Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112
Like Tree1Likes

ROM
    CM10 nightlies

does anyone have any tips for how to do this on linux? i've tried two different PCs and my linux laptop is the only one to not tell me "Phone is not connected..." but when it starts adb it tells me to restart it and i can't figure out how.

i'm fairly new at the whole linux thing, but i'm trying to learn. i'm using the terminal to run the "run.sh" if that helps or anything
    GTB

Global Posts
    14 Global Posts
    ROM
    NA...Yet

Question "Upgrading"

I accidently rooted my Samsung Epic 4G from Froyo 2.2.1 EC05 to ClckworkMod Recovery v2.5.1.0. How can I change the above to ClockworkMod Recovery v3.0.0.6 and convert the RFS filesystem to EXT4?

Thanks in advance.

ps: I'm a newbie with Android phones...the more detail, if possible, the better.

Quote Originally Posted by MrEpic View Post
    I accidently rooted my Samsung Epic 4G from Froyo 2.2.1 EC05 to ClckworkMod Recovery v2.5.1.0. How can I change the above to ClockworkMod Recovery v3.0.0.6 and convert the RFS filesystem to EXT4?

Thanks in advance.

ps: I'm a newbie with Android phones...the more detail, if possible, the better.
    Just run the OneClickRoot for EXT4 (procedure #2) post #2 in this thread.
    Paul
    Moderator Team Leader @ Android Central

Thanked by:
    GTB 

Default Updating to EXT4

Thanks for the info. I did have to turn off Antivirus and unmount my SD card to get the one-click to work. I mention this in case anyone else has this problem

Default Root Help.

Can someone help..It seems i followed all the necessary steps but still cant root.

"If the command prompt asks you to restart adb, you need to go into Windows Task Manager (ctrl-alt-del on your keyboard) and end adb in the process tab, then go into the folder from Step 2 and double-click on the "adb" file to restart adb."

I did that and then ran adb.exe but it opened up for a half a second and closed.

I would double check to make sure you drivers are installed correctly, debugging turned on with your device and possibly redownload the OCR package and try again.

Edit: Make sure antivirus is disabled on your computer during the rooting process...
    Paul

yes..everything seems to be in order

ok so i finally got it to root. then i did the nandroid backup and it backed up and restored...then i rebooted but it never went past the SAMSUNG screen. i went back into the recovery mode and selected restore but still...rebooted and still wont go past the samsung screen

Can anyone help?

Quote Originally Posted by Ncruze View Post
    ok so i finally got it to root. then i did the nandroid backup and it backed up and restored...then i rebooted but it never went past the SAMSUNG screen. i went back into the recovery mode and selected restore but still...rebooted and still wont go past the samsung screen

Can anyone help?
    Which method of root did you perform? Regular RFS CWM2.5.1.0 or EXT4 conversion?
    Paul

i used the once click with cwm 3.0.0.6 ext4 ftw. Stock stock odexed ec05 doesnt boot ext4

Quote Originally Posted by Ncruze View Post
    i used the once click with cwm 3.0.0.6 ext4 ftw. Stock stock odexed ec05 doesnt boot ext4

2. Download an EC05 ROM that supports EXT4 (e.g. Bonzai 4.0, Syndicate 1.1, etc.) and place it on the root (not in a folder) of your SD card.

8. Now before you reboot, you need to flash the ROM from Step 2. Go to: install zip from sdcard>choose zip from sdcard>(navigate to the ROM .zip file on your SD card)>(select it using the camera button)>yes. The ROM will now be flashed. Once the flashing is complete, you can now reboot and enjoy your new EXT4 filesystem Note: if you have problems booting up, you may need to repeat this step and flash your ROM a second time.
    Above shows your problem.
    Paul

Got i!!! Yess!!!

Default Re: [Root] Samsung Epic 4G Official Froyo EC05 w/Optional EXT4

Quote Originally Posted by ragnarokx View Post
    Standard Disclaimer: as with any Android modification, proceed at your own risk.

