Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 69 1234 ... LastLast
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default [ROM] TrulyEpic Rebirth v1.5 AC - no planned EB13 update :'(

TrulyEpic Rebirth - AC Edition

Installation Instructions
    Totally new to ROMs? Read post #303.

1. It is required that you have a Froyo DK28 system with an EXT4 filesystem and ClockworkMod Recovery v3.0.0.X before flashing this ROM. If you do not meet these prerequisites or do not know what these terms mean, read this thread before continuing. It will explain these terms as well as set up your phone with Froyo, EXT4 and CWM3 so you can flash this ROM.

2. Make a Nandroid Backup in ClockworkMod Recovery. DO NOT wipe your phone prior to flashing as this ROM will automatically backup and restore your data.

3. If you have Wireless Tether on your system, uninstall it. If you have the Galaxy Tab email on your system, use the SDX Stock App Removal app to delete it. If you do not do both these things you will get force closes when your data is automatically restored. You can also uninstall AdFree as ad blocking is now baked in (optional).

4. Download TrulyEpic Rebirth v1.5 and place it on your SD card.

5. Boot into Clockwork, navigate to the ROM zip and select it to flash. Your data will automatically be backed up, the ROM will flash, and then your data will be restored.

If you get any force closes upon boot due to conflicts from the backup restore, try going to Settings>Applications>Manage applications>All (at the top)>(app)>Clear data and Clear cache. If this doesn't work, you may need to uninstall and reinstall the problem app(s).

When using WiFi Tether, the Sprint Hotspot will automatically start when tethering is activated. Don't touch the Sprint Hotspot or you will have problems. If you are having problems with the included version of WiFi Tether, update to the latest version (pre3 as of this writing).

To restore the power-button-end-call mod, go to Settings>Accessibility and check the bottom box.

Lastly, if you're looking for huge benchmark numbers this is not the ROM for you. I've tuned this for real world performance, not Quadrant scores (the two are not related =P).

New
    TrulyEpic Rebirth v1.5 Clean Install - this version is for people who are having problems with the auto backup/restore or those who prefer starting with a clean slate. Wipe: factory reset, cache, dalvik cache three times each if using this version.

Post-Flash Troubleshooting
    Screen rotation problems
    GPS no longer works
    Phone crashes when trying to install apps (also see Installation Instructions above - ROM requires EXT4)
    No service and/or Airplane mode acting erratically
    Galaxy Tab email settings that have worked for others
    Widget/icon disappears when app is moved to SD card
    Sprint Nascar/Football apps not working
    Problems sending/receiving MMS
    Galaxy Tab email Exchange connection error
    Where is the landscape dialer pad?
    WiFi Tether force close/crash
    Force close with google services framework
    Text message with every voicemail - flash Restore Bubble MMS under Add-On Downloads
    Force closes after making a backup in Clockwork
    Accessibility option missing for power button end call
    AppWidget Picker force close
    Last edited by ragnarokx; 02-20-2011 at 12:12 PM.
    Thanked by 85:
    + Show/Hide list of the thanked
  2. Thread Author  Thread Author    #2  

Default [ROM] TrulyEpic Rebirth v1.5 AC Edition

ROM Downloads (use Clockwork v3.0.0.X to flash, and always backup before flashing!)
    TrulyEpic Rebirth v1.5 auto data restore | Mirror
    TrulyEpic Rebirth v1.5 clean install - wipe factory reset, cache and dalvik cache three times each if using this version
    TrulyEpic Rebirth v1.2 | Mirror
    TrulyEpic Rebirth v1.1
    TrulyEpic Rebirth Beta

Stock Apps Restore (DO NOT flash in Clockwork, unzip on computer desktop and place on SD card)
    Sprint & Samsung/TouchWiz apps - How do I install this?
    --->Above includes the following: BuddiesNow, MediaHub, Memo, MyFiles, TW Calendar widget, TW Feed and Update widget, TW Program Monitor widget, TW Clock widget, TW Weather/Clock widget, TW Launcher, Sprint NASCAR, Sprint NFL, Sprint Navigation, Sprint TV, Sprint TV widget

If you don't already have a file explorer that can work with root level files and folders to install the above, on your SD card in the "app" folder is EStrongs. Here is how to set it up.

