[Root] Samsung Epic 4G Official Froyo EC05 w/Optional EXT4

Shadnic

Apr 5, 2010
Visit site
Since you did the conversion process the only thing that is going to allow you to boot at this point is by flashing a EC05 based ROM like Bonsai/midNIGHT/Syndicate.

If you have access to a computer/laptop that has a built in sdcard reader you can pull your sdcard out of your phone and load the ROM onto it that way.

Otherwise you will have to Odin back to EB13 or Eclair if using your phone is the only way to load things via sdcard/cable.

Thanks! I realized this morning after posting this that I could just take the sd card out of my phone and put it directly into my computer. Once I did that, everything worked! :)

dandrumma

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
The method I have been using is as follows

- Froyo EC05 stock rooted with CWM 2.5.1.0. (Doesn't matter if you did all this manually to achieve root or used the Odin prerooted package we offer)

- Download your EC05 based ROM of choice and place on SD card

- Go here and download the OneClickRootCWM3-EB13.zip. Then extract the contents to a location/folder on your computer.

4. On your phone, push MENU, then select Applications > Development, then enable USB debugging and connect your phone to your computer via USB.
5247348177_81f69fe529.jpg

5. Now double click "run.bat" in the folder from Step 2.

The type of USB cord and the specific USB computer port can make or break the success of this installation. If you are getting errors in the command prompt during this step, trying swapping USB cables and/or switching USB ports (even the USB cord that came with the phone can cause problems!).

5326073720_bffb40368d_z.jpg

If the command prompt asks you to restart adb, you need to go into Windows Task Manager (ctrl-alt-del on your keyboard) and end adb in the process tab, then go into the folder from Step 2 and double-click on the "adb" file to restart adb.

If the command prompt says "device not connected", disconnect the phone and reboot it, turn debugging mode back on, reconnect the phone via USB, and rerun the "run.bat" file again. If you're still getting "device not connected", try repeating these steps one at a time or in a different order, for example just kill adb and rerun "run.bat" or only reboot the phone and then rerun "run.bat".

Antivirus programs can also cause problems. If you still can't get the run.bat file to work, try disabling your antivirus software.

If all goes well your command prompt should look something like this:

5325466259_8ac1e8f118_z.jpg

5325466439_a51dab0675_z.jpg

6. Pull the battery on your phone and replace then press and hold (volume down+camera+power) or use the soft reset (volume up+camera+power) then quickly switch to (volume down+camera+power), until you see the Clockwork screen that has orange text. Clockwork v3.0.0.6 will now automatically convert your filesystem from RFS to EXT4. This may take a while. Once Clockwork is finished DO NOT reboot. First proceed to Step 7 below.

7. Now before you reboot, you need to flash the EC05 based ROM you downloaded and placed on your sdcard before you started all this. Once the flashing is complete, you can now reboot and enjoy your new EXT4 filesystem :D

This is what I have done and it seems to work so far. Any troubles please post here.

Thanks for this Paul. I'm tempted to do this. I should wipe my phone before converting to ext4, correct?

thanks in advance,
Dan

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for this Paul. I'm tempted to do this. I should wipe my phone before converting to ext4, correct?

thanks in advance,
Dan

That isn't really going to matter before the conversion... After the conversion is complete and you have gone back into CWM 3.0.0.6 and its fully completed with the conversion then yes, wipe 3x on everything and then flash your ROM.

Reactions: dandrumma

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
I got everything up and running. Currently trying out the Bonsai Rom. So far everything seems to be working nicely. :)
Thanks again!

Did the instructions I provided work for you? Step by step? Just wondering so we can verify this for others to use.

buzzardjrt

I have read and read and read and am still at my wits end. i have followed every instruction possible i could find on here and am still having trouble. i have uninstalled drivers, roms, what ever then reinstalled them all over again just in hopes of this working. i even went and purchased the best cable i could find that said "data transfers" on the box.

my computer finds my phone fine when i am not in debug mode. but as soon as i turn it on its not recognizing the phone, it just says to insert a drive :G (what my computer recognizes as my phone). it sees, sorta, the phone is there but no drive in it. because of this is why i am assuming when i run run.bat it says phone is not connected, over and over again.

i am trying to run the EXT4 system not the RFS. i have stock EC05 on my phone now.

i have anti virus off, firewall off.

i know i am overlooking something simple, as this is usually the case. i am running Windows XP if it matters but have a laptop running Ubuntu if i can do it from there easier.

any ideas would be appreciated.

for the record i have tried this in every from i know how at least 50 times.

Last edited:

Tahe

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
Hi Paul, due to the issues I experience last night (described in another thread) and reading the posts from this thread including the one below, may I ask for further clarification on two details below?

First, how do you know when the conversion is complete and or "fully" complete? Last night everything "appeared" to be fine when I booted into CWM after running the run.bat file.

I turned the phone off and booted in CWM, (I wiped factory 3xs and Cache once) flashed midNight, and thought everything was going fine until it got stuck in the vibration boot loop.

So, second question - can you state specifically what all needs to be wiped? (i.e. what exactly do you mean by 'everything', if I may?

Thanks for all of your help thus far.

That isn't really going to matter before the conversion... After the conversion is complete and you have gone back into CWM 3.0.0.6 and its fully completed with the conversion then yes, wipe 3x on everything and then flash your ROM.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Hi Paul, due to the issues I experience last night (described in another thread) and reading the posts from this thread including the one below, may I ask for further clarification on two details below?

First, how do you know when the conversion is complete and or "fully" complete? Last night everything "appeared" to be fine when I booted into CWM after running the run.bat file.

I turned the phone off and booted in CWM, (I wiped factory 3xs and Cache once) flashed midNight, and thought everything was going fine until it got stuck in the vibration boot loop.

So, second question - can you state specifically what all needs to be wiped? (i.e. what exactly do you mean by 'everything', if I may?

Thanks for all of your help thus far.

After you run the "run.bat" file and the installation completes, you need to shutdown your device then boot right into CWM 3.0.0.6. You will see the first time around it doesn't go right to the CWM menu, it continues to finish the RFS to EXT4 conversion by backing up your files, converting them and then restoring them. This takes around 5-7 minutes to complete. Once that is done it will bring you to CWM and then you can wipe and flash.

The wipe procedure is as follows....

7. In the main screen of Clockwork, go to Wipe data/factory reset>Yes and repeat for a total of 3 times. Do the same for Wipe cache partition>Yes, as well as Advanced>Wipe Dalvik Cache>Yes.

Once that is completed you can then flash your ROM and reboot the system.

Last note if your coming from EB13 you will need to flash the EC05 modem as stated in the EXT4 conversion instructions. This will hang you up at the Sammy screen if not done when trying to flash a EC05 ROM.

Reactions: Tahe

kalei haia

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
Procedure #1 will give you Froyo EB13 and Procedure #2 will give you Eclair 2.1 (DI18)

[How to] Factory Restore (or Fix a Bricked Phone)

Then after you complete one of the two above procedures I would then upgrade to EC05 again either by the OTA update or use the manual "update.zip" method found in the post below. This way your phone will appear as it should, updated to EC05 when you bring it in but in complete stock form with no sign of previous rooting.

Sprint Samsung Epic 4g Official Froyo EC05 [update.zip method/Custom Odin Packages]

Thank you so much!

rocknasta

Mar 20, 2010
Visit site
Did the instructions I provided work for you? Step by step? Just wondering so we can verify this for others to use.

Yep the instructions worked great.I did have to change the order of things a little. I had to stop and restart adb, close the "run.bat" then disconnect and reconnect the usb from the phone.Next I restarted the "run.bat" file. (I think that was the order) Everything went as described after that. :)

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Yep the instructions worked great.I did have to change the order of things a little. I had to stop and restart adb, close the "run.bat" then disconnect and reconnect the usb from the phone.Next I restarted the "run.bat" file. (I think that was the order) Everything went as described after that. :)

Good, that just sounds like general rooting issues, no big deal.. sometimes adb throws you a hickup....

Sent from my Epic 4g

kalei haia

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
Thank you very much paul for all ur help! Sprint told me that a # of epics had issues with the upgrade, got the phone back and sprints repair center said that all they did was reboot the phone.. and now it works fine again, phones faster now actually? Then I noticed that the phone is *new* only thing thats still my old phone is the rear cover.. Has any one else run into this prob before with the blue screen and features not working?, wondering if this happened as a weird side affect because I rooted the phone?

ALT0holic

Apr 3, 2011
Visit site
Did anyone have to wait a really long time for the ACM to install? All the other drivers have installed aside from it. It still says it's installing.

Tullstone

Apr 3, 2011
Visit site
Bit of help, my phone is currently staying on the samsung screen.. how long is it supposed to stay like this? its been about 5 mins or so.

Edit:

It continued to stay on the samsung screen even longer, wouldn't go to Clockwork, or shut off. I pulled battery. Still stuck at Samsung.

Ugh, this is the first day ive had the phone too.

Last edited:

howufiga

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
I just followed procedure 2 to the T and tried to install Bonsai. I just get the samsung screen followed by black screens and reboots. I tried to reinstall Bonsai and am getting "assert failed". I tried wiping it again 3 times and no luck. Can i restore from the backup that was created?

ALT0holic

Apr 3, 2011
Visit site
I think I am pretty much having the same issue as howufiga. I followed procedure 2 as well, except I installed Syndicate. Everything said it was successful, however, when my Epic rebooted, I got the words, "Android" flashing in the middle of my loading screen.

Once I got to the homescreen, the radio signal would not show up, and the phone was periodically vibrating. None of my buttons would work, and I was getting various "force shut down" messages. The times I could get the phone to turn off, as soon as it shut down, it would reboot itself, following the same cycle.

I tried to use ClockWork to restore to my "before ext4" backup, which it did, but once it got to the homescreen, none of my buttons worked, and I pretty much had the same issue.

Does anyone have any idea what may have gone wrong and how to fix this/restore my device?

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
I think I am pretty much having the same issue as howufiga. I followed procedure 2 as well, except I installed Syndicate. Everything said it was successful, however, when my Epic rebooted, I got the words, "Android" flashing in the middle of my loading screen.

Once I got to the homescreen, the radio signal would not show up, and the phone was periodically vibrating. None of my buttons would work, and I was getting various "force shut down" messages. The times I could get the phone to turn off, as soon as it shut down, it would reboot itself, following the same cycle.

I tried to use ClockWork to restore to my "before ext4" backup, which it did, but once it got to the homescreen, none of my buttons worked, and I pretty much had the same issue.

Does anyone have any idea what may have gone wrong and how to fix this/restore my device?

The stuck at Samsung screen could be a few different things...

1.) You didn't flash the EC05 modem if your coming from EB13

2.) You didn't complete the process by flashing a EC05 based ROM once done with the full EXT4 conversion before leaving CWM.

3.) Just a bad flash for whatever reason and you need to do a full wipe and flash again.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech