[How to] Factory Restore (or Fix a Bricked Phone)

W0lfy B

Mar 18, 2011
Visit site
Is it ironic that when I tried the second procedure it bricked my phone? Isn't this supposed to fix that?

I know it is probably my fault but still kinda funny lol.

Anyway I need some help. I did it word for word by the instructions but it stopped in the middle and then after a few seconds the phone went to a blue screen and now it wont boot, it just freezes at the Samsung screen. PLEASE help me. I'd rather not get a new phone as money is tight these days.

Thanks in advance.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Is it ironic that when I tried the second procedure it bricked my phone? Isn't this supposed to fix that?

I know it is probably my fault but still kinda funny lol.

Anyway I need some help. I did it word for word by the instructions but it stopped in the middle and then after a few seconds the phone went to a blue screen and now it wont boot, it just freezes at the Samsung screen. PLEASE help me. I'd rather not get a new phone as money is tight these days.

Thanks in advance.

Pull your battery out and leave it out, then connect your device via cable to your computer and then boot into Download mode and run the Odin package. Also make sure all anti virus is turned off.

W0lfy B

Mar 18, 2011
Visit site
Pull your battery out and leave it out, then connect your device via cable to your computer and then boot into Download mode and run the Odin package. Also make sure all anti virus is turned off.

I already tried all of that except the anti virus thing so I'll give that a try. Do anti virus interfere with odin?

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Sometimes... Are you able to get into download mode? If so does Odin recognize your phone? Remember too cables can make or break the whole process too...

Sent from my Epic 4g....

W0lfy B

Mar 18, 2011
Visit site
Sometimes... Are you able to get into download mode? If so does Odin recognize your phone? Remember too cables can make or break the whole process too...

Sent from my Epic 4g....

Yeah, I can get into download mode and it recognizes it if by "recognizes" you mean that the "Com4" thing shows up. Also I was having trouble with the stock cable whenever I used odin it would say "Added" then "Removed" repeatedly so I ordered a new one and when I got the blue screen originally it started doing that again occasionally. I'm pretty sure my cable is good though, its a blackberry one with data and charging.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Which version are you currently running? I take it your attempting to go back to Eclair 2.1 ? If you are doing the Eclair restore you have your pit file in place and your tar file in PDA slot. Then u have just auto reboot checked?
Otherwise try redownloading the tar file package, possible something was corrupted in the download.

Bottom line if your in Odin then there is hope.
Sent from my Epic 4g....

W0lfy B

Mar 18, 2011
Visit site
Which version are you currently running? I take it your attempting to go back to Eclair 2.1 ? If you are doing the Eclair restore you have your pit file in place and your tar file in PDA slot. Then u have just auto reboot checked?
Otherwise try redownloading the tar file package, possible something was corrupted in the download.

Bottom line if your in Odin then there is hope.
Sent from my Epic 4g....

I was on EC05 but was attempting to go back to 2.1 because ever since the update my phone was incredibly slow and had frequent force closes whereas before neither existed. Yes, I put them in the right slots and only have auto reboot checked. The only thing I can think of is that in the procedure it says to check "Debug En" or something like that, but it isn't in the current version of Odin. I wouldn't see this to be a problem though because I browsed this thread and saw that it wasn't a problem for others.

TexasEpic4G

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
Epic 4 = Stuck in Recovery

I messed something up while trying to install a new ROM = got stuck in Samsung screen = then I tried to do recovery with CWM but get stuck in neverending cycle of rebooting into CWM and can't get out = PLEASE Help !

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
I was on EC05 but was attempting to go back to 2.1 because ever since the update my phone was incredibly slow and had frequent force closes whereas before neither existed. Yes, I put them in the right slots and only have auto reboot checked. The only thing I can think of is that in the procedure it says to check "Debug En" or something like that, but it isn't in the current version of Odin. I wouldn't see this to be a problem though because I browsed this thread and saw that it wasn't a problem for others.

Ya the DeBug En is not required.. I've ran it on the old version of Odin both ways...

Another trick that used to work is removing your sdcard too...