There are two procedures listed below: Procedure 1 will root your phone and install ClockworkMod Recovery v2.5.1.0, leaving your filesystem in its stock RFS state; alternatively, Procedure 2 will install ClockworkMod Recovery v3.0.0.6 and convert your RFS filesystem to EXT4, allowing you to flash the latest ROMs and kernels.

It is recommended that you backup anything on your phone that you need before proceeding.

What is a filesystem?
    A filesystem is a method of storing and organizing files and their data. Basically, a filesystem organizes your files into a database for the storage, organization, manipulation, and retrieval by the Android operating system.

What's the difference between RFS and EXT4?
    RFS is Samsung's proprietary filesystem, which has a pretty poorly written driver and is overall not very efficient. EXT4 is the filesystem used by Linux, and is more efficient than RFS. EXT4's efficiency over RFS gives a noticeable boost in operating system responsiveness/performance (the nimble Nexus S uses EXT4).

What are the pros and cons of converting to EXT4?
    Pros: increased OS speed/responsiveness, ability to install newer ROMs that require EXT4. Cons: once you convert to EXT4, if you want to flash a ROM that does not support EXT4 you must use Odin or flash a special zip in Clockwork to return to RFS (see last question before the procedure for more info).

What does this procedure do to my phone exactly?
    It will permanently root your phone (if not already rooted; also safe for rooted phones), as well as install Clockwork v3.0.0.6, which will format "/cache", "/data" and "/system" from RFS to EXT4. Having an EXT4 filesystem will enable you to install ROMs with EXT4 support, and having Clockwork v3.0.0.5 will enable you to flash ROMs, kernels, themes, etc. that use Edify scripts.

What's an Edify script?
    There are currently two ways to create flashable zip scripts. The first one is "update-script", also known as Amend. Amend was the first version of the scripting language created by Google, and was used in Android 1.0 and Cupcake (1.5). However, Amend has two serious design flaws: function arguments can not span more than 1 word, and the scripting language is compiled into the recovery causing image bloat and inflexibility. Because of this reason Google removed Amend support in Donut and beyond, and instead switched to update-binary and updater-script, which is also known as Edify.

However, Amend support was left in Clockwork, to help ease the transition off its usage in ROM creation. Clockwork needed to transition to using the newer Edify scripts to be compatible with Gingerbread. So we now have a recovery that is Gingerbread ready and uses the better Edify scripts instead of Amend scripts.

What do I need to get started?
    A Windows computer (this is also possible on OSX and Linux, however there will be procedural differences not covered here), a USB cable, and an Epic 4G with official Froyo EB13 installed (does not matter if you're already rooted or have a custom ROM).

Is there any way to go back to my original setup after I do this?
    Yes, you can use Odin to return to a completely stock state - see this thread.
    My Epic won't reboot. Its stuck on the Samsung splash screen...any suggestions?
  14. Thread Author  Thread Author    #289  

If you did the EXT4 conversion: flash a ROM then try and boot. If you already flashed a ROM, flash it one more time.

heres my ordeal:::

modem eco5
    firmwareware 2.3.6
    hardware d700..0.5
    I am on random rom el30

Trying to go to bonsai and going thru this onestep to no avail

odin recognises me, etc-can someone help? Never had a problem like this-thanx guys!!!

I just installed EC05 and want to root. It says 404 when I click on the 'one-click-exploit' link. Does anyone know where to get it?

I will try and get it uploaded this morning

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Android Central Forums

Quote Originally Posted by tahx View Post
    I just installed EC05 and want to root. It says 404 when I click on the 'one-click-exploit' link. Does anyone know where to get it?

One Click Root v2.5.5
    Paul

I'm hoping someone is still looking at this thread. I completed all of the steps in the instructions and attempted to boot into CWM mode and now all I get is the samsung screen. No vib, no blue light... it just sits there on the samsung screen. I've tried every button combination I can think of and nothing happens. I think i may have created a paper weight. Can anyone help?
Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112