Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default What ROM to run?

Hi all
    Just got my epic a couple days ago and I recieved the EC05 update OTA. I dont mind the stock rom at all. and I think I'm going to be purchasing the SPB 3D launcher deal

so my goal basically is to just overclock my epic a little so its more snappy and what not
    wondering if you gurus can point me in the right direction to take
    if not thank you anyways

Quote Originally Posted by ZiggSeVO View Post
    Hi all
    Just got my epic a couple days ago and I recieved the EC05 update OTA. I dont mind the stock rom at all. and I think I'm going to be purchasing the SPB 3D launcher deal

so my goal basically is to just overclock my epic a little so its more snappy and what not
    wondering if you gurus can point me in the right direction to take
    if not thank you anyways
    If your looking to just overclock your phone and possibly remove some bloatware then go to the link below. If your considering running custom ROMs then the same link below will also provide that information but you will need to convert to EXT4 filesystem. That is optional you can do that at a later date.

: [Root] Samsung Epic 4G Official Froyo EC05 w/Optional EXT4 *New Updated 2*
    Paul
    Moderator Team Leader @ Android Central

I am the Tegra Champ. What this means is that from time to time NVIDIA might send me new products to try out. This will not affect my thoughts, ideas, or opinions about any product that are discussed in the forums. Those are still my own.

Global Posts
    111 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM9 Beta 2

This is completely just my opinion but once you convert to EXT4, any lag is basically gone and I don't see any need to overclock at all.
    If you are looking for opinions on ROMs; my two favorites are Bonsai 4.0 and Syndicate 1.1.0. Both are very stable and work great. Plus, you can overclock on syndicate. Just get setcpu from the market and I believe you can go up to 1.3 ghz.

ROM
    Thunderhawk3.3

Syndicate is great, but be warned that many have had poor battery life (myself included). Baked Snack is becoming a pretty good ROM, with a nice theme, good battery life, and some awesome tweaks. ACE ROM is probably the most stable ROM to ever exist on an Epic (including the OTA and stock versions)- 2.2, great battery life, relatively fast, not hacked into complication like many ROMS. Personally, I recommend ACE if you want something that works without many issues and has the bloat removed; the developer has put development on hold while he figures out the direction he wants to take ACE, but I think I speak for many in this forum who cant wait for him to create a new version.

**EDIT** If you wish to use any EB13 based ROM, you need to Odin back to rooted EB13 (see the ROMS thread). You can use an EC05 modem with an EB13 ROM if you wish, but going from an EC05 ROM to an EB13 seems to cause issues/is not recommended. Ive personally stayed on EB13 ROMS for now, so I cannot say if this is 100% true- thought you might want to know.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Well I followed the wonderful youtube video that was posted on how to root an Epic ...
    And it was a piece of cake!
    Installed clockwork converted to ext4 and flashed Syndicates ROMand it is so much faster now!
    Installed the SPB Shell 3D Launcher and it runs amazingly smooth its unbelievable.

Do