[ACS][GPL] Vision Kernel 1.2

makeotapackage-j4

Jan 22, 2011
Visit site
So glad to see another Epic kernel dev (besides Rodderik) implementing support for Voltage Control. I hope to see all our kernel developers move in this direction, as Voltage Control is such a well written utility which gives us the power to optimize our own UV settings manually,and in turn, these limit-pushing kernels can have broad compatibility across most of the community...with the right "tweakage" of course ;) SetCPU and it's dev are cool and everything, however this application was making kernel stability quite challenging for many I believe.
Thanks thomasskull for another great kernel update. The Vision Kernel is definitely a top notch release that has a distinguished level of performance.
And thank you ShabbyPenguin for coming to our forums and posting the update. Many of us here appreciate the ACS team's presence on the threads to answer questions for all of us.

Ok I'm thirsty,so I'm gonna go pour some Diet Coke, so bye ;:cool:

makeotapackage-j4

Jan 22, 2011
Visit site
Posted by thebullfrog;
hmm I finally got my phone to lock. It took having it locked at 1.45 with a -200 undervolt, and playing the game Cordy (which shreds my phone for some reason) for several minutes. It took a lot to finally hit my phone's limit, and thats assuming it wasnt just the app itself causing the freeze. I'm gonna try again with the lower clock speeds enabled and see how it does, I may wind up having to give it a bit of voltage back though.

UPDATE: Okay, now that it locked once it wants to KEEP locking up every time I start to play with undervolting. I think I made it mad lol. I'm sure I could sit here and pinpoint exactly where my limit is a given voltage but I don't have the paitience ATM. I'll just leave SetCPU to do it's thing for the time being and not mess with the voltages yet.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
A standard undervolt is -25 mv, so don't go back to SetCPU. I've been using VC on the newest Genocide EB05 with VC support for a few weeks and it's made my phone so stable. I have measurable battery savings now, so I can actually can tell that my phone is UV'ed. SetCPU is not anywhere near the level of VC. Try doing ~200:-75 ~400:-75 ~600:NO UV
~800:-50 ~1000:-25, ~1120:-25 AT MOST ~1200:-25 AT MOST// ANYTHING ABOVE 1200, DO NOT UV! It will freeze, you can guarantee it. You MAY be able to get away with -25 on 1300 and 1400 but no higher. It MAY take awhile to freeze, but eventually it will if you UV too much.
Check out this thread for some better directions on using Voltage Control bro:
[KERNEL][GPL]Genocide EC05 Kernel v1.0|1.4GhzOC|Conf your own UV|VoodooMods 3/31/2011 - xda-developers

Last edited:

thebullfrog

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, like I said I do plan on trying to get things dialed in with voltage control, just not up to it right at the moment. I just wish Voltage Control supported multiple profiles as I've found I can extend my batt life quite a bit while maintaining performance with the profiles, being able to easily temps right there on the widget is something I quickly missed as well. I like knowing exactly what is going on with the CPU when it's being pushed this hard.

Edit: I'm doing a Nandroid restore right now then re-flashing the kernel- I seem to have bought myself a bit of data corruption lol. Then I'm going to spend some time with VC. Start with the low clock speeds and work my way up. I love how my phone actually gets better every day. Android developers FTW.

Last edited:

skyward

Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
I'm running vision 1.2 @ 400/1400 on demand. When I tried vision 1.1 @ 1400, it locked up after a few seconds. So far so good, 1400 is really fast!

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk

thebullfrog

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
i think Thomas failed to change the build number, as it also says that it's twilight not Vision, but yes that is correct don't worry about it.

Also, I used a more realistic UV and its been going strong for over an hour now. -75mv at 200 and 400, -50mv at 600, 800, and 1ghz, then -25mv at 1200 and 1450. Seems to like that a lot better. If it does decide to lock up I'll up it a bit, but it's running like a champ right now.

kevincwelch

Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
So, going on some of the advice of bullfrog and crackberry, I tested SetCPU and Voltage Control.

I've attached a table of my Quadrant scores for various settings.

Of note, I got a score of 1697 using Crackberry's suggested settings, and that was with SetCPU with on demand scaling 100/1400. It crashed moments later. Perhaps that was because SetCPU was running. After removing SetCPU, I was able to play a few games (Asphalt, TurboFly) without any problems. Quadrant score 1615.

thebullfrog

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
Not that benchmarks (and especially quadrant) mean much of anything, but I find it strange you only hit 1600 ish at 1.4. I was hitting almost 2000 at 1.4. I consistently get 2100's at 1.45 and break 2200 every time if I set it to ONLY run at 1.45 (actually the score is always within like 5 pts, I've never seen quadrant that consistent before).
In actual use 1.45 doesn't actually seem much faster than 1.2 does. The benchmark loves it, but in the real world all it does is use up more battery and beat on the CPU a bit harder with little tangible gain. Don't get me wrong, it IS a hair more quick and responsive, but if all you can run is 1.2 you really aren't missing anything significant. In fact I generally only run 1ghz on a daily basis for battery life.

Edit: I just noticed that was using NOOP scaling which explains the disparity, your BFQ numbers are in line with mine.

After a couple more hours my undervolt settings are still holding in strong, I may experiment with getting a bit more aggressive with it again (though maybe not -200 again lol). If I can get some decent batt life out of the UV and run it stable I may just leave it at 1.4. On a daily basis I won't push it to 1.45, just fun knowing that I can.

Last edited:

kevincwelch

Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
Don't get me wrong, it IS a hair more quick and responsive, but if all you can run is 1.2 you really aren't missing anything significant. In fact I generally only run 1ghz on a daily basis for battery life.

Are you using VC to set the max frequency, or something else like Overclock widget?

Edit: I just noticed that was using NOOP scaling which explains the disparity, your BFQ numbers are in line with mine.

I've switched back to NOOP; there appears to be better performance all around. I just can't go without it crashing after a couple of hours. I wonder if it is the VC or Vision kernel. As soon as I flashed to vision, I started messing with the voltage. I guess I should have waited to see how stable Vision was going to be...

thebullfrog

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
I'm only using VC for controlling the clock. Chances are it's the voltage causing you to crash, or your CPU just cant take the OC in general. Run it at stock voltage for a while, if you stil crash, then dial it back to 1.3ghz. If you still crash go to 1.2. If it still wont hold up you may need to try a different kernel, but I would just eliminate one possibility at a time until you find your phone's sweet spot. I actually just had mine decide to reboot in the middle of a Quadrant run so I put my voltages for 1.45 back up to full and it seems to be fine now. It's tricky since it'll be fine for a long time and then suddenly get weird randomly. If it gives me any more trouble I may just have to dial it back to 1.4 where I KNOW it will run stable.

Last edited:

bdog421

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
That's my big complaint about using VC is the lack of speed and temp monitoring, is there a good monitor widget someone can recommend?

I love the setcpu widget for the temp and seeing my clock speed settings at a glance. I don't really have a need for setcpu any longer, but still love the widget. So all I did was take away superuser access from setcpu, but the widget is still working for my viewing pleasure.

Btw I'm using pimp my cpu and vc together, I'm only saving the boot setting in vc and not in pimp my cpu as it seems saving boot setting in both apps caused me to lose root when I powered off to switch batteries.

Edit; the setcpu widget was working without superuser permission, but has mysteriously stopped working....hmm?*?

Last edited:

scoob

Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
I love the setcpu widget for the temp and seeing my clock speed settings at a glance. I don't really have a need for setcpu any longer, but still love the widget. So all I did was take away superuser access from setcpu, but the widget is still working for my viewing pleasure.

Btw I'm using pimp my cpu and vc together, I'm only saving the boot setting in vc and not in pimp my cpu as it seems saving boot setting in both apps caused me to lose root when I powered off to switch batteries.

Edit; the setcpu widget was working without superuser permission, but has mysteriously stopped working....hmm?*?

I was just going to post the same thing about taking away Supreuser rights to SetCPU.
Dunno why yours stopped working though, did you try to reboot? Mine still seems to be doing ok.

BTW- I'm using very conservative UV settings (-75 at max at the lowest speeds) and limiting my CPU to 1300 for now to see what happens. I've had too many lockups over the weekend.

scoob

Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
I wouldn't call that conservative at all - some people lock up at just -25mV.

:) Got it, I though it was conservative compared to the -200 people were setting it at. The next step will be stock UV to see what happens after the next lock up...

thebullfrog

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
I've had a couple more lockups myself. Havent quite been able to pin down the culprit because itll be fine for hours no matter what I do and then BAM random lockup. I cant tell if it just doesnt like being at 1.45 for very long, or if its unhappy about a UV somewhere. It seems to take heavy UV at low clocks just fine, so its in the higher speeds somewhere. I'll get it pinned down today and dial it in. It may even just be a matter of which scheduling to use. Ive switched to NOOP to see if that clears it up.

kevincwelch

Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
Reverted

No matter what I did, my phone just didn't seem to like being undervolted. Even with SetCPU removed and just having certain frequencies set to -25 UV. I capped the frequency at 1450, 1400, 1200, 1000 and got similar problems. So, I reverted and then uninstalled Voltage Control.

Then my phone just was "sluggish" -- quadrant scores around 1200, down from 1800-2000 with just SRF/TL.

Either something got corrupted, or my phone didn't like Vision kernel. So, I wiped and went back to SRF 1.1/TL.

Maybe I'll give Vision another try or try Genocide without messing with the voltages again. Maybe I'll try ACE or MidnightROM.

So little time...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wei34