to Flash or not to Flash from DK28 to EB13. DK28 vs EB13 Pros vs cons.

Addie_Goodvibes

Mar 11, 2010
Visit site
OK I wanted to get a consensus about how the new EB13 Froyo is compared to the leaked 2.2 DK28 those of us who flashed & have been running with very little problems.

Is the EB13 a huge step up from DK28?
What changes are in EB13 that aren't available in DK28?

Are there notable improvements in the EB13 over the DK28, NOT compared to 2.1 but changes from the DK28?

Are there any complaints about the new EB13 2.2.1 from Those wHO already flashed DK28

Is the GPS issue better in EB13 vs DK28?
Wifi? better?worse? no change?? Bluetooth issues?

Are the changes from 2.2 to 2.2.1 significant enough for those to flash from DK28 to the EB13 or are we better off sticking with the EB13?

Sorry for any redundancies here, I am hoping to avoid further issues when I decide to flash to EB13. As for now DK28 has been good to me.

Reactions: jontitel

ragnarokx

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
I don't notice any major differences. The only reason I flashed was to confirm rooting methods and test EXT4 (not supported yet). The only good thing so far about EB13 is the source code that we got with it. So until there are some sick kernels out, I see no reason to move from DK28.

Quis89

Q&A Team
Oct 15, 2009
Visit site
I can only speak on the issues that I had with DK28...

Keyboard issues...non-existent with EB13. The keyboard missed keys every other letter on DK28...not anymore. Thats the improvement I'm most happy about.

GPS works flawlessly now for me. Others are report issues but I havent had one. I'll try again on my way to work tomorrow just to ensure this though.

Battery life is very impressive thus far. I updated my phone as soon as it was released on the Samsung site...so that was about 6 hours ago and I've only dropped about 20% battery in that time. I threw in a full battery after updating. 20% drop in 6 hours seems pretty good to me in comparison to DK28.

Wi-Fi is working just fine to me. But I never had an issue before. Not sure what issues I should be looking for there.

Bluetooth...havent tried it yet...

Addie_Goodvibes

Mar 11, 2010
Visit site
I don't notice any major differences. The only reason I flashed was to confirm rooting methods and test EXT4 (not supported yet). The only good thing so far about EB13 is the source code that we got with it. So until there are some sick kernels out, I see no reason to move from DK28.

Thank you for your reply, Your response confirms my expectation of the EB13. and all the help these forums have provided i am happy with DK28.

I can only speak on the issues that I had with DK28...

GPS works flawlessly now for me. Others are report issues but I havent had one.

Battery life is very impressive thus far. I updated my phone as soon as it was released on the Samsung site...so that was about 6 hours ago and I've only dropped about 20% battery in that time. I threw in a full battery after updating. 20% drop in 6 hours seems pretty good to me in comparison to DK28.

Wi-Fi is working just fine to me. But I never had an issue before. Not sure what issues I should be looking for there.

Bluetooth...havent tried it yet...

Thank you for the response.. GPS is my biggest concern that and bluetooth. I have had some bluetooth issues with DK28 only on my BlueAnt bt not with Plantronics..

Thanks for the replies.. keep um' coming..

Addie_Goodvibes

Mar 11, 2010
Visit site

Another question I had.. did the Sprint OTA EB13 come packaged with more Sprint bloatware like Sprint ID? This would be my Main reason NOT to do an OTA update..

seanp316

Dec 8, 2010
Visit site
Google calendar not syncing w/ eb13

I've tried to sync and resync my google calendar and am it is not syncing with any of my calendars. I never had this issue on the DK28 rooted or not. I am having this issue on both stock and rooted EB13. Anyone else?

