[How to] Factory Restore (or Fix a Bricked Phone)

shouse59

Mar 24, 2011
Visit site
Thank you very much for the excellent instructions! Very well written and worked just as described! Found this thread after browsing the "Sprint Samsung Epic 4g Official Froyo EC05 [update.zip method available!]" thread.

I soon realized that after my EB13 OTA update a month ago, I rooted my phone and as such would not be able to receive the OTA EC05 update. Decided to use Odin to go back to DI18 and then use the EC05 update. So far it appears that all the bugs I had with EB13 are gone. Fingers crossed!

ShaLea

Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
Can anyone provide the tar or md5 file for DI18. when I went to EB13, I used the steps to go from Froyo to EB13 & don't have the DI18 file.

In the OP post, I saw the processes to restore to DK28, but not DI18.

Thanks.
----------------
wait.... I found it: (SPH-D700-DI18-8Gb-REL.tar.md5). The post says DK28, but the actual file is labeled DI18. I'll try this.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Can anyone provide the tar or md5 file for DI18. when I went to EB13, I used the steps to go from Froyo to EB13 & don't have the DI18 file.

In the OP post, I saw the processes to restore to DK28, but not DI18.

Thanks.
----------------
wait.... I found it: (SPH-D700-DI18-8Gb-REL.tar.md5). The post says DK28, but the actual file is labeled DI18. I'll try this.

Procedure #2 will give you the required files for Eclair 2.1 (DI18).

bonanzabucks

Sep 18, 2010
Visit site
OK?I?m really at a loss at how to do this and was up until 3AM trying to figure it out and fix what I thought was a bricked phone, but no dice. I?m still on Android 2.1, rooted with Baked Snack 1.6. Last night, I tried using Odin to flash EB13 and it didn?t work. Odin had no problems reading my phone. I also got that famous ?phone-to-PC? icon and thought I had bricked my phone, but luckily, I was able to get into download mode and about to do the reboot recovery (not through Odin) by holding volume down, camera button and power. Luckily my phone was just like it was before with no data loss as I was worried that I might have to replace it.

Anyways, is there any way possible I can flash EB13 from a rooted phone without using Odin and be able to keep my root status? I don?t want to re-root once I?m in EB13 because I couldn?t do it from my computer and had to use someone else?s to get it done. I don?t have access to that computer anymore. I also tried uninstalling and reinstalling the Samsung driver, which could be the root of the problem, but that crashed my computer and I had to do a system restore. Not sure I want to try that again.

When I try flashing through Odin, it freezes in different parts of the process. I don?t even get to where the green status bar moves. Throughout the process, I?ve doing it without the battery, SD card, combination, a different USB cable, different USB ports and all it?s really done is go to different stages of the Odin process and then freeze.

Can flash EB13 through that zip file you can download? And if so, will I lose my root status? Or do I have to be on stock? That is another problem, I can?t seem to get on stock through Odin. Or is there another way of going to stock without going through Odin? If I do a factory restore through the other method I did above, can I install EB13 that way and will I lose my root status or will I have to root over again?

This is really, really frustrating. If it?s that much trouble, I?d rather stay with what I have now, I guess.

Oh, and I had downloaded Titanium Backup again and backed up all my files. Not sure if it?s related, but my battery life since I did the reboot has been abysmal. My phone doesn?t really ?sleep? anymore according to Spare Parts and the only thing that seems running in the background is the ?Android System? when I do the partial wake usage.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
OK…I’m really at a loss at how to do this and was up until 3AM trying to figure it out and fix what I thought was a bricked phone, but no dice. I’m still on Android 2.1, rooted with Baked Snack 1.6. Last night, I tried using Odin to flash EB13 and it didn’t work. Odin had no problems reading my phone. I also got that famous “phone-to-PC” icon and thought I had bricked my phone, but luckily, I was able to get into download mode and about to do the reboot recovery (not through Odin) by holding volume down, camera button and power. Luckily my phone was just like it was before with no data loss as I was worried that I might have to replace it.