Add-On Downloads (use Clockwork v3.0.0.X to flash, and always backup before flashing!)
    Themes
    Mini Theme v1.0 ⁰ - black notification background transparent + white circle battery
    Mini Theme v1.0 Lite ⁰ - black notification background transparent sans battery mod
    Mini Theme v1.5 ⁵ - adds battery meter w/percent ⁷, TrulyEpic Rebirth branding and a new wallpaper
    Mini Theme v1.7 ⁵ - new wallpapers included, new app icons, black GMail and black dialer pad
    Mini Theme v1.8 ⁵ - more custom icons, updated mms.apk & vending.apk, Gingerbread desk clock (full change log)
    Black Dialer ⁵ - stand-alone themed dialer

Restore Stock Elements
    TouchWiz Lock Screen - remove AOSP lock screen
    Stock DK28 Browser - fixes FC when saving images via long press
    Revert to Smiley Key - changes @ key back to the smiley key on the physical keyboard
    Froyo Email App - if you don't like/have problems with the Galaxy Tab version
    Restore Bubble SMS - also stops SMS notification if you use Sprint voicemail
    Stock Font - to revert font changes made post-flash
    Plain Gmail - to revert from the black themed Gmail
    Plain dialer pad

Customizations
    Custom Font ⁵ - from the Bonzai4All ROM
    Hulu Flash + App - this will break if you update your Flash player after installing this mod, including automatic updates from the Market
    TER v1.2 shutdown animation - compatible with v1.5
    TER v1.5 shutdown animation - to revert after flashing above
    TER v1.5 Wallpapers - see scodoublet's thread for more great work like this!
    Microbes Live Wallpaper - from the Nexus S
    Galaxy Tab Email
    Alternative Gingerbread keyboard - adds smiley key and changes to blue
    Browser from TER v1.2

To fix force closes after restoring stock apps: Settings>Applications>Manage applications>All (at the top)>(app)>Clear data and Clear cache

Mini Theme v1.0 by Ahmgsk with AMLauncher and included wallpaper

Mini Theme v1.5 by Paul627g with new battery meter, branding and wallpaper

Mini Theme v1.7 by Paul627g with new TER wallpaper, new app icons ⁸, black GMail and black dailer
    Also pictured: Reboot Manager (paid app, not included)

Mini Theme v1.8 by Paul627g with more custom icons,
    updated mms.apk & vending.apk, Gingerbread desk clock

Features
    Based On DK28
    Totally Basic
    AMLauncher Comes to users for 1st time ->
    Latest Apps Included: Flash, Maps, Youtube, Market, Included In System Apps
    Included wallpapers in AMLauncher => Images taken from google Please dont sue me :P
    I9000 shutdown animation
    Android Setup Wizard (Sign up and you get apps & settings restored automatically!)

Change Log
    Rebirth Beta
    Supports EXT4
    Edify script/ClockworkMod3 compatible
    BIOS boot animation
    Disabled startup, shutdown and charger connection sounds
    Restored Swype
    MMS fixed
    No bubble MMS w/5MB limit & 2560x1920 pic resolution ⁴
    Zipaligned ⁵
    Gallery3D mod (use less battery) ⁵
    Removed Fancy Widget, Facebook, Twitter, EStrongs
    Call Log mod (removes SMS) ⁵
    Gingerbread YouTube
    AOSP Lockscreen ⁷
    Updated Market and Gmail to latest versions

v1.1
    Spare Parts (set window animation and transition animation to fast) ⁵
    AdFree (blocks ads, updatable, can disable if it conflicts with apps)
    WiFi Status (notifies when WiFi is on but not in use, saves battery)
    Missing Market Apps Fix ⁶
    Killed Battery Pop-Up ⁷
    Galaxy Tab Email App ⁸
    Reboot to ClockworkMod3 fixed for Quickboot, ROM Manager, etc.
    Replaced TW calculator with a useful one (HandyCalc)
    Enabled desktop/mobile toggle in Android browser settings ⁹

v1.2
    New EXT4 only kernel
    Recompiled libdvm.co for responsiveness, faster CPU code processing
    Longer WiFi scan interval - potential battery saver
    New default ringtone
    Power button ends call while on the phone
    Changed smiley key on physical keyboard to "@" key
    Undervolt script to save battery ⁴
    Updated Market

v1.5
    Journaling mod for increased performance
    Full Sprint Hotspot functionality with WiFi Tether (included)
    Removed WiFi scan interval mod (not needed with WiFi Status)
    Restored Sprint Voicemail
    Reverted to stock email app
    Reduced slowdown with boot animation
    Updated undervolt script ⁴
    Replaced Samsung kb with far superior Gingerbread kb
    Added/fixed startup scripts ⁵
    New TrulyEpic Rebirth wallpapers
    Fixed Gallery FC, improved performance ⁵
    Reverted power button mod, now sleeps screen instead of ending call
    Extras added to SD card
    --->"/sdcard/app" (bonus apps)
    --->"/sdcard/wallpaper" (CyanogenMod wallpapers)
    Updated GMail, Maps, Market
    Changed "Internet" to "Browser" (like it should be) ⁵
    New shutdown animation taken from Nexus S ⁴
    Auto backup and restore during ROM flash ⁵
    Removed AdFree, ad blocking now baked in by request
    ThinkFree Office now easily uninstallable

Credits/Sources (please let me know if there are any wrong/missing names)
    Ahmgsk
    Paul627g ⁵ - testing, theming, primary user support
    liquidjesus ⁸ - testing, user support
    Dameon87
    walord
    vinaldo93
    keysoh2 ⁴
    Mammon88 ⁵
    Decad3nce ⁶
    raiderep ⁷
    smoothone ⁸
    ptfdmedic ⁹
    xjman
    madgadjt
    smeyerhuky
    BThomas22x ⁴
    a454nova ⁷
    Randy_T
    the3dman
    scodoublet
    ecooce ⁴
    Last edited by ragnarokx; 02-18-2011 at 02:00 PM.