Mobius360

Aug 26, 2010
Visit site
I am finding improved overall speed. Biggest thing is when sliding keyboard in/out the redraw is instant vs DK28 or Trulyepic 1.2 & 1.5 where is would take 5 to 20 seconds. Moving an app to the SD card seems faster. Still have the issue though of camera force closing if selecting sport mode which for me first appeared with Trulyepic 1.5. Not sure this is fixable unless samsung has a camera update. Would be curious to hear if others are still seeing this issue.

jagra

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Bluetooth is so much better with EB13

It seems to be running much faster than dk28. I always had issues with bluetooth sync with my pioneer, i tried it last night instantly picked up. task manager widget from samsung used to disappear all the time. I havent had that issue with EB13. SD card scanning seems to be faster. definitely
worth the upgrade...GPS still not working

Last edited:

langj

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
How about the random text message thing. Where your phone text people that you did not send text too. I have had this problem off and on with dk28 seems to do it when you are getting a text or email while sending one out, it then sends your text to random people. I once had it lock in a loop and send out like 10 text to random contacts. I also get a lot of lag in dk28 I tried the methods listed here to fix but still laggy. Another complaint I had with dk28 is that when I click a contact in the messenger program it would start me at the first text I ever sent the person untill I slide out the keyboard and rerotate the phone it would then go to the end. Are any of these issues fixed???

dmlee

Jul 11, 2010
Visit site
PROS:
SD card scanning seems to be faster for me too.
Wifi is more stable.
GPS locks on quicker.
Generally more speedy.
Improved battery life on idle. (this was when i was on stock eb13 kernel.)

CONS:
Boot and shutdown sound can't be turned off yet. (to my knowledge)
Still getting 50% cell standby

Last edited:
Reactions: Addie_Goodvibes

dmlee

Jul 11, 2010
Visit site
How about the random text message thing. Where your phone text people that you did not send text too. I have had this problem off and on with dk28 seems to do it when you are getting a text or email while sending one out, it then sends your text to random people. I once had it lock in a loop and send out like 10 text to random contacts. I also get a lot of lag in dk28 I tried the methods listed here to fix but still laggy. Another complaint I had with dk28 is that when I click a contact in the messenger program it would start me at the first text I ever sent the person untill I slide out the keyboard and rerotate the phone it would then go to the end. Are any of these issues fixed???

I also had the random texting issue, and I haven't experienced it yet...but i've only sent about 30 texts since upgrading.

traumahawk

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
my battery life is amazing on dk28 with TER and genocide. 16 hours since i unplugged, active use, and im @ 29%. GPS is locking on very quick. accurate to <4m. wifi is great. tether is great. no problems with network connection. no problems sending txt messages. it is working great. WHY switch to EB13?? there are no roms. if someone can make TER work on EB13, and make my android scribble work, then yes. i will switch. otherwise... whats so special? no roms, no killer kernels, and dk28 can be made to run pretty much flawlessly with a little tweaking.

Last edited:
Reactions: Addie_Goodvibes

dmlee

Jul 11, 2010
Visit site
my battery life is amazing on dk28 with TER and genocide. 16 hours since i unplugged, active use, and im @ 29%. GPS is locking on very quick. accurate to <4m. wifi is great. tether is great. no problems with network connection. no problems sending txt messages. it is working great. WHY switch to EB13?? there is no roms. if someone can make TER work on EB13, and make my android scribble work, then yes. i will switch. otherwise... whats so special? no roms, no killer kernels, and dk28 can be made to run pretty much flawlessly with a little tweaking.

If you're running genocide, aren't you already on eb13?

Bluerai

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
my battery life is amazing on dk28 with TER and genocide. 16 hours since i unplugged, active use, and im @ 29%. GPS is locking on very quick. accurate to <4m. wifi is great. tether is great. no problems with network connection. no problems sending txt messages. it is working great. WHY switch to EB13?? there is no roms. if someone can make TER work on EB13, and make my android scribble work, then yes. i will switch. otherwise... whats so special? no roms, no killer kernels, and dk28 can be made to run pretty much flawlessly with a little tweaking.

I guess I'm just not experiencing the same battery life..
My screen is using a crazy amount of my battery, more than it EVER did before I had rooted.. Seems to drain less while the screen is off though.
(Phone has been unplugged for 6.5hrs, screen on for ~1.5, down to 50% with the screen using 97% of the battery...)

My GPS won't lock, and my Wifi is weird sometimes.

Other than that, everything is great for me lol.
So I plan on redoing everything once some ROM's come out, see if some of my issues don't get fixed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zif835