Anyways, is there any way possible I can flash EB13 from a rooted phone without using Odin and be able to keep my root status? I don’t want to re-root once I’m in EB13 because I couldn’t do it from my computer and had to use someone else’s to get it done. I don’t have access to that computer anymore. I also tried uninstalling and reinstalling the Samsung driver, which could be the root of the problem, but that crashed my computer and I had to do a system restore. Not sure I want to try that again.

When I try flashing through Odin, it freezes in different parts of the process. I don’t even get to where the green status bar moves. Throughout the process, I’ve doing it without the battery, SD card, combination, a different USB cable, different USB ports and all it’s really done is go to different stages of the Odin process and then freeze.

Can flash EB13 through that zip file you can download? And if so, will I lose my root status? Or do I have to be on stock? That is another problem, I can’t seem to get on stock through Odin. Or is there another way of going to stock without going through Odin? If I do a factory restore through the other method I did above, can I install EB13 that way and will I lose my root status or will I have to root over again?

This is really, really frustrating. If it’s that much trouble, I’d rather stay with what I have now, I guess.

Oh, and I had downloaded Titanium Backup again and backed up all my files. Not sure if it’s related, but my battery life since I did the reboot has been abysmal. My phone doesn’t really “sleep” anymore according to Spare Parts and the only thing that seems running in the background is the “Android System” when I do the partial wake usage.

First, there is no way to flash from Eclair 2.1 to Froyo EB13/EC05. You must use Odin to update or use the update.zip methods which requires you to be stock and have stock recovery.

Your problems with Odin could be a variety of things. Bad USB cable, drivers, use a different port, shut off all virus/spyware software. Normally using Odin without the battery seems to be an effective way of getting even threw the hardest of obstacles.

I would recommend trying Odin to return to stock Eclair 2.1 (DI18) and then download and install the official EC05 "update.zip" file from the link below. The you will have Official EC05 Froyo. From there you can root or do whatever you would like.

Sprint Samsung Epic 4g Official Froyo EC05 [update.zip method/Custom Odin Package]

differcult

Mar 24, 2011
Visit site
ODIN PROBLEM "Gadget serial control" wont load

I am trying to roll back to stock and I keep getting this error when I run odin.
Windows can't install "Gadget serial control". I've tried three computers, all have failed (all running windows 7 64bit)

What is Gadget serial control and what do I need to do to get it to work?

jdegroot01#AC

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
Help

I ran procedure 2 to try and go back to stock Eclair DI18 Using Windows (Procedure #2)

My phone goes to reboot and just hangs on The Samsung splash screen can someone please help!

I get a pass screen and everything seemed to go fine.

Step 0. Download and install the appropriate drivers for your Windows system:
32-bit drivers
64-bit drivers

Plug your Epic into your computer via USB and let Windows recognize your phone/configure the drivers. After Windows is done with the drivers, unplug your Epic.

Step 1. Download and extract Odin, my new most favorite wonder utility.
Link | Mirror

Step 2. Download the latest stock Epic Files (Source).
Link

Step 3. Download the .pit
Link

Step 4. Disconnect your phone from the pc and open Odin

Step 5. Turn off your phone. Then hold the "1" key on your keyboard while powering the device on. This puts the phone into Download mode. (PS love the pic of the cleaning android)

W0lfy B

Mar 18, 2011
Visit site
Froyo/Odin Question

Ok so I kinda jacked my phone up a while back with what im assuming was a bad USB cable so I wanted to Odin back to stock to set everything right and have a fresh phone. But i didnt get to before Froyo came out so i was wondering if i flash back to stock like that im assuming that i would have to reinstall Froyo right? Thanks in advance for any help and yes I am a noob so please take it easy on me.

gex598

Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
I've got the pc to phone icon on boot! When trying to flash with odin some times I get stuck at initalzation sometime at get PIT for mapping have not gotten further then that. Im trying to flash DI18. I've tried with and without the PIT file. I have somehow managed to get into clockwork recovery twice is there anything I can do there to get the phone working again?

ragnarokx

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
Ok so I kinda jacked my phone up a while back with what im assuming was a bad USB cable so I wanted to Odin back to stock to set everything right and have a fresh phone. But i didnt get to before Froyo came out so i was wondering if i flash back to stock like that im assuming that i would have to reinstall Froyo right? Thanks in advance for any help and yes I am a noob so please take it easy on me.

