Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    957 Global Posts
    ROM
    Froyo DK28

Default to Flash or not to Flash from DK28 to EB13. DK28 vs EB13 Pros vs cons.

OK I wanted to get a consensus about how the new EB13 Froyo is compared to the leaked 2.2 DK28 those of us who flashed & have been running with very little problems.

Is the EB13 a huge step up from DK28?
    What changes are in EB13 that aren't available in DK28?

Are there notable improvements in the EB13 over the DK28, NOT compared to 2.1 but changes from the DK28?

Are there any complaints about the new EB13 2.2.1 from Those wHO already flashed DK28

Is the GPS issue better in EB13 vs DK28?
    Wifi? better?worse? no change?? Bluetooth issues?

Are the changes from 2.2 to 2.2.1 significant enough for those to flash from DK28 to the EB13 or are we better off sticking with the EB13?

Sorry for any redundancies here, I am hoping to avoid further issues when I decide to flash to EB13. As for now DK28 has been good to me.
    Please add thanks if I have helped you in anyway. I will always spread the Aloha and reciprocate.
    Samsung Epic; Froyo DK28
    Carrier Sprint since 1998
    Palm Pilot 1997 + Nokia 7650,8200, Palm Treo 700p 2005, Palm Pre June 2009, Sayonara Palm. Android Sept. 2010
    Thanked by:

I don't notice any major differences. The only reason I flashed was to confirm rooting methods and test EXT4 (not supported yet). The only good thing so far about EB13 is the source code that we got with it. So until there are some sick kernels out, I see no reason to move from DK28.
    Thanked by 2:

Global Posts
    712 Global Posts

I can only speak on the issues that I had with DK28...

Keyboard issues...non-existent with EB13. The keyboard missed keys every other letter on DK28...not anymore. Thats the improvement I'm most happy about.

GPS works flawlessly now for me. Others are report issues but I havent had one. I'll try again on my way to work tomorrow just to ensure this though.

Battery life is very impressive thus far. I updated my phone as soon as it was released on the Samsung site...so that was about 6 hours ago and I've only dropped about 20% battery in that time. I threw in a full battery after updating. 20% drop in 6 hours seems pretty good to me in comparison to DK28.

Wi-Fi is working just fine to me. But I never had an issue before. Not sure what issues I should be looking for there.

Bluetooth...havent tried it yet...
    Thanked by 2:
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Global Posts
    957 Global Posts
    ROM
    Froyo DK28

Quote Originally Posted by ragnarokx View Post
    I don't notice any major differences. The only reason I flashed was to confirm rooting methods and test EXT4 (not supported yet). The only good thing so far about EB13 is the source code that we got with it. So until there are some sick kernels out, I see no reason to move from DK28.
    Thank you for your reply, Your response confirms my expectation of the EB13. and all the help these forums have provided i am happy with DK28.

Quote Originally Posted by Quis View Post
    I can only speak on the issues that I had with DK28...

GPS works flawlessly now for me. Others are report issues but I havent had one.

Battery life is very impressive thus far. I updated my phone as soon as it was released on the Samsung site...so that was about 6 hours ago and I've only dropped about 20% battery in that time. I threw in a full battery after updating. 20% drop in 6 hours seems pretty good to me in comparison to DK28.

Wi-Fi is working just fine to me. But I never had an issue before. Not sure what issues I should be looking for there.

Bluetooth...havent tried it yet...
    Thank you for the response.. GPS is my biggest concern that and bluetooth. I have had some bluetooth issues with DK28 only on my BlueAnt bt not with Plantronics..

