Shabbypenguin

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
The Android Creative Syndicate
VisionKernel v1.2
Designed for SyndicateROM Frozen 1.1.0

USERS ARE STRONGLY RECOMMENDED TO USE TWILIGHT KERNEL UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE

*Disclaimer*​
I nor any member of ACS is responsible for anything that happens to your phone when using this kernel. It has been tested on mine and a few others phones to be working, but I cannot guarantee that it will work on yours. All CPU's are different, and each one takes to overclocking in different ways. That being said, don't be surprised if your phone locks up at 1.4ghz or 1.45ghz. Just set the clock down to a lower speed and it won't do it anymore; all this means is that your phone can't handle it.

Also, 1.45ghz is set at 1.400v and 1.4ghz is set at 1.375v which is definitely above the recommended voltage for the phone. This doesn't mean it will burn up your processor as they are very robust when it comes to heat dissipation, but just keep in mind that you are pushing the processor past its designed limit.

Note from thomasskull666​

This is my first kernel release, although I have been compiling my own custom kernels since DI18. Took me a while to get the overclocking stable, a big thanks goes to tanimn and Rodderik for helping with getting 1.3ghz stable. Also, without tanimn none of this would really be possible. He has guided me through this process a lot, and I am especially thankful to him. You the man tanimn ;-)

1.45ghz is here, I cannot guarantee that it will work even at all on your phone. This is as high as I will go, no further.
  • Linpack: 19.84mflops
  • Quadrant: 2414

This is really designed primarily for benchmarking, with 1.4ghz being pretty much as far as our phone's processor will go. Some sample scores I've been getting in benchmark programs:
  • Linpack: 19.28mflops
  • Quadrant: 2245
  • an3dbenchII: 31278
  • Neocore: 65.5fps (framerate cap)

Changelog
*=Thanks!

v1.0
  • Overclocked to 1.3ghz and 1.4ghz @ 1.375v (steps are as follows)
  • 100mhz, 200mhz, 400mhz, 600mhz, 800mhz, 1.0ghz, 1.3ghz, 1.4ghz
  • Added 600mhz step for better transitions *tanimn
  • Voodoo Sound v6 *tanimn and supercurio
  • Voodoo Color (mDNIe tweaks) *supercurio
  • FPS cap raised to 65fps for the time being, hoping to get that number higher *Rodderik
  • Everything else that is contained in Twilight Zone, minus the addition of voodoo color and 1.4ghz.

v1.1
  • Revert the refresh rate (framerate cap) to 56fps. People having problems with video choppiness, this should fix your issue. This is only temporary; as soon as someone can figure out a proper way to raise the framerate cap I will re-implement it.
  • Update to Voodoo Sound driver v7

v1.2
  • Add 1.45ghz (It's not 100% stable, use at your own risk.)
  • Add 1.2ghz step
  • Added BFQ disk scheduler
  • Implemented interactive CPU governor (use at your own risk, needs tweaking)
  • Smartass governor (still a WIP)
  • Add TinyRCU courtesy of tanimn
  • lowmemorykiller atomic notifier fixes
  • UV RAM and LCD; 2.7v and 1.65v respectively
  • UV_mV sysfs controls as well as frequency_voltage_table for use with Voltage Control and Pimp my CPU *Rodderik
  • New voltage/frequency tables thanks to Rodderik!

How-to Video:
Thanks to qbking77 for making this excellent flashing tutorial! This will show you exactly how to get the kernel running on your phone.
YouTube - How to Flash a kernel and overclock Samsung Epic 1.4ghz

*Downloads*

v1.2
Download

v1.1
Download
Mirror

*Source*

Github

if you like our work then please

NXeJW.gif

Need support? Join us on irc.fossnet.info #acs-users
or click here FOSSnet Web IRC (qwebirc)

Last edited:

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Hey Paul how was it?
Please tell us all about.
HAHA.. Actually I have it downloaded and tomorrow I will flash it. I'm actually attached to the Twilight Zone v1.1.0 kernel. It has given me no troubles and battery life has been very good at the stock settings. I'm at that if it isn't broke then don't mess with it stage....

But yes I will flash this late tonight/tomorrow AM and report back.

thebullfrog

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
NICE! been running 1.0 with no probs. Too bad about the fps drop, but if it fixes the video issue then thats cool. Any chance of adding the 1.2ghz step? I'd like the option for helping with the battery rape. downloading and flashing right now :) My hpone runs 1.4ghz like it was meant to from the factory, I love this kernel and glad to see it being improved this quickly. i do have a question though, at 1ghz is it undervolted? are the voltages the sam as the current twilight or the previous version that had better batt life?

Officerpolabear

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
I usually just overclock my phone when I'm doing my benchmarks to see how high it would get and when I'm charging it but I might want to try and keep it overclocked 1.4ghz all day just to see what happens and of course see how long my battery lasts :)

thebullfrog

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
just flashed it. video recording is better but still pretty choppy for me. its improved, but definitely not fixed. ondemand scaling is also still ignoring my settings, so gonna stick to conservative. i wonder if the problem doesnt lie with setpu itself however.

Reactions: k4205

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
1ghz is very much undervolted, as for what the changes to the voltage tables are i have no idea, trying to talk to our kernel devs but they are fairly busy right now. ill pm you the answer and post it here when i find out tho :D
Well thats a good thing for long battery life, the 1ghz undervolt. That is normally what I run, I only bump it to OC to play around or when I'm doing stuff that I know is processor power demanding.

thomasskull666

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
Hey everyone just thought I would pop in and shed some light:

The kernel is undervolted at 1ghz, 800mhz and 400mhz by ~.025v.

1.4ghz does shred battery life lol, but just set it down lower if you want better battery life and it will perform just fine.

I was thinking of adding the 1.2ghs step in, but I don't see how it would be possible because of limitations to the voltage table. It's pretty hard to explain but if I could I certainly would.

I hope you guys are liking the kernel so far, feel free to contact me through Android Central or XDA if you ever have any questions or comments. Thanks!

thebullfrog

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
cool good to know. i wouldnt mind a version that leaves 1.3 out altogether in favor of 1.2, but i understand 1.3 is for those who cant do 1.4. if 1.2 isnt feasible i can live with it as is. i just spent an hour playing fruit ninja and checkin e-mail etc. Used about 15% batt, display at 100%, and performance scaling. i honestly dont think thats "too" bad all things considered. You've done a fantastic job on this, just hope we can get the video recording thing figured out.

thebullfrog

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
well this is interesting: i just set my max to 1ghz and consevative. video is dead smooth. the problem seems tied to the voltage more than the fps cap. if i clock to 1.4 its still crazy choppy, but 1ghz with the supposedly unstable conservative records perfectly.

Atlienzz

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site
I think you just flash it through cwm.

Yeah I've seen people say that you can flash certain things besides a ROM in CWM, but I have no idea what you can flash and how to do it.

For instance I know on the ACS thread @ XDA there is a lock screen download, but I would have no idea how to actually install it. If anybody has any directions on these processes it would be appreciated.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
How does one go about flashing a new kernel instead of a whole ROM?
You just download the kernel, boot into CWM and flash/install the kernel the same way you do a ROM. Except NO WIPE REQUIRED.
I think you just flash it through cwm.
Correct, no wipe.
Yeah I've seen people say that you can flash certain things besides a ROM in CWM, but I have no idea what you can flash and how to do it.

For instance I know on the ACS thread @ XDA there is a lock screen download, but I would have no idea how to actually install it. If anybody has any directions on these processes it would be appreciated.

See above answers...

You can flash...
ROMs (wipe required unless otherwise stated).
Themes, (wipe or no wipe, follow theme instructions)
Addons (mods, applications, restored apps, rintones, wallpaper, fonts, etc..... Usually no wipe required).
Kernels (no wipe required)