I'm assuming you want stock/unrooted Froyo EC05 (the latest version)
1) Following "Restore to Eclair DI18 Using Windows" in the 1st post of this thread.
2) Follow the 1st post of this thread to upgrade to Froyo EC05

I've got the pc to phone icon on boot! When trying to flash with odin some times I get stuck at initalzation sometime at get PIT for mapping have not gotten further then that. Im trying to flash DI18. I've tried with and without the PIT file. I have somehow managed to get into clockwork recovery twice is there anything I can do there to get the phone working again?

You need to be in download mode. Hold the "1" and power buttons while your phone is off.

W0lfy B

Mar 18, 2011
Visit site
I'm assuming you want stock/unrooted Froyo EC05 (the latest version)
1) Following "Restore to Eclair DI18 Using Windows" in the 1st post of this thread.
2) Follow the 1st post of this thread to upgrade to Froyo EC05

Actually I already upgraded to Froyo last night through the OTA. I was asking whether or not if I flashed to stock if it would remove Froyo. And if it would remove it then I could just use the thread with the Root + Froyo upgrade after I flashed to stock correct?

ragnarokx

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
I am in download mode with the yellow digger, its still getting stuck.

What troubleshooting have you already done from the 1st post?

Actually I already upgraded to Froyo last night through the OTA. I was asking whether or not if I flashed to stock if it would remove Froyo. And if it would remove it then I could just use the thread with the Root + Froyo upgrade after I flashed to stock correct?

If you updated to Froyo OTA then you are stock. I don't understand your question.

W0lfy B

Mar 18, 2011
Visit site
If you updated to Froyo OTA then you are stock. I don't understand your question.

Sorry, I probably didn't explain well enough. Before I got the OTA to Froyo I was messing around with rooting and clockworkmod and all that stuff. But after that lots of things weren't working right, and when I was trying to use CWM it wasnt working either. So basically, I wanted to know if I flashed to stock would it remove Froyo and Sprint ID (I'm assuming it would). And if so I could just use this method and I would be good to go with everything working properly right?

Last edited:

gex598

Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
I tried using Odin and also heimdall. The heimdall started the update showed 39% and then froze! What finally ended up working is getting to clockwork mod (it wasnt thru the normal boot as that would result in the phone to pc, somehow heimdall sometime would launch clockwork if the phone was plugged to the usb but no in DL mode) I wiped everything several times, including format boot. Reinstalled the EPIC drivers and used DG27 plus s1_odin pit file. Loaded perfect then loaded up the EC05-DXC!

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Sorry, I probably didn't explain well enough. Before I got the OTA to Froyo I was messing around with rooting and clockworkmod and all that stuff. But after that lots of things weren't working right, and when I was trying to use CWM it wasnt working either. So basically, I wanted to know if I flashed to stock would it remove Froyo and Sprint ID (I'm assuming it would). And if so I could just use this method and I would be good to go with everything working properly right?

Yes the prerooted Odin package will give you official EC05 Froyo.

MissDeevi

Oct 12, 2010
Visit site
the only way I could get it to work with my phone was by NOT using pit. It would sit @ analyzing file indefinitely otherwise. Anyway I really appreciate this post, it saved my phone. Thank You!

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
the only way I could get it to work with my phone was by NOT using pit. It would sit @ analyzing file indefinitely otherwise. Anyway I really appreciate this post, it saved my phone. Thank You!

Unless it is stated in whatever Odin package you are using don't include the .pit file. I know the EB13 and EC05 Odin methods we have here DO NOT require the use of the .pit file.