Thanks for the replies.. keep um' coming..
    Please add thanks if I have helped you in anyway. I will always spread the Aloha and reciprocate.
    Samsung Epic; Froyo DK28
    Palm Pilot 1997 + Nokia 7650,8200, Palm Treo 700p 2005, Palm Pre June 2009, Sayonara Palm. Android Sept. 2010
    Thanked by:
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Global Posts
    957 Global Posts
    ROM
    Froyo DK28

Quote Originally Posted by ragnarokx View Post
    Another question I had.. did the Sprint OTA EB13 come packaged with more Sprint bloatware like Sprint ID? This would be my Main reason NOT to do an OTA update..
    Samsung Epic; Froyo DK28
    Thanked by 2:

ROM
    EB13 with Genocide v.2a

Quote Originally Posted by addie_goodvibes View Post
    Another question I had.. did the Sprint OTA EB13 come packaged with more Sprint bloatware like Sprint ID? This would be my Main reason NOT to do an OTA update..
    There is no Sprint ID that I can see. For the most part, it looks the same as DK28.
    Epic 4g - Stock EB13 with Genocide v.2a Kernel

Click 'Thanks' if I helped you!
    Thanked by 3:

Global Posts
    21 Global Posts
    ROM
    Twilight Zone FroZen

Default Google calendar not syncing w/ eb13

I've tried to sync and resync my google calendar and am it is not syncing with any of my calendars. I never had this issue on the DK28 rooted or not. I am having this issue on both stock and rooted EB13. Anyone else?
    Thanked by 2:

ROM
    EH17 U. Metamorphosis 2.0

I will go back to DK28 I love it. I do not see improvements between EB13 and DK28.
    I will stay on Dk28 for the time being.
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    582 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock 4.1.1

I am finding improved overall speed. Biggest thing is when sliding keyboard in/out the redraw is instant vs DK28 or Trulyepic 1.2 & 1.5 where is would take 5 to 20 seconds. Moving an app to the SD card seems faster. Still have the issue though of camera force closing if selecting sport mode which for me first appeared with Trulyepic 1.5. Not sure this is fixable unless samsung has a camera update. Would be curious to hear if others are still seeing this issue.
    Thanked by:

Default Bluetooth is so much better with EB13

It seems to be running much faster than dk28. I always had issues with bluetooth sync with my pioneer, i tried it last night instantly picked up. task manager widget from samsung used to disappear all the time. I havent had that issue with EB13. SD card scanning seems to be faster. definitely
    worth the upgrade...GPS still not working
    Last edited by jagra; 02-22-2011 at 12:37 PM.

Global Posts
    25 Global Posts

How about the random text message thing. Where your phone text people that you did not send text too. I have had this problem off and on with dk28 seems to do it when you are getting a text or email while sending one out, it then sends your text to random people. I once had it lock in a loop and send out like 10 text to random contacts. I also get a lot of lag in dk28 I tried the methods listed here to fix but still laggy. Another complaint I had with dk28 is that when I click a contact in the messenger program it would start me at the first text I ever sent the person untill I slide out the keyboard and rerotate the phone it would then go to the end. Are any of these issues fixed???

ROM
    EB13 with Genocide v.2a

PROS:
    SD card scanning seems to be faster for me too.
    Wifi is more stable.
    GPS locks on quicker.
    Generally more speedy.
    Improved battery life on idle. (this was when i was on stock eb13 kernel.)

CONS:
    Boot and shutdown sound can't be turned off yet. (to my knowledge)
    Still getting 50% cell standby
    Last edited by dmlee; 02-22-2011 at 04:43 PM. Reason: more cons.

Thanked by:

ROM
    EB13 with Genocide v.2a

Quote Originally Posted by langj View Post
    How about the random text message thing. Where your phone text people that you did not send text too. I have had this problem off and on with dk28 seems to do it when you are getting a text or email while sending one out, it then sends your text to random people. I once had it lock in a loop and send out like 10 text to random contacts. I also get a lot of lag in dk28 I tried the methods listed here to fix but still laggy. Another complaint I had with dk28 is that when I click a contact in the messenger program it would start me at the first text I ever sent the person untill I slide out the keyboard and rerotate the phone it would then go to the end. Are any of these issues fixed???

I also had the random texting issue, and I haven't experienced it yet...but i've only sent about 30 texts since upgrading.

Global Posts
    25 Global Posts

Thanks could you try to text and have a friend send a text to you at the same time that seems to be a trigger for it.

ROM
    NuSense ICS

my battery life is amazing on dk28 with TER and genocide. 16 hours since i unplugged, active use, and im @ 29%. GPS is locking on very quick. accurate to <4m. wifi is great. tether is great. no problems with network connection. no problems sending txt messages. it is working great. WHY switch to EB13?? there are no roms. if someone can make TER work on EB13, and make my android scribble work, then yes. i will switch. otherwise... whats so special? no roms, no killer kernels, and dk28 can be made to run pretty much flawlessly with a little tweaking.
    Last edited by traumahawk; 03-02-2011 at 12:03 AM. Reason: grammar
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    712 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by tomy2001 View Post
    I will go back to DK28 I love it. I do not see improvements between EB13 and DK28.
    I will stay on Dk28 for the time being.
    What is the point of that?? There's no disadvantages of going to eb13.
  17. Thread Author  Thread Author    #17  

Global Posts
    957 Global Posts
    ROM
    Froyo DK28

Quote Originally Posted by Quis View Post
    What is the point of that?? There's no disadvantages of going to eb13.

File system EXT4 and no TER, is my guess why most will hold off on EB13
    Samsung Epic; Froyo DK28

ROM
    EB13 with Genocide v.2a

Quote Originally Posted by traumahawk View Post
    my battery life is amazing on dk28 with TER and genocide. 16 hours since i unplugged, active use, and im @ 29%. GPS is locking on very quick. accurate to <4m. wifi is great. tether is great. no problems with network connection. no problems sending txt messages. it is working great. WHY switch to EB13?? there is no roms. if someone can make TER work on EB13, and make my android scribble work, then yes. i will switch. otherwise... whats so special? no roms, no killer kernels, and dk28 can be made to run pretty much flawlessly with a little tweaking.
    If you're running genocide, aren't you already on eb13?

Quote Originally Posted by traumahawk View Post
    my battery life is amazing on dk28 with TER and genocide. 16 hours since i unplugged, active use, and im @ 29%. GPS is locking on very quick. accurate to <4m. wifi is great. tether is great. no problems with network connection. no problems sending txt messages. it is working great. WHY switch to EB13?? there is no roms. if someone can make TER work on EB13, and make my android scribble work, then yes. i will switch. otherwise... whats so special? no roms, no killer kernels, and dk28 can be made to run pretty much flawlessly with a little tweaking.
    I guess I'm just not experiencing the same battery life..
    My screen is using a crazy amount of my battery, more than it EVER did before I had rooted.. Seems to drain less while the screen is off though.
    (Phone has been unplugged for 6.5hrs, screen on for ~1.5, down to 50% with the screen using 97% of the battery...)

My GPS won't lock, and my Wifi is weird sometimes.

Other than that, everything is great for me lol.
    So I plan on redoing everything once some ROMs come out, see if some of my issues don't get fixed.

My screen is also sucking my battery dry very fast on eb13

Orientation is slow aswell.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by addie_goodvibes View Post
    File system EXT4 and no TER, is my guess why most will hold off on EB13
    I updated to EB13 and rooted (stock rom). I miss TER. I hate stock rom. If you haven't made the change...don't. Everything was better on Dk28 and specifically TER. One noticeable thing is battery life is worse for me on EB13. Thinking about going back to DK28 so I can have TER.

ROM
    Baked Snaked 2.2!

people who comment about battery life, make sure you recalibrate ur batterys! Best battery for me was when i was using baked snaked 1.6 on 2.1 eclair. The battery would last me 2-3 days sometimes. Ultimate kernel was the shiz. I really wonder where Hero_Over went.. that guy makes the best kernels lol

Quote Originally Posted by persianpimp View Post
    people who comment about battery life, make sure you recalibrate ur batterys! Best battery for me was when i was using baked snaked 1.6 on 2.1 eclair. The battery would last me 2-3 days sometimes. Ultimate kernel was the shiz. I really wonder where Hero_Over went.. that guy makes the best kernels lol
    Recalibrate your battery? Your kidding right.

ROM
    Baked Snaked 2.2!

Quote Originally Posted by jerseykat1 View Post
    Recalibrate your battery? Your kidding right.

no, why would i be kidding, it makes a great difference

Quote Originally Posted by persianpimp View Post
    no, why would i be kidding, it makes a great difference
    Ok please do explain how this is done. I have never heard of "calibrating a battery"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast