Which EB13 Rom should I flash?

Which EB13 rom is your favorite?

• Total voters

jrz5024

Dec 12, 2010
Visit site
I'm finally home for Spring break, I have a little extra time on my hands, time to take the EB13 plunge. Only question is, which ROM is best?

Myself, I'm primarily looking for stability and battery life above speed, as I don't really care about benchmarks.

unorthatrox

Jan 19, 2011
Visit site
I've been using TER a long time but I think im gonna try syndicate tonight. Need to compare and research the kernals a bit more first.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk

GhostDecon

Oct 25, 2010
Visit site
Personally I'm staying stock with EXT4... My GPS is working great, email syncs properly and everything is very smooth. I've been thinking about trying ACS but after reading several pages of the thread at XDA it sounds like people are still having lots of issues. I would be pissed if I flashed a new rom and had to sit there working through bugs. Once the issues are smoothed out i'll probably be more interested, but for now i'm just leaving it the way it is.

gpeterson

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
I've been using Syndicate for a couple days now. It flies and has good battery life. No complaints on my end.

Same here - Syndicate seems to have a strong mix of solid battery life and no lag. A few folks reporting bugs here and there, I haven't run into any yet personally other than the kernel / setcpu issue which has already been fixed and is working just fine.

ShaLea

Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
I too am on stock ROM. I must say.... It is working very well. GPS, fast, no lagging. I'm sold. so far. But I am a fan of Bonsai & midNight so I am still watching those ROM threads. hopefully by v2 or 3, there will be little issues.

Since9600

Oct 24, 2010
Visit site
I started out with a deodexed stock .. Then I started adding pieces of other themes/roms.. You'll be surprised how interchangable it all is.. Theme from here.. kernal from there.. Oh I think I like this dialer.. :)

nmoreman

Apr 2, 2010
Visit site
Love Midnight, have been on since 2.??. Most on this forum are good, there are a lot more over at XDA, but get very technical.

Read through and see the support, that is what counts. I really like TER too, these two have the mods on there answering questions with others that are skilled and chime in.

Be sure you read, and re read. Its not hard, but need to learn the terms. You need to learn and understand what you are doing. And if you are stuck, explain what you did. It is hard to brick your phone. I actually thought I had yesterday, but kept hitting the search button, found right place to ask, and I'm
up and running great. Good luck, its fun when you figure it out, will give you
something to do between classes.

jrz5024

Dec 12, 2010
Visit site
Well, it seems like Syndicate is the clear winner, so I'll go with them.

Just to be clear on what I'm doing, I need to do the following things in the following order... and please correct me if I'm wrong

1. Since I'm running a Dl18 ROM, first I restore back to stock 2.1 w/ Odin
2. Install Eb13
3. Root, install CWM 3.0 which should convert to EXT4
4. Flash SyndicateROM

Is that about it?

Last edited:

jrz5024

Dec 12, 2010
Visit site
Thanks Rag, I still need to revert back to stock 2.1 before applying that update though, correct?

EDIT: Read the thread, answered my own question. Here goes nothing!

EDIT2: Rooted, booted and... um... well, running SyndicateROM. That was remarkably painless compared to my first rooting experience. First impressions upon playing around with it: speed. Like, woah. Just scored 2052 on Quadrant, up from mid 900s. We'll see how battery life fares clocked at 1.2 though.

Last edited:

GSF1200S

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
There is one thing you definitely need to keep in mind if you flash Syndicate ROM at the moment: DO NOT let your battery die!

If the phone is off when you plug-in the charger, the phone will freeze trying to load the battery charge indicator, and the screen will stay on/front buttons lit up. I havent checked to see if the phone actually charges in this frozen state, but I do know the only way to fix it is to pull the battery.

I do think Syndicate overall is a very nice rom (one of the best actually), but I would give the cake to ACE. Doesnt try to do too much, great battery life, and the dev is pretty down to earth..

Reactions: Paul627g

jrz5024

Dec 12, 2010
Visit site
There is one thing you definitely need to keep in mind if you flash Syndicate ROM at the moment: DO NOT let your battery die!

If the phone is off when you plug-in the charger, the phone will freeze trying to load the battery charge indicator, and the screen will stay on/front buttons lit up. I havent checked to see if the phone actually charges in this frozen state, but I do know the only way to fix it is to pull the battery.

Good to know, I'll keep that in mind. Does this actually do any damage or is it just a strange bug?

ragnarokx

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
Actually there's another way out of the frozen charging screen - vol up+camera+power then immediately hold vol down+camera+power to get to Clockwork, from there you can reboot. Seems like a harmless (but inconvenient) bug.

GSF1200S

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
Actually there's another way out of the frozen charging screen - vol up+camera+power then immediately hold vol down+camera+power to get to Clockwork, from there you can reboot. Seems like a harmless (but inconvenient) bug.

Thing is, what if the battery is completely dead (as in, the phone shut itself off)? If that bug prevents it from charging or using AC power, can you even get it to clockwork mod? Imagine trying to calibrate the battery!

jrz5024- Its not harmful- as long as you have some juice in the battery its just a nuisance. Im trying to calibrate the battery on ACE right now, otherwise id check myself to see if it actually charges in this frozen state..

Last edited:

jrz5024

Dec 12, 2010
Visit site
Thing is, what if the battery is completely dead (as in, the phone shut itself off)? If that bug prevents it from charging or using AC power, can you even get it to clockwork mod? Imagine trying to calibrate the battery!

Fortunately, I have two batteries so I don't have to worry about that :)

jrz5024

Dec 12, 2010
Visit site
So for anyone wondering, my first 24 hours with SyndicateROM was a whirlwind of emotions. Love, hate, even a little horny at one point.

First off (this is the horny part), this shiz is fast . Mad fast. Like, nearly instantaneous fast. It feels like the OS is half the size is was before. Everything you touch is executed instantly, without any lag or hesitation longer than the screen transition itself. Gone are the random stutters and unresponsiveness from before. Especially noticeable is the improvement in SD Card read times, which takes mere seconds to read what used to take minutes.

Amazingly enough, battery life seems pretty awesome too, even clocked at 1.2 GHz. I unplugged my phone at about 9 AM this morning, it's now 2 PM and I still have 68% battery, but that's with an hour of screen time, an hour+ of streaming pandora, some web surfing, and making a 20 min phone call while playing fruit ninja (I'm a multitasker, what can I say).

It seems about 98% stable overall, minus a couple known bugs that still need ironing out. On my first flash I got constant fc's from google contact sync whenever I connected or disconnected from 3g, very annoying. I was able to fix it by re-flashing, at least for the time being. Search key still doesn't work, but it's easily fixable by flashing the Google Search .apk. The other known bug is an SSL error causing Dolphin to crash on some sites. However, all of these errors should be fixed with the release of 1.0.1, which should be out literally any time now, thanks to the fantastic work from the folks over at ACS. So for anyone thinking of flashing Syndicate, DO IT, this rom is amazing, just wait until 1.0.1 comes out.

Reactions: froyotlbw88

gitit20

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
I have been using Ace rom 1.7 by paul and love it its stable as hell fast and has a nice clean theme... give it a try... http://m.forum.androidcentral.com/showthread.php?t=62681

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech