What ROM to run?

ZiggSVO

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Hi all
Just got my epic a couple days ago and I recieved the EC05 update OTA. I dont mind the stock rom at all. and I think I'm going to be purchasing the SPB 3D launcher deal :)

so my goal basically is to just overclock my epic a little so its more snappy and what not :)
wondering if you gurus can point me in the right direction to take :)
if not thank you anyways :)

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Hi all
Just got my epic a couple days ago and I recieved the EC05 update OTA. I dont mind the stock rom at all. and I think I'm going to be purchasing the SPB 3D launcher deal :)

so my goal basically is to just overclock my epic a little so its more snappy and what not :)
wondering if you gurus can point me in the right direction to take :)
if not thank you anyways :)

If your looking to just overclock your phone and possibly remove some bloatware then go to the link below. If your considering running custom ROMs then the same link below will also provide that information but you will need to convert to EXT4 filesystem. That is optional you can do that at a later date.

: [Root] Samsung Epic 4G Official Froyo EC05 w/Optional EXT4 *New Updated 2*

drekosh

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
This is completely just my opinion but once you convert to EXT4, any lag is basically gone and I don't see any need to overclock at all.
If you are looking for opinions on ROMs; my two favorites are Bonsai 4.0 and Syndicate 1.1.0. Both are very stable and work great. Plus, you can overclock on syndicate. Just get setcpu from the market and I believe you can go up to 1.3 ghz.

GSF1200S

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
Syndicate is great, but be warned that many have had poor battery life (myself included). Baked Snack is becoming a pretty good ROM, with a nice theme, good battery life, and some awesome tweaks. ACE ROM is probably the most stable ROM to ever exist on an Epic (including the OTA and stock versions)- 2.2, great battery life, relatively fast, not hacked into complication like many ROMS. Personally, I recommend ACE if you want something that works without many issues and has the bloat removed; the developer has put development on hold while he figures out the direction he wants to take ACE, but I think I speak for many in this forum who cant wait for him to create a new version.

**EDIT** If you wish to use any EB13 based ROM, you need to Odin back to rooted EB13 (see the ROMS thread). You can use an EC05 modem with an EB13 ROM if you wish, but going from an EC05 ROM to an EB13 seems to cause issues/is not recommended. Ive personally stayed on EB13 ROMS for now, so I cannot say if this is 100% true- thought you might want to know.

ZiggSVO

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Well I followed the wonderful youtube video that was posted on how to root an Epic :)...
And it was a piece of cake!
Installed clockwork converted to ext4 and flashed Syndicates ROMand it is so much faster now!
Installed the SPB Shell 3D Launcher and it runs amazingly smooth its unbelievable.

Do you have a link to the ACE ROM? I'd like to compare and run many roms :)

And what's this running bonsai with a baked snack kernel? :p Is it the one that is include with their ROM? Or is the baked snack just a ROM in its own?

Everyone seems to be really hyped up about the Cyanogen rom coming out :) cant help but get excited myself even though this is the first time i've rooted an android device even though I had the evo since launch lol. Not looking back on the EVO I love my Epic even more so now! I might just stop considering going to the Nexus 4G when it comes out now cuz I'm pretty darn happy now :)

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Well I followed the wonderful youtube video that was posted on how to root an Epic :)...
And it was a piece of cake!
Installed clockwork converted to ext4 and flashed Syndicates ROMand it is so much faster now!
Installed the SPB Shell 3D Launcher and it runs amazingly smooth its unbelievable.

Do you have a link to the ACE ROM? I'd like to compare and run many roms :)

And what's this running bonsai with a baked snack kernel? :p Is it the one that is include with their ROM? Or is the baked snack just a ROM in its own?

Everyone seems to be really hyped up about the Cyanogen rom coming out :) cant help but get excited myself even though this is the first time i've rooted an android device even though I had the evo since launch lol. Not looking back on the EVO I love my Epic even more so now! I might just stop considering going to the Nexus 4G when it comes out now cuz I'm pretty darn happy now :)

ACE ROM is located in the stickies in this section.

Running different kernels on different ROMs is nothing new. Everyone is searching for that great battery life and Baked Snack kernels have always had a good reputation for battery. Baked Snack kernels the ones mentoned here are provided with Baked Snack V2.2.

Sent from my Epic 4g....

GSF1200S

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
ACE ROM is located in the stickies in this section.

Running different kernels on different ROMs is nothing new. Everyone is searching for that great battery life and Baked Snack kernels have always had a good reputation for battery. Baked Snack kernels the ones mentoned here are provided with Baked Snack V2.2.

Sent from my Epic 4g....

Hey Paul, have you given the new Genocide kernel a shot? Talk about battery life.. you can undervolt each frequency step to exactly what your epic can handle. Ive got a 150mv underclock on the bottom two steps! Id love to see that baby running under a new ACE release ;)

In terms of ROMs to run, I would definitely consider running the new Genocide kernel underneath any ROM you try. I tried ACE with Genocide, but had all types of force closes; I think it might have been a corrupt filesystem though. I decided to give MidNight v5.1 BYOR a shot, running the Midnight theme with the Genocide kernel as undervolted as my phone can handle- best battery life yet on my phone. If ACE rerolls a EC05 version, ill switch to that.

Midnight (and Bonsai as well as Syndicate I believe) is using a cool patch that REMOVES the camera/music player killer when the battery is low (<25% I think, or <15%). ROMS are starting to get longer lists of features :)

ZiggSVO

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
How is it that I rooted and flashed this rom and was able to flash midnights rom but I dont have root access??? Cant use setcpu voltage or even shootme??? what the h e double hockey sticks!?!?

Tech_Hunter

Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
How is it that I rooted and flashed this rom and was able to flash midnights rom but I dont have root access??? Cant use setcpu voltage or even shootme??? what the h e double hockey sticks!?!?

What version of Midnight did you flash? 5.2 (and 5.1) is just a patch meant to be flashed on top of 5.0, so make sure you flash 5.0 first, then 5.2.

lancelot916

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
I've had major problems with Syndicate. I think it;s the journaling issue. Lots of instability and won't load very well.

Midnight v5 and upgraded to 5.2 is stable for me. using it with Vision Kernel

ZiggSVO

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
What version of Midnight did you flash? 5.2 (and 5.1) is just a patch meant to be flashed on top of 5.0, so make sure you flash 5.0 first, then 5.2.

did not know I needed to flash 5.0 first :p so I just flashed 5.2 on top of SRF lol.
and I guess when I did that it took my root access. (in the kernel of SRF?) so just had to reroot thats all.

may look into flashing the 5.0 version and then update to see how that does. But I do really like the icon set in SRF but the boot and shut down animations on BYOR are amazing!

drekosh

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
I've had major problems with Syndicate. I think it;s the journaling issue. Lots of instability and won't load very well.

Midnight v5 and upgraded to 5.2 is stable for me. using it with Vision Kernel

Maybe you had a bad flash? I had some issues with Bonsai the first time I flashed it. I wiped again and reflashed and it was fine. I think a lot of the stability issues people have on these popular ROMs and Kernels are due to a corrupt file from a bad flash.

ZiggSVO

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Maybe you had a bad flash? I had some issues with Bonsai the first time I flashed it. I wiped again and reflashed and it was fine. I think a lot of the stability issues people have on these popular ROMs and Kernels are due to a corrupt file from a bad flash.

Also I think with the newest version isnt journaling turned off and not included by default?

ryokojr

Apr 6, 2011
Visit site
What ROM to choose?

Okay I just got a Samsung Epic 4g.

I got into all the meta stuff but just flashed it back to just stock EC05 non rooted.

I think I want a ROM to install and I will root it again. But there are so many ROMs out there I have no idea which one to choose or if I should just use my stock with rooted. grr some1 help me out here plz.

Shabbypenguin

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
Okay I just got a Samsung Epic 4g.

I got into all the meta stuff but just flashed it back to just stock EC05 non rooted.

I think I want a ROM to install and I will root it again. But there are so many ROMs out there I have no idea which one to choose or if I should just use my stock with rooted. grr some1 help me out here plz.

"flashin in the front seat, odin'n in the back seat, gutta make my mind up, which rom can i take........" [/meme]

anyways its really a matter of personal preference, there are ups and downs with every rom (except acs of course ;P)

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
"flashin in the front seat, odin'n in the back seat, gutta make my mind up, which rom can i take........" [/meme]

anyways its really a matter of personal preference, there are ups and downs with every rom (except acs of course ;P)

I always tell everyone to "test drive" all the big name ROMs... Then you can see what you like.

jerseykat1

Oct 8, 2010
Visit site
SRF is nice but bonsai has been the most reliable and stable for me so far. I have only tried bonsai and SRF. They are both fast roms withthe edge going to SRF but bonsai is more consistantly fast and I have had zero FC's since I flashed it 2 or 3 days ago.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk