[ACS][GPL] Vision Kernel 1.2

thebullfrog

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
denying setcpu user permissions sorta works. the widget wont work, but i can still go int the app to monitor evrything, good enough for troubleshooting. Speaking of which I found my problem. Leaving it locked at 1.45 under heavy load for like 20-30 min is what freezes the phone. Gaming for instance. I can benchmark it or use it in short bursts but it isnt viable for regular use. No biggie. Seeing as actual real world performance is basically the same from 1.2 to 1.45 Im just going to cap it at 1.3 as a comprimise between performance, stability and batt life. I know it can run 1.4 all day but it uses up excess battery for essentially zero gain outside of benchmarks. Next I'm going to get the undervolting dialed in before I do Nandroid restore (again) to fix all the FCs Im getting from all this abuse lol.

kevincwelch

Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
It's not the ROM - your phone just probably doesn't like UV, or whichever max frequency you selected.

Oh, I'm sure it's not the ROM as well. Just something happened to my phone after I experimented with all those settings that forced me to reflash.

The comment about trying other ROMs was more of a reflection of my comfort level with experimenting with that sort of thing. Syndicate was so easy to install and worked so well that I have a lot more confidence in my ability to install these things and experiment. Syndicate really changed (in a positive way) how I felt about this phone and more importantly about Android in general. I'll probably end up in the end with SRF, but why not try things out along the way?

I should have two phones: play phone, business phone. ;)

thebullfrog

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
Well i think im dialed in now, but there was some weirdness that i'll come back to. I have all my UVs 2 steps higher than what I found i can run, for instance at 200 I can do -175 stable, but set it to -125 to be safe all the way up to -25 at 1300, so i can UV pretty well, but i like having a buffer to make sure I'm stable since its still plenty of undervolt.

Now i tried having setcpu with permissions denied, but after i rebooted it seemed to have given itself permission which was odd. Even more strange was that i couldnt run 400 mhz AT ALL. It would instalock even at full voltage, and it only happened at 400mhz, everything else was fine. If i removed VC it was fine, if I removed setcpu and ran only VC it was fine, but having both would bork the phone at 400mhz like clockwork. Something to keep in mind for anyone whos having issues, only use one of the two apps as it seems to conflict in potentially weird ways.

scoob

Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
Interesting about VC and SetCPU- unless SetCPU's instructions are conflicting with VC.

Anyway, I wish the two programers would get together and work on a VC/SetCPU app. I kinda like both.

Kite09

Jan 19, 2011
Visit site
For some reason the Vision Kernel 1.2 won't flash to my phone. I am running the most current version of Frozen 1.1.0 and I don't like Twilight. But, when I put it on my sd card and flash it in clockwork recovery mode it says it installs but when I check my phone status it still says I am running Twilight. I am running EC05 ext4 so I don't se why it isn't working. And if I try and install it from rom manager it goes into a black screen that looks like clockwork but isn't. Instead it has blue writing and won't do anything. I'm rather lost on what to do, so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
For some reason the Vision Kernel 1.2 won't flash to my phone. I am running the most current version of Frozen 1.1.0 and I don't like Twilight. But, when I put it on my sd card and flash it in clockwork recovery mode it says it installs but when I check my phone status it still says I am running Twilight. I am running EC05 ext4 so I don't se why it isn't working. And if I try and install it from rom manager it goes into a black screen that looks like clockwork but isn't. Instead it has blue writing and won't do anything. I'm rather lost on what to do, so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Don't use ROM Manager, first rule of thumb until further notice...

It could be that he didn't update the kernel to reflect the kernel name in the buildprop or (About Phone). Easiest way to find out is try and bump it up to 1.45 mhz... If it goes there then your fine. Its the only kernel out that goes past 1.4 mhz so either you have it or you don't.

_Bak_

Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
I have the Genocide kernal, which I love btw, and I want to try this out now. Is there a wipe involved if I already have a kernal in place?

bdog421

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
I was just going to post the same thing about taking away Supreuser rights to SetCPU.
Dunno why yours stopped working though, did you try to reboot? Mine still seems to be doing ok.

BTW- I'm using very conservative UV settings (-75 at max at the lowest speeds) and limiting my CPU to 1300 for now to see what happens. I've had too many lockups over the weekend.

Yeah I shouldn't have posted that so quick, as I was still testing vc and pimp my cpu. Later I went to using setcpu and voltage control together, this change was brought on by saving boot settings in pimp my cpu and voltage control. Powered down to swap batteries, rebooted and was greeted with no root...oops!! After that I started using setcpu and voltage control together @1.3ghz and am very happy with the performance. For the record tho, I didn't save boot settings in setcpu, just in voltage control....afraid of losing root again.:D

This kernel is splendifferous and has been the most stable of all the 1.3+ghz kernels for me. The thing now is to see if is stays stable for a few more days, as genocide 1.0, twilight 1.1 and vision 1.1 would all start freezing on me after 2-3 days tops at any clock speed. Im already at 2days and running really good at 1.3ghz.

Last edited:

scoob

Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
Agreed that this is a very stable kernel.

I havent had a lockup all week and just undervolted some more to a max of -50 to -100 to see what would happen.
Going running in a sec with GPS and BT on in a bit- figure that would be a good test of the new settings.

funktron2x

Tweakerer
May 4, 2011
Visit site
Thanks, ROM devs!

This appears to have fixed my issue with crashing on SRF 1.1.0 (phone screen goes black, no rewaking or power off or anything under Twilight Zone kernel).

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Thanks, ROM devs!

This appears to have fixed my issue with crashing on SRF 1.1.0 (phone screen goes black, no rewaking or power off or anything under Twilight Zone kernel).
If for some reason Vision kernel doesn't resolve the problems you can flash Twlight Zone v1.0.4

funktron2x

Tweakerer
May 4, 2011
Visit site
Ahh, yes. I am seeing that now. I didn't consider revving back on the Twilight Zone. If I run into any more issues, I'll go that route.

Thanks! Oh, and you and k0nane and all the others on this site and XDA make it dead simple to get into the ROM/hacking scene for Android. You guys absolutely rock. The resources available (wiki, posts detailing instructions, qbking77's videos, et al) are astounding!

funktron2x

Tweakerer
May 4, 2011
Visit site
Damn, no love!

The phone appears to only go blackfrozenscreen when screen is off. It has also happened twice when I am on the phone. I am talking, then when I go to hang up, screen never comes back.

Could this have something to do with the min cpu speed or setcpu?

I have no themes, and all I have f la shed are the vision kernel and a few stock apps... Damn frustrating!

Should I try the back version of twilight? Or does this sound like something unrelated?

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Damn, no love!

The phone appears to only go blackfrozenscreen when screen is off. It has also happened twice when I am on the phone. I am talking, then when I go to hang up, screen never comes back.

Could this have something to do with the min cpu speed or setcpu?

I have no themes, and all I have f la shed are the vision kernel and a few stock apps... Damn frustrating!

Should I try the back version of twilight? Or does this sound like something unrelated?

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk

Two options

1. Try the earlier version of Twilight Zone v1.0.4
2. Bump your bottom minimum setting from 100 Mhz to 200 Mhz and see if that helps. Some devices don't react well to 100 Mhz for a bottom number (my phone hates it... lags and locks up usually)

funktron2x

Tweakerer
May 4, 2011
Visit site
OK, trying to bump min CPU up first, see if it crashes again.

Aside: Does the stock EC05 do CPU scaling?

I will flash the earlier TZ kernel next if that doesn't fix the issue.

Thank you, Paul!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol