[How to] Factory Restore (or Fix a Bricked Phone)

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Now on 3 different pcs, with 2 different cables, XP and Win 7, Windows will not recognize my phone after installing Samsung driver from PG 1 of this thread.

Try uninstalling that driver and try this one if you haven't already.

Troubleshooting
If you're having problems getting Odin to recognize your phone, try uninstalling the Samsung drivers you downloaded from the link above, and download and install this driver (select "Software" at the bottom; it should say "Device(Install),USB Driver (Software) (ver.1.0)") instead.

bmgiannotti

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
I think I may have bricked my phone

I was trying to revert my epic to 2.1 from the leaked 2.2 in order to update to eb13. I was using odin to do so. I followed all of the steps and after a few minutes of not doing anything I unplugged my phone and when i tried to boot it it displayed a cellphone a warning symbol and a computer.
Now i've tried almost all of the odin methods and I was wondering if anyone had any additional tips.

ICMTM

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
I gave up! I don't have a spare smart phone lying around to use while I search for answers elsewhere so I just took it to Sprint.

Turns out they couldn't flash it either after trying for 90 minutes. They charged me $35 for a replacement since I don't pay for insurance. Coming from the Pre, where I did a lot of modding to my phone, I think the tools used to access your phone are just better. I tried both Heindall and Odin on Windows and Ubuntu Linix...no dice.

I did just upgrade to 2.2 manually. Version DK28 had AVRCP issues (didn't work) and other problems.

tcahan119

Sep 2, 2010
Visit site
Can't update, drivers not working.. etc

I am so frustrated right now. My phone is currently running a non rooted DK 28. I tried to follow the steps to restore a bricked phone or to send it back to eclair. My computer will not install the drivers correctly so I can't beyond step one. Is there a way to upgrade directly from DK28 to EB13 without rooting my phone? Any help anyone could give me would be greatly appreciated. Both my epic and my laptop are about two seconds from flying through the window.

cabrone

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
I am so frustrated right now. My phone is currently running a non rooted DK 28. I tried to follow the steps to restore a bricked phone or to send it back to eclair. My computer will not install the drivers correctly so I can't beyond step one. Is there a way to upgrade directly from DK28 to EB13 without rooting my phone? Any help anyone could give me would be greatly appreciated. Both my epic and my laptop are about two seconds from flying through the window.

One thing i recall from just doing this myself is that IF it does not work on one computer, try another. And confirm you have the correct drivers for each (32 v. 64). Sorry this isn't more helpful.

are you using Odin?

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site

Try using these drivers instead..

Troubleshooting
If you're having problems getting Odin to recognize your phone, try uninstalling the Samsung drivers you downloaded from the link above, and download and install this driver (select "Software" at the bottom; it should say "Device(Install),USB Driver (Software) (ver.1.0)") instead

Any further questions post them in the [How to] Factory Restore (or Fix a Bricked Phone)
section and we can help you there.. :)

jpeterson

Oct 18, 2010
Visit site
I know this is dumb but I'm just new to Android. IF I root and remove bloatware from my phone (Sprint Nascar for example) will this factory restore put all the apps back on so I can upgrade or still get waranty work?

I guess I'm asking if I tweak my phone and then do this restore is my phone back to the way Sprint wants me to have it?

bmgiannotti

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
Help

I'm running the leaked froyo on my epic and am using the truly epic rebirth rom. I've tried twice using the odin method and it didn't work and seemingly bricked my phone, showing the cell phone and computer symbol. All I want is to update my phone to eb13. If you have any tips or preferably another method that would be greatly appreciated.

bmbaker2k5

Dec 28, 2010
Visit site
<ID:0/004> Added!!
<OSM> Enter CS for MD5..
<OSM> Check MD5.. Do not unplug the cable..
<OSM> Please wait..
<OSM> SPH-D700-EB13-8Gb-REL.tar.md5 is valid.
<OSM> Checking MD5 finished Sucessfully..
<OSM> Leave CS..
<ID:0/004> Odin v.3 engine (ID:4)..
<ID:0/004> File analysis..
<ID:0/004> SetupConnection..

and it freezes... has happened a few times.... ugh getting frustrated.... need this phone for work too..... ASAP if at all possible.

Cancel that. i'm going back to DK28 then going to EB13 seeing if that will work DK28 worked and am about to try going to EB13

Last edited:

citiz

Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
Could I use the Odin method to flash my phone to factory still. I did the Samsung update to eb13 from their site and there's waaaaay to many bugs.

citiz

Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
one last noob question (SMH). If I decided to add a custom rom to my phone could I flash back to factory when there was a better eb13 update from Samsung or would I be stuck with the rom?

I'm thinking about adding a custom rom and I'm making sure there is a way to reverse it if I want to.

ShaLea

Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
OK. I think I'm ready to move from DK28 to EB13. Is it ok to do procedure #1 in the OP post even though I'm on DK28 (which seems like a 1-step process to EB13), or do I have to do procedure #2 (which seems like a multi-step process)? I understand that procedure #1 will wipe the phone.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
OK. I think I'm ready to move from DK28 to EB13. Is it ok to do procedure #1 in the OP post even though I'm on DK28 (which seems like a 1-step process to EB13), or do I have to do procedure #2 (which seems like a multi-step process)? I understand that procedure #1 will wipe the phone.
Yes procedure #1 will get you from where ever you are currently to EB13 stock. Then you can do as you please from there.

Any process used with Odin will wipe your phone.

JLGP2007

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Bricked? Wtf? Help?

So I'm trying to flash back to stock for this new update and I've done it over 10 times before. Now when I use Odin everything starts off fine, but when it gets to factoryfpsrfs whatever it is...the whole process freezes up and the screen on the phone changes to a color. I tried to restart a couple times..phone went blue one time..went yellow another time. What's going on?

Even switched between v1 and v1.61 odin and still getting the same result. Screen just turned pruple. Really irritating.

Last edited:

Donmeister85

Dec 5, 2010
Visit site
Your best bet is to use the Samsung installer. I don't know if it's still available for download, but I had problems trying to flash my phone to stock using Odin too. I just downloaded the installer from Samsung's website and followed the instructions. Got me to stock EB13 with no problem. If it's not available for download, I can link you to my dropbox folder where you can download it from there. You'll have to wait until I'm off work though.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
123dzo