[Root] Samsung Epic 4G Official Froyo EC05 w/Optional EXT4

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
I used this method everything appeared to go fine it converted to cwm3 with orange writing, after it was done prior to loading a new rom it asked to reboot i did now its stuck on the samsung screen even after battery pulls?

edit: appears to be working now, booted into cwm and running a backup :)
Once the conversion is complete, the backup/restore that it is doing you can flash your ROM.

ratchetjaw#AC

Oct 27, 2009
Visit site
This may be a dumb question but can i not run my previous factory state with this new ext4? Seems after i reboot it just hangs on the samsung and i am thinking its cause i dont have a rom picked and i can no longer use the ota rooted one i had prior to converting to ext 4?

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
okay thank you but i have to use a new ext 4 version correct? is that why its hanging on the samsung screen cause i didnt load one of those roms up?

1. You didn't complete the conversion by booting into CWM, which you have now figured out and done.

2. You need to flash a EXT4 based ROM. If your on EB13 and going to flash a EC05 based ROM you will need to flash the EC05 modem in Odin before flashing the ROM.

ratchetjaw#AC

Oct 27, 2009
Visit site
1. You didn't complete the conversion by booting into CWM, which you have now figured out and done.

2. You need to flash a EXT4 based ROM. If your on EB13 and going to flash a EC05 based ROM you will need to flash the EC05 modem in Odin before flashing the ROM.

Thanks for all the help Paul, just got the syndicate rom loaded up I am on the Ec05. Its booting up now :)

ratchetjaw#AC

Oct 27, 2009
Visit site
this syndicate rom is force closing everything...and no wifi. Will try and reload it if not on to anther rom

edit: thanks to Paul the Syndicate is up and running smooth so far. Restoring app settings with mybackup root now. Thanks again Paul :)

Last edited:

RADIO#AC

Jan 22, 2011
Visit site
Everytime i try to flash a rom it tells me to apply update from.zip file on sd card but when i ty it fails. "no such file or directory" "E:Error in sdcard/update.zip (status 7) Installation aborted. when i flash the rom it says it installs though but if i reboot it brings me right back to the clockworkmod screen. help anybody?

kalei haia

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
I have a Samsung epic and just recently did the froyo update. I rooted my phone per your instructions and it works great but I need to unroot the phone because I have no clue whats wrong with it so I was gonna take it into sprint. How do I go about unrooting the phone? could you please point me in the right direction because I cant find the info..

Btw have you ever heard of the phones screen turning blueish before? also to answer calls I need to use the speaker phone just to hear the call. Is this something I could fix on my own by following a tutorial on this site?

Sorry for the questions, any and all help with these issues would be greatly appreciated.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
I have a Samsung epic and just recently did the froyo update. I rooted my phone per your instructions and it works great but I need to unroot the phone because I have no clue whats wrong with it so I was gonna take it into sprint. How do I go about unrooting the phone? could you please point me in the right direction because I cant find the info..

Btw have you ever heard of the phones screen turning blueish before? also to answer calls I need to use the speaker phone just to hear the call. Is this something I could fix on my own by following a tutorial on this site?

Sorry for the questions, any and all help with these issues would be greatly appreciated.
Procedure #1 will give you Froyo EB13 and Procedure #2 will give you Eclair 2.1 (DI18)

[How to] Factory Restore (or Fix a Bricked Phone)

Then after you complete one of the two above procedures I would then upgrade to EC05 again either by the OTA update or use the manual "update.zip" method found in the post below. This way your phone will appear as it should, updated to EC05 when you bring it in but in complete stock form with no sign of previous rooting.

Sprint Samsung Epic 4g Official Froyo EC05 [update.zip method/Custom Odin Packages]

Reactions: kalei haia

rocknasta

Mar 20, 2010
Visit site
I upgraded to EC05 stock and then rooted with the stock RFS method. I would like to root with EXT4, but I'm a little confused. From reading through all the posts I think I need to odin back to eb13 or can I just flash it with clockwork and then follow the steps to root with EXT4. I just need to be pointed in the right direction. Thanks for the help. ^^;

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
I upgraded to EC05 stock and then rooted with the stock RFS method. I would like to root with EXT4, but I'm a little confused. From reading through all the posts I think I need to odin back to eb13 or can I just flash it with clockwork and then follow the steps to root with EXT4. I just need to be pointed in the right direction. Thanks for the help. ^^;

The method I have been using is as follows

- Froyo EC05 stock rooted with CWM 2.5.1.0. (Doesn't matter if you did all this manually to achieve root or used the Odin prerooted package we offer)

- Download your EC05 based ROM of choice and place on SD card

- Go here and download the OneClickRootCWM3-EB13.zip. Then extract the contents to a location/folder on your computer.

4. On your phone, push MENU, then select Applications > Development, then enable USB debugging and connect your phone to your computer via USB.
5247348177_81f69fe529.jpg

5. Now double click "run.bat" in the folder from Step 2.

The type of USB cord and the specific USB computer port can make or break the success of this installation. If you are getting errors in the command prompt during this step, trying swapping USB cables and/or switching USB ports (even the USB cord that came with the phone can cause problems!).

5326073720_bffb40368d_z.jpg

If the command prompt asks you to restart adb, you need to go into Windows Task Manager (ctrl-alt-del on your keyboard) and end adb in the process tab, then go into the folder from Step 2 and double-click on the "adb" file to restart adb.

If the command prompt says "device not connected", disconnect the phone and reboot it, turn debugging mode back on, reconnect the phone via USB, and rerun the "run.bat" file again. If you're still getting "device not connected", try repeating these steps one at a time or in a different order, for example just kill adb and rerun "run.bat" or only reboot the phone and then rerun "run.bat".

Antivirus programs can also cause problems. If you still can't get the run.bat file to work, try disabling your antivirus software.

If all goes well your command prompt should look something like this:

5325466259_8ac1e8f118_z.jpg

5325466439_a51dab0675_z.jpg

6. Pull the battery on your phone and replace then press and hold (volume down+camera+power) or use the soft reset (volume up+camera+power) then quickly switch to (volume down+camera+power), until you see the Clockwork screen that has orange text. Clockwork v3.0.0.6 will now automatically convert your filesystem from RFS to EXT4. This may take a while. Once Clockwork is finished DO NOT reboot. First proceed to Step 7 below.

7. Now before you reboot, you need to flash the EC05 based ROM you downloaded and placed on your sdcard before you started all this. Once the flashing is complete, you can now reboot and enjoy your new EXT4 filesystem :D

This is what I have done and it seems to work so far. Any troubles please post here.

Reactions: mikejwatkins

rocknasta

Mar 20, 2010
Visit site
Thanks paul627g. I will be trying this as soon as I get home. Doesn't sound difficult at all. I'm happy it doesn't. Will update soon how things turn out. :)

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
No problem... Theres more writing/reading than there really is work so it seems intimidating to some...

Shadnic

Apr 5, 2010
Visit site
EXT4 and ECO5

I recently rooted my epic and I wanted to upgrade to EXT4 and enjoy all its wonderful benefits (not the mention roms that take advantage of it). Since I have 2.2 ECO5, it seems that I must first downgrade to EB13 in order to do this. The guides I'm finding on how to do that say that I must first be on stock eclair, and the only way I know how to do this is just to wipe my phone back to factory settings, THEN install EB13, then EXT4, THEN some rom with EC05, and then finally restore all my apps and settings..

This seems rather convoluted, but I'm willing to do it (also suggestions for shortcuts much appreciated), but is there a strong possibility that we will soon be able to upgrade to EXT4 while on EC05? I mean I don't want to wait forever, but if it's right around the corner...

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
I recently rooted my epic and I wanted to upgrade to EXT4 and enjoy all its wonderful benefits (not the mention roms that take advantage of it). Since I have 2.2 ECO5, it seems that I must first downgrade to EB13 in order to do this. The guides I'm finding on how to do that say that I must first be on stock eclair, and the only way I know how to do this is just to wipe my phone back to factory settings, THEN install EB13, then EXT4, THEN some rom with EC05, and then finally restore all my apps and settings..

This seems rather convoluted, but I'm willing to do it (also suggestions for shortcuts much appreciated), but is there a strong possibility that we will soon be able to upgrade to EXT4 while on EC05? I mean I don't want to wait forever, but if it's right around the corner...