Go Ragnarokx!
    Thanked by 3:
    AmittaiiooLS2982 

Sweet. I installed midNIGHT and converted to EXT4, but I liked a lot of things about TrulyEpic better. I'll give this a spin right now...

Awesome. I've tried 5 or 6 ROMS now since EXT4, this is my favorite so far. Thanks!
    Thanked by:

Truly Epic lives again! For a simplified ROM it has the basics that the average user needs. Runs great doesn't it?
    Thanked by:
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

I appreciate the feedback guys! I'm glad you're liking it as much as I am
    Thanked by:

I can't install the Mini Theme above (Amend scripting error). Strange, because the filename says EXT4 compatible. Ideas?
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

Are you using the Clockwork with green text or orange text? You need the orange text Clockwork to install the theme.

Hmmm, can't get a couple of things I used to have:
    Pure Calendar Widget (by koxx3)
    Lexi-Comp (its a drug information software--I'm a pharmacist)

Not sure about any others. Both worked fine with other EXT4 roms I ran (Bonzai, Midnight, Quantum, Viper)
    Thanked by:
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

Are you trying to flash them via Clockwork, install directly using the apks, or install them from the Market?

Other ROMS, they restored from market automatically. When I noticed they weren't there, I went looking for them in the market, not there. Thanks.
  13. Thread Author  Thread Author    #13  

I think I know what the problem is - I'm looking into it now.

I just rooted and flashed my first ROM a couple of days ago. I think this is the one I will settle on for a while. Nice clean ROM with freakin' awesome performance.

See stock benchmark vs. TrulyEpic:

Well done Ahmgsk (and ragnarokx for the EXT4 mods). Rock on.
    Last edited by StevieDee123; 01-06-2011 at 09:19 PM. Reason: Fix images

Quote Originally Posted by ragnarokx View Post
    Are you using the Clockwork with green text or orange text? You need the orange text Clockwork to install the theme.
    It is the orange text (v3.0.0.5). However, I figured it out. It was not the right theme file. It was one from the midNIGHT ROM set. Sorry to waste your time.
  16. Thread Author  Thread Author    #16  

Quote Originally Posted by yoda288 View Post
    Other ROMS, they restored from market automatically. When I noticed they weren't there, I went looking for them in the market, not there. Thanks.
    Flash this using Clockwork and let me know if it works: TER_Market_Apps_Fix

Quote Originally Posted by StevieDee123 View Post
    It is the orange text (v3.0.0.5). However, I figured it out. It was not the right theme file. It was one from the midNIGHT ROM set. Sorry to waste your time.
    Honest mistake, not a problem.
    Thanked by:

In the words of Hans Landa, "That's a bingo!" (it worked)
    Thanks for the quick fix, I was really hoping not to have to switch ROMS just for work tomorrow.

Wow--hadn't realized how much I was missing.

Well well well...Haven't we turned into quite a little chef haven't we? I knew you had some skills in this department but I think you were holding back on us Ragnarokx.. LOL!
  19. Thread Author  Thread Author    #19  

Thanks, I'm trying

As Sir Isaac Newton said, "it is only by standing on the shoulders of giants."

Anybody else having battery issues? Mine heated up to scorching level, even hot enough that phone shut down. I wasn't on it any more than usual. I swapped back out to Bonzai and haven't had the problem again.

No battery issues here... Running it for well over 12 hours now.
  22. Thread Author  Thread Author    #22  

Quote Originally Posted by yoda288 View Post
    Anybody else having battery issues? Mine heated up to scorching level, even hot enough that phone shut down. I wasn't on it any more than usual. I swapped back out to Bonzai and haven't had the problem again.
    Was there anything in particular you were doing/apps you were running when this happened?

It was plugged in, had been running programs off an on, nothing consistent. Was mostly getting things re-established. Might have been playing some angry birds on occasion. But, like I said, it was NOT persistent, continuous use.
    Last edited by yoda288; 01-07-2011 at 02:48 PM. Reason: added the NOT at the end--not consistent use
  24. Thread Author  Thread Author    #24  

When I'm setting up my phone after a ROM flash it always gets pretty warm, regardless of the ROM. This has never happened to you before?

I've had it get a bit warm, but this actually shut down the phone. A heat warning popped up, phone shut down. Had to let it sit for a bit before I could even get it back on.
Page 1 of 69 1234 ... LastLast