[Root] Samsung Epic 4G Official Froyo EB13 w/Optional EXT4

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
OK, I figured out how to get into Downloading mode, but that didn't help the CPU see it. Now I don't know how to get out of downloading mode.

sorry it didnt recognize it, the reason i had you do that is because it sets up another set of generic set of drivers usually,,,try this, its a trick we use in the fascinate forums,,,with your phone in debugging mode and plugged in, restart the phone. give it a min or two to see if it connects, if it doesnt unplug and plug it back in a couple seconds later

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Paul627G, you seem to know much about this. Can you predict why I can't get the drivers loaded?
Are you running Vista 64-bit or Windows 7? Those do give a lot of trouble, I think Samsung needs to focus on redesigning a set of drivers that "works" for those..

robomav

Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
i know there are issues with windows 7 64 bit. i cant use my laptop for phone stuff because that is what i run and it never works. i have to use my desktop which has windows 7 32 bit.

Wsmcneil

Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
When I reach "copying files to phone" it just stays there, for as long as 20 minutes. i've rebooted and repeated at least 10 times. Are any of the epics "un"rootable?

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
When I reach "copying files to phone" it just stays there, for as long as 20 minutes. i've rebooted and repeated at least 10 times. Are any of the epics "un"rootable?

I would try a different USB port, different cable. Also whenever you do repeat the process reboot phone/computer to make sure everything is cleared out.

scodougle

Mar 18, 2011
Visit site
Windows 7, 32 bit on the first computer. Windows 7 64 bit on second system, and it actually got a little further. I have one more that has XP Pro. Should I try that machine?

mikachu

Jul 30, 2010
Visit site
Hello all, I had a question. I want to begin installing roms. I have rooted eb13. I have backedup all apps and system data via titanium. I want to perform part2 of this prodcedure, but im afraid after reading this:

"What does this procedure do to my phone exactly?
It will permanently root your phone (if not already rooted; also safe for rooted phones), as well as install Clockwork v3.0.0.6, which will format "/cache", "/data" and "/system" from RFS to EXT4. Having an EXT4 filesystem will enable you to install ROMs with EXT4 support, and having Clockwork v3.0.0.5 will enable you to flash ROMs, kernels, themes, etc. that use Edify scripts"

The part where it says it will format /cache, /data and /system. Are those in my sd card? or are they in the phones memory?
Essentially I dont want to lose certain apps data after ext4 convert. Im not sure if titanium backups the data that apps use that are on my sdcard(like certain apps download extra stuff). Also, some of my apps are on sd, are those even backed up?

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Hello all, I had a question. I want to begin installing roms. I have rooted eb13. I have backedup all apps and system data via titanium. I want to perform part2 of this prodcedure, but im afraid after reading this:

"What does this procedure do to my phone exactly?
It will permanently root your phone (if not already rooted; also safe for rooted phones), as well as install Clockwork v3.0.0.6, which will format "/cache", "/data" and "/system" from RFS to EXT4. Having an EXT4 filesystem will enable you to install ROMs with EXT4 support, and having Clockwork v3.0.0.5 will enable you to flash ROMs, kernels, themes, etc. that use Edify scripts"

The part where it says it will format /cache, /data and /system. Are those in my sd card? or are they in the phones memory?
Essentially I dont want to lose certain apps data after ext4 convert. Im not sure if titanium backups the data that apps use that are on my sdcard(like certain apps download extra stuff). Also, some of my apps are on sd, are those even backed up?

Your sdcard remains safe during the installation. No rooting process or use of Odin or other tools will ever format or erase your data on your sdcard.

Using Titanium or MyBackup Root you can restore your backups. We recommend Data Only restores.

mikachu

Jul 30, 2010
Visit site
Thank you. Now what rom do you recommend? Im thinking between viper rom and syndicate rom. I know they are both ext4 so it should work with this sticky. Or do you rec another rom. I want a rom that works well(eg no force closes), looks bad A** and is fast!

Also can you link me to a how-to-flash-a-rom thread. i searched but couldnt find it. (I did find some nice youtube videos, but i prefer written text.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Thank you. Now what rom do you recommend? Im thinking between viper rom and syndicate rom. I know they are both ext4 so it should work with this sticky. Or do you rec another rom. I want a rom that works well(eg no force closes), looks bad A** and is fast!

Also can you link me to a how-to-flash-a-rom thread. i searched but couldnt find it. (I did find some nice youtube videos, but i prefer written text.

First pick out your ROM of choice. Everyone tastes are different, so I always recommend you test drive a few of them. So download a ROM or two and place the zips on your sdcard.

Next complete the second part of the EXT4 conversion.

When you are done you can follow up your installation by flashing one of these ROM's you picked out.

Remember always to "wipe" 3x before flashing any ROM. Follow the devs instructions to the letter, this newer CIQ-Removal is very fussy and if you don't do as said to the letter you will run into troubles.

Any other questions, please ask.

mikachu

Jul 30, 2010
Visit site
okay I have picked the Syndicate rom "fully loaded"
His instructions are:

Installation Notes - back up with Nandroid!

If you are not on EB13: Flash the full TAR with Odin 1.61. Use the included PIT file. Then, use the CWM 3.0.0.6 One Click to install Clockwork and convert to EXT4. WIPE, WIPE, WIPE - then flash the ROM.

If you are coming from the EB13 OTA: Do the above procedure, for best results.

If you are coming from another EB13 ROM with the EB13 modem: Wipe three times in CWM, and flash.

If you are coming from SyndicateROM Frozen 1.0: Back up your data with MyBackup Root, wipe in CWM, and flash.

If you are coming from SyndicateROM Frozen 1.0.1: Just flash.

This package will automatically backup and restore your data.

The installation script automatically formats all partitions with no journalling! No mods or other flashables are needed!

Since im using this guide and am done with part2(will be if this download ever finishes). Then im guessing I should do the "If you are coming from another EB13 ROM with the EB13 modem: Wipe three times in CWM, and flash" part of his instruction.

Can you make it more noob friendly for me? Im guessing I already have the eb13 modem. So then all i gotta do is flash with CWM.

Another question is, Since im done with part2(hypothetical right now), how would i tell clockworkmod to make that my official backup rom incase the flash fails to go to syndicate rom. or do i use another way to make an official backedup rom. I.e. How do i make a backup of my current state(the state after part2).

Thanks again :)

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
okay I have picked the Syndicate rom "fully loaded"
His instructions are:

Installation Notes - back up with Nandroid!

If you are not on EB13: Flash the full TAR with Odin 1.61. Use the included PIT file. Then, use the CWM 3.0.0.6 One Click to install Clockwork and convert to EXT4. WIPE, WIPE, WIPE - then flash the ROM.

If you are coming from the EB13 OTA: Do the above procedure, for best results.

If you are coming from another EB13 ROM with the EB13 modem: Wipe three times in CWM, and flash.

If you are coming from SyndicateROM Frozen 1.0: Back up your data with MyBackup Root, wipe in CWM, and flash.

If you are coming from SyndicateROM Frozen 1.0.1: Just flash.

This package will automatically backup and restore your data.

The installation script automatically formats all partitions with no journalling! No mods or other flashables are needed!

Since im using this guide and am done with part2(will be if this download ever finishes). Then im guessing I should do the "If you are coming from another EB13 ROM with the EB13 modem: Wipe three times in CWM, and flash" part of his instruction.
Yes that is correct.
Can you make it more noob friendly for me? Im guessing I already have the eb13 modem. So then all i gotta do is flash with CWM.
Yes once you complete the conversion process you can flash the Syndicate ROM.

Make sure, once you complete the process it will boot you into your current ROM. Then you must reboot into CWM (shut down completely then press and hold Volume Down+Camera+Power) for a few seconds this will boot you into CWM but for this first time around you will notice it continues to complete the EXT4 conversion. You will see it making backups and restore to finish, takes about 5 minutes.

Another question is, Since im done with part2(hypothetical right now), how would i tell clockworkmod to make that my official backup rom incase the flash fails to go to syndicate rom. or do i use another way to make an official backedup rom. I.e. How do i make a backup of my current state(the state after part2).

Thanks again :)
Once you have done the above that I mentioned about rebooting into CWM and it finishing the conversion process you should be sitting in CWM 3.0.0.6 with Orange text. You can now wipe your 3x and flash the Syndicate ROM.

Once your completed with flashing the Syndicate ROM you can shut down and reboot into CWM once again and make a Backup using the backup option before you consider making any changes if you like. Then you will have this to "Restore" to if something goes wrong with any of your changes you make.

Most of this will start to make sense once you go threw the motions. Just keep your copy of the Syndicate ROM on your sdcard so if something ever goes wrong you have it there to reflash the ROM and start from scratch if need be.

If you like you can always make a backup of the stock CWM3.0.0.6/EXT4 conversion ROM before you flash the Syndicate ROM.

There is really no "set" backup ROM, whenever you choose to "Restore" a ROM it will be listed by a Date and Time. There is no filename or way to give it a filename in CWM. So you just have to make a mental note or something of what backup is which in CWM. I usually keep no more than 1 or 2 backups at a time. You can clear out old backups by using a file explorer utility like Astro, ES File Explorer, Root Explorer and looking for the following directory "sdcard/clockworkmod/backups" in there you will find the backups and you can delete out old, unwanted backups.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87