork v2.5.1.2 is actually baked into the ROM - it's not permanently installed on your phone. The creator of the Clockwork redirect (noobnl) has not made the redirector compatible with v2.5.1.2, which is why we have to use this strange work around.

werkx

Oct 15, 2010
Visit site
thanks for the guide. i've hold off rooting and flashing to give samsung and sprint a chance to improve the device with stock updates. but the fiasco with froyo is really ticking me off. i've bookmarked the guide and will be downloading files soon. thanks again.

Quis89

Q&A Team
Oct 15, 2009
Visit site
After doing this will I notice a speed difference immediately or will I first need to install a custom ROM with EXT4 support?

Atomic Playboy

Aug 31, 2010
Visit site
If this question has already been answered, I apologize, but I couldn't tell just by an initial reading of the posts thus far.

Is there a kernel that will work with the vanilla Samsung software to support ext4 in DK28? Do I HAVE to use a custom ROM?

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
After doing this will I notice a speed difference immediately or will I first need to install a custom ROM with EXT4 support?

You will need to install a custom ROM supporting EXT4. Once installed you will notice a great difference.

schnergun

Nov 4, 2009
Visit site
when you are in the comman prompt what are you typing to find the file? my file is named ext4 and i put it in on the root c drive. yet i cant find it in the command prompt.here is how my command prompt shows:

C:\Users\josh>

i am not sure what 2 type in after that. and then when the new prompt comes up what should i type in. i really appreciate your help!

schnergun

TheCrazy88

Nov 17, 2010
Visit site
Ok I have a noob question. Can i backup my payed apps and calender and contacts? Mainly the payed apps. Thanks in advance!

ragnarokx

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
when you are in the comman prompt what are you typing to find the file? my file is named ext4 and i put it in on the root c drive. yet i cant find it in the command prompt.here is how my command prompt shows:

C:\Users\josh>

i am not sure what 2 type in after that. and then when the new prompt comes up what should i type in. i really appreciate your help!

schnergun

If the file is in your root directory, you need to point the command prompt to that directory:

Code:
cd c:\

After you type that and hit enter, the command prompt should now look like this:

Code:
C:\>

From here you can access that file.

Ok I have a noob question. Can i backup my payed apps and calender and contacts? Mainly the payed apps. Thanks in advance!

"MyBackup Root" on the Market - it's free and will back up all of that, and more :cool:

Reactions: TheCrazy88

estigall

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
Help Solved...

I am brand new to the rooting thing, so I had to use the old proceduer I got to step 1d and I got the error, so I went bak to my file and removed the .md5 and retried the start button. Then my phone went blank. I never got the green box that stated a complete flash, so I unpluged my device and now I have a screen with a phone icon, a yield with an ! in the middle, and an icon of a computor. Help what do I do!!!!!!!!!!

Removed the battery, and held the power and 1 button, took me back to Download screen....

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
I am brand new to the rooting thing, so I had to use the old proceduer I got to step 1d and I got the error, so I went bak to my file and removed the .md5 and retried the start button. Then my phone went blank. I never got the green box that stated a complete flash, so I unpluged my device and now I have a screen with a phone icon, a yield with an ! in the middle, and an icon of a computor. Help what do I do!!!!!!!!!!

1.) Pull your battery on your phone and put it back in.
2.) Reboot your computer and restart Odin again
3.) Hold down "1" on your physical keyboard and power button to reboot into download mode again (android guy shoveling)
4.) Retry your steps again with Odin

Usually from what I've found if you mess something up with Odin you can't simply go and restart Odin again. You have to reboot your computer and open up Odin again and follow your old procedure steps again.

Reactions: ragnarokx

ksmullins88

Dec 4, 2010
Visit site
Alright, after screwing it up the first time, I managed to make it work the second time. I now have the EXT 4 and Quantum 2.7 with clockwork 3.0.0.2 and my phone is faster than ever... however, now my Gmail app keeps force closing everytime I open it. Anyone have a fix for that or a suggestion? I don't really need it right now but it would be usefull to have..

klemens

Jul 28, 2010
Visit site
I follow all the steps up to flashing the prepare.zip. There were no prepapre.zip in the selection, so I have to choose "install zip from sdcard", then "choose zip from sdcard", then pick prepare.zip, and confirm Yes. I got the messeage Finding update package...., the same if I choose QuantumRom or DK28-EXT4Kernel. Please help.

ragnarokx

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
Alright, after screwing it up the first time, I managed to make it work the second time. I now have the EXT 4 and Quantum 2.7 with clockwork 3.0.0.2 and my phone is faster than ever... however, now my Gmail app keeps force closing everytime I open it. Anyone have a fix for that or a suggestion? I don't really need it right now but it would be usefull to have..

Try this:
Settings>Applications>Manage applications>All (at the top)>Gmail>Clear data & Clear cache

I follow all the steps up to flashing the prepare.zip. There were no prepapre.zip in the selection, so I have to choose "install zip from sdcard", then "choose zip from sdcard", then pick prepare.zip, and confirm Yes. I got the messeage Finding update package...., the same if I choose QuantumRom or DK28-EXT4Kernel. Please help.

While you're in Clockwork, look at the top of the screen and make sure it says version 2.5.1.2. Using the old Clockwork can cause problems.

Is there a reason you chose the Old Procedure over the new one? The New procedure does not require flashing prepare.zip and might work better for you.

Reactions: ksmullins88

Donmeister85

Dec 5, 2010
Visit site
Well I've got to say, I'm glad I read this thread yesterday. This ext4 file system makes this device run so smooth and fast. Just awesome!