What ROM to run?

skyward

Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
Since the 2.2 update I've tired midnight, baked snack, Bonsai, and Syndicate. So far Bonsai and Syndicate are my top 2. I'm running Syndicate now and this one has been the best as far as speed goes, I haven't had any problems with stability with either Bonsai or Syndicate. Syndicate's battery life on the vision kernel isn't quite as good as baked snack, but I love the performance!

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
SFR v1.1.0 has been performing flawlessly for me since I enabled journaling. I am very pleased.

ZiggSVO

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
SFR v1.1.0 has been performing flawlessly for me since I enabled journaling. I am very pleased.

Its been great for me since I flashed it also :) except I dont have journaling on? So I've either not noticed the bugs others have with it off or I'm just lucky ;)

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Its been great for me since I flashed it also :) except I dont have journaling on? So I've either not noticed the bugs others have with it off or I'm just lucky ;)

You obviously are in the "lucky" group. Some people have no problems running with journaling off and then others like myself found out after it was pointed out by various users that my device likes to have journaling on to run this ROM.

If you device is performing without FC's and problems then no need to worry about it. You can enable journaling by creating a "working, error/fc free" NanDroid backup (backup in CWM) and then turn around immediately and restore that same backup. This will enable journaling.

Next question... What is journaling exactly ? See thread below.

what IS journaling

whippingboy

May 13, 2010
Visit site
Ok, so I've been holding off updating. I'm still on DK28 and Truly Epic because there's just been too many changes- sounds like SRF +journaling may be the way to go- but I need to update to the latest CWM, then flash the modem then the latest SRF- and THEN if it works without force closes- nandroid backup and restore?

And if it doesn't work flash back to my nandroid of DK28...

Would love to get some serious battery life improvement.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Ok, so I've been holding off updating. I'm still on DK28 and Truly Epic because there's just been too many changes- sounds like SRF +journaling may be the way to go- but I need to update to the latest CWM, then flash the modem then the latest SRF- and THEN if it works without force closes- nandroid backup and restore?

And if it doesn't work flash back to my nandroid of DK28...

Would love to get some serious battery life improvement.
You got it.

You don't necessarily have to go straight with enabling journaling. You could run it and see how things work. It doesn't happen to everyone. I've been 3 or 4 days now solid as one could ask. No FC's, can flash themes or whatever without problems. Before I enabled journaling the ROM would run decent but as soon as I attempted flashing a theme or add ons it would reboot with a mess of FC's.

jrz5024

Dec 12, 2010
Visit site
You got it.

You don't necessarily have to go straight with enabling journaling. You could run it and see how things work. It doesn't happen to everyone. I've been 3 or 4 days now solid as one could ask. No FC's, can flash themes or whatever without problems. Before I enabled journaling the ROM would run decent but as soon as I attempted flashing a theme or add ons it would reboot with a mess of FC's.

Paul, did you by any chance reboot into CWM to flash the theme using the 3-button method? That seems to create data corruption on the no-journaling version.

I only ask because I've been running no-journaling for awhile now and have yet to run into data corruption. Then again, I'm also very careful not to reboot my device improperly (i.e., any way but by selecting reboot from the power menu).

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Paul, did you by any chance reboot into CWM to flash the theme using the 3-button method? That seems to create data corruption on the no-journaling version.

I only ask because I've been running no-journaling for awhile now and have yet to run into data corruption. Then again, I'm also very careful not to reboot my device improperly (i.e., any way but by selecting reboot from the power menu).

Yes that is how I always boot into CWM, the 3 finger boot.

I've tried it both ways.. Shut down device completely then do the 3 finger boot and also soft reset then immediately hit the 3 finger boot to CWM. Both ways ended up in FC's after flashing something new.

I will stick with the journaling on, it works and I'm happy :)