The method I have been using is as follows

- Froyo EC05 stock rooted with CWM 2.5.1.0. (Doesn't matter if you did all this manually to achieve root or used the Odin prerooted package we offer)

- Download your EC05 based ROM of choice and place on SD card

- Go here and download the OneClickRootCWM3-EB13.zip. Then extract the contents to a location/folder on your computer.

4. On your phone, push MENU, then select Applications > Development, then enable USB debugging and connect your phone to your computer via USB.
5247348177_81f69fe529.jpg

5. Now double click "run.bat" in the folder from Step 2.

The type of USB cord and the specific USB computer port can make or break the success of this installation. If you are getting errors in the command prompt during this step, trying swapping USB cables and/or switching USB ports (even the USB cord that came with the phone can cause problems!).

5326073720_bffb40368d_z.jpg

If the command prompt asks you to restart adb, you need to go into Windows Task Manager (ctrl-alt-del on your keyboard) and end adb in the process tab, then go into the folder from Step 2 and double-click on the "adb" file to restart adb.

If the command prompt says "device not connected", disconnect the phone and reboot it, turn debugging mode back on, reconnect the phone via USB, and rerun the "run.bat" file again. If you're still getting "device not connected", try repeating these steps one at a time or in a different order, for example just kill adb and rerun "run.bat" or only reboot the phone and then rerun "run.bat".

Antivirus programs can also cause problems. If you still can't get the run.bat file to work, try disabling your antivirus software.

If all goes well your command prompt should look something like this:

5325466259_8ac1e8f118_z.jpg

5325466439_a51dab0675_z.jpg

6. Pull the battery on your phone and replace then press and hold (volume down+camera+power) or use the soft reset (volume up+camera+power) then quickly switch to (volume down+camera+power), until you see the Clockwork screen that has orange text. Clockwork v3.0.0.6 will now automatically convert your filesystem from RFS to EXT4. This may take a while. Once Clockwork is finished DO NOT reboot. First proceed to Step 7 below.

7. Now before you reboot, you need to flash the EC05 based ROM you downloaded and placed on your sdcard before you started all this. Once the flashing is complete, you can now reboot and enjoy your new EXT4 filesystem :D

This is what I have done and it seems to work so far. Any troubles please post here.

Shadnic

Apr 5, 2010
Visit site
Thank you very much for the guide Paul, that all makes perfect sense :)

That said...something has gone horribly wrong and oh god help me. I installed EXT4 and am pretty sure that all happened smoothly and without problem. When I went to flash my rom however, I realized that in my frenzy of downloading and transferring files, I had extracted the zip to my sd card instead of just transferring it. I thought "oh well, I'll just mount my phone and drag it over" but trying to mount through clockwork kept giving me errors. So then I attempted to just boot the phone, so I could just mount it the old fashioned way, but it wouldn't get past the samsung screen.

I then pulled the battery and did a factory wipe. Still won't load past the samsung screen. Then I used restore to get all my data back...still nothing. I did a factory wipe again and still nothing. What happened to my phone?? ;_;

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Thank you very much for the guide Paul, that all makes perfect sense :)

That said...something has gone horribly wrong and oh god help me. I installed EXT4 and am pretty sure that all happened smoothly and without problem. When I went to flash my rom however, I realized that in my frenzy of downloading and transferring files, I had extracted the zip to my sd card instead of just transferring it. I thought "oh well, I'll just mount my phone and drag it over" but trying to mount through clockwork kept giving me errors. So then I attempted to just boot the phone, so I could just mount it the old fashioned way, but it wouldn't get past the samsung screen.

I then pulled the battery and did a factory wipe. Still won't load past the samsung screen. Then I used restore to get all my data back...still nothing. I did a factory wipe again and still nothing. What happened to my phone?? ;_;

Since you did the conversion process the only thing that is going to allow you to boot at this point is by flashing a EC05 based ROM like Bonsai/midNIGHT/Syndicate.

If you have access to a computer/laptop that has a built in sdcard reader you can pull your sdcard out of your phone and load the ROM onto it that way.

Otherwise you will have to Odin back to EB13 or Eclair if using your phone is the only way to load things via sdcard/cable.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m1000