Officerpolabear

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
For some reason, my link doesn't work even though I just copy and paste so I will just tell you to search: How to factory restore (or fix a bricked phone)

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
I messed something up while trying to install a new ROM = got stuck in Samsung screen = then I tried to do recovery with CWM but get stuck in neverending cycle of rebooting into CWM and can't get out = PLEASE Help !

Pull your battery out first. This will get you out of the loop.. Then replace the battery and follow below.

Then goto this link below and follow the steps. Procedure #1 will give you stock Froyo EB13, Procedure #2 will give your stock Eclair 2.1 (DI18).

[How to] Factory Restore (or Fix a Bricked Phone)

W0lfy B

Mar 18, 2011
Visit site
Ya the DeBug En is not required.. I've ran it on the old version of Odin both ways...

Another trick that used to work is removing your sdcard too...

THANK YOU SOOOO MUCH! I finally got it to work with the battery out, anti-virus off, and sd card out. Everything seems to be in working order but if I have any more issues I will probably post on here again. Thanks again!

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
THANK YOU SOOOO MUCH! I finally got it to work with the battery out, anti-virus off, and sd card out. Everything seems to be in working order but if I have any more issues I will probably post on here again. Thanks again!

Congrats! Success.... Makes me happy :D:D:D:D:D

Was getting a bit worried there we were about out of options... Must have been the sdcard that finally did it...

W0lfy B

Mar 18, 2011
Visit site
Congrats! Success.... Makes me happy :D:D:D:D:D

Was getting a bit worried there we were about out of options... Must have been the sdcard that finally did it...

Thats what I thought too :D So I should be good to go if I want to do the Pre-rooted EC05 now right? Also in that procedure do I rename the "EC05x_DXC.tar.md5" to "EC05x_DXC.tar" like in this procedure?

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Thats what I thought too :D So I should be good to go if I want to do the Pre-rooted EC05 now right? Also in that procedure do I rename the "EC05x_DXC.tar.md5" to "EC05x_DXC.tar" like in this procedure?

You can leave the "md5" in place, its a checksum which is good to leave in place. Odin will verify with that in place that it is a good file when it starts the procedure.

W0lfy B

Mar 18, 2011
Visit site
You can leave the "md5" in place, its a checksum which is good to leave in place. Odin will verify with that in place that it is a good file when it starts the procedure.

Thanks! Wasn't sure on that one. I'm so excited now that I'll be able to do custom ROM's :D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Edo

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
Followed the instructions but I'm still geting:

<ID:0/005> Initialzation..
<ID:0/005> Get PIT for mapping..
<ID:0/005> Firmware update start..
<ID:0/005> param.lfs
<ID:0/005> Sbl.bin
<ID:0/005> boot.bin
<ID:0/005> recovery.bin
<ID:0/005>
<ID:0/005> Complete(Write) operation failed.
<OSM> All threads completed. (succeed 0 / failed 1)

after a long day of trying to figure it out I found a similar thread:

Put the device back into Download mode. In Odin, check "Re-Partition" and flash a .PIT only (I used the Victory pit). This should reboot the device.

Stop the reboot (battery pull at the Samsung screen). In Odin, put the DK28 modem.bin in the "PDA" section and flash. The device should flash, reboot and be recovered.

Last edited:

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Followed the instructions but I'm still geting:

<ID:0/005> Initialzation..
<ID:0/005> Get PIT for mapping..
<ID:0/005> Firmware update start..
<ID:0/005> param.lfs
<ID:0/005> Sbl.bin
<ID:0/005> boot.bin
<ID:0/005> recovery.bin
<ID:0/005>
<ID:0/005> Complete(Write) operation failed.
<OSM> All threads completed. (succeed 0 / failed 1)

after a long day of trying to figure it out I found a similar thread:

Put the device back into Download mode. In Odin, check "Re-Partition" and flash a .PIT only (I used the Victory pit). This should reboot the device.

Stop the reboot (battery pull at the Samsung screen). In Odin, put the DK28 modem.bin in the "PDA" section and flash. The device should flash, reboot and be recovered.

So did you get this resolved or are you still seeking help?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Xd3dp1gX