Bonsai v4.0.1 based on Froyo EC05!

Status
Not open for further replies.

nmoreman

Apr 2, 2010
Visit site
I have a question, just flashed Bonsai and have been running Midnight 4.2.

I had a problem, my battery was getting chomped. I am 3g, went to 4g area for vacation, thought something was stuck. Spare Parts showed the Running
to be over 70%. I took off new apps, did all the tricks, and couldn't get anything to change.

So upgraded to EC05, Bonsai 4.0, and still the Running under Battery Usage in
Spare Parts is at 35%.

This used to run at 15%, so I have a leafless version with only Handcent, K-9
and Spare Parts extra apps over the rom.

Any ideas? It was great on everything, even 13 until I went on vacation and turned on 4g (and yes, it is off)

a_c_s

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
have you toggled airplane mode for TWS issue? Wondering if that could be part of it... I was also on midNIGHT 4.2 and am also now on Bonsai 4.0 and my battery life is the best I've ever experienced on this phone... I use 3g mostly and 4G when I need to, but turn that off for the most part as it chews battery like crazy...

nmoreman

Apr 2, 2010
Visit site
Yes, I always do airplane toggle, some say now built in, but its a habit!! As well as running apps - all the Samsung crap - I turn off while toggling.

I had great success with Midnight, but went on vacation, using 4G, had all types of issues, battery drain, etc. Then noticed very high running rate on Battery Usage in Spare Parts. Couldn't figure out anything so decided a clean start and try Bonsai.

Spare Parts Battery History was running 70-80% on Midnight before, had always been, I think, close to 10%, give or take, so this was alarming and showed the problem.
It is now dropping, running about 15% in Other Usage with screen on at 4.2

How do you like Bonsai compare to Midnight, I just loaded this morning and haven't really been able to use to tell. I miss all the extras, so need to load back - I always go through market so data won't corrupt. Takes more time, but I really want to load things slow to see how this is running.

Any thoughts??

a_c_s

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
I like Bonsai a lot... different than midNIGHT... I had to do a lot more customizing every time I flashed on midNIGHT... they both do great work though... I'm on Bonsai using a Baked Snack kernel and very happy with the pairing... Bonsai works great out of the box and I haven't found a single bug of note yet... I think you'll be pretty happy with it... I use Titanium to back up and restore apps... don't think I'd have the patience to do it all via market, plus not all my apps are from the market in the first place...

spectator52

Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
I like Bonsai a lot... different than midNIGHT... I had to do a lot more customizing every time I flashed on midNIGHT... they both do great work though... I'm on Bonsai using a Baked Snack kernel and very happy with the pairing... Bonsai works great out of the box and I haven't found a single bug of note yet... I think you'll be pretty happy with it... I use Titanium to back up and restore apps... don't think I'd have the patience to do it all via market, plus not all my apps are from the market in the first place...

which baked snack kernal are you running? I recently got a membership to bakedsnackshack.com I read these instructions but got very confused.

I love the Bonsai ROM and would love to use a different kernal. What steps did you take to flash your bakedsnackshack kernal?

a_c_s

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
which baked snack kernal are you running? I recently got a membership to bakedsnackshack.com I read these instructions but got very confused.

I love the Bonsai ROM and would love to use a different kernal. What steps did you take to flash your bakedsnackshack kernal?

I am using 1.2low... if you flash BS 2.2, it will install a folder on your SD called a1bakedsauce... within that there is a choice of 5 kernels... once you have that installed, you can flash back to Bonsai, then just use clockwork to navigate to the folder on your SD and flash the zip to the kernel you want... there are two 1.2 kernels and 3 1.28 kernels... for whatever reason, 1.2low seems to work the best for me... as far as I know he hasn't broken down an easier way to acquire the newest kernels other than linpack, which is readily available on his site or this forum... I've never tried that particular one...

nmoreman

Apr 2, 2010
Visit site
I'm reading above and thinking about how to flash the kernels. I decided to try out Syndicate. Love the kernel, some of the built in things, and speed, but its eating my battery, I've had 2 freezes, can't load cpu to monitor, and some apps/programs appearing to slow down. Have recalibrated battery, but nothing. Can't figure it out, and tired of messing with it tonight.

Will probably go back to Bonsai tomorrow, did add Blue Midnight Theme and it looks great.

Is there an advantage to changing to the kernel you talk about above? I really
want the dependable battery, not trying to burn up the phone on speed.

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
Bad Signal...

I'm not sure if it is a coincidence or not, but ever since I went to the Bonsai ROM the reception on my phone has been giving me trouble.

More specifically...at least once per day I will get a call and answer it only to find that I can not hear the caller and they can not hear me. If I hang up and try and call the person back it shows the call is being made and I can see the seconds ticking but I hear nothing. If I wait for them to call again, I can see the call come in, but the ringer never makes any sound. When I answer the call I get the same result as the first time. The phone loses all sounds. I know this because if I try and push the toggle up button on the side to increase the ringer volume I can see the green line adjust but I get no confirmation "beeps" equal to that sound level. Usually at this point I try and power the phone off and it gets stuck on the Sprint screen and I have to do a battery pull. Once I power back up the phone works like a charm again.

Any ideas? Any similar experiences?

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
I know we have had the bug where you need to toggle the speaker on/off when you answer the call. That usually fixes the incall speaker problem. My wifes Epic has this a lot, yet I've only had it happen a few times on mine. She's still running leaked DK28 Froyo, I'm on EB13 with EC05 based ROM. The sound being completely gone that is something I haven't heard about.

Sent from my Epic 4g....

kenrico

Dec 22, 2010
Visit site
Sprint/Samsung Apps

NOTE: This is only a zip file containing those apps and others. Download it and extract it to a location on your computer. Then you can move whatever apps you want to install to you sdcard.

Sprint apps = Click on them with any file explorer (Astro/Es File Explorer) and they will give you the option to install directly from the sdcard

Samsung apps= These need to be moved to the "/system/app " location on your device. You need to use either Root Explorer from the Market (Cost like $1.99) very well worth the money. Or you can use ES File Explorer to transfer the files to this root access level directory.

Hey again Paul627g - took the plunge to EXT 4 and Bonsai 4.0 this afternoon. The only thing I miss from the stock is the Sammy Task Manager Widget. DL the ES File Manager and moved SamsungWidget_ProgramMonitor.apk to the /system/app in the phone. But only seeing Task Manager in the app tray - totally missing something .

Total newb here, any advice on getting/accessing/installing the widget would be welcome :cool:

Last edited:

skyward

Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
Just an FYI this theme works well with the rom.

[THEME][EB13][3/17/11]Honeycomb Fusion 1.1 / Addons! (SRF/Bonsai compatible)

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
Sprint/Samsung Apps

NOTE: This is only a zip file containing those apps and others. Download it and extract it to a location on your computer. Then you can move whatever apps you want to install to you sdcard.

Sprint apps = Click on them with any file explorer (Astro/Es File Explorer) and they will give you the option to install directly from the sdcard

Samsung apps= These need to be moved to the "/system/app " location on your device. You need to use either Root Explorer from the Market (Cost like $1.99) very well worth the money. Or you can use ES File Explorer to transfer the files to this root access level directory.

I would really recommend Root Explorer, you will use it time and time again down the road for managing apps with custom ROMs. You can delete apps, move, copy, paste, zip and much more with this utility..

Sprint apps loladed up just fine, but after moving the Samsung apps to the system/app folder they are nowhere to be found. Is there a trick to getting them to load properly?

khughes6

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
so basically I have stock ec05 right now because i wasn't sure i had cwm 3.0.0.6 on my pre-rooted ec05 that I got from this site, and now I can't seem to get my phone rooted to 3.0.0.6 with any of the methods I have tried, can anyone point me in the correct direction!?

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
so basically I have stock ec05 right now because i wasn't sure i had cwm 3.0.0.6 on my pre-rooted ec05 that I got from this site, and now I can't seem to get my phone rooted to 3.0.0.6 with any of the methods I have tried, can anyone point me in the correct direction!?

What part are you getting stuck at? More information the better.

khughes6

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
What part are you getting stuck at? More information the better.

I was using true blue's method over at xda because it seemed the easiest and most legit... well whenever i boot into whatever mode by holding camera, vol down, and power all at the same time I can't get it to install zip or select any of the options... its blue of course cause it is still stock

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
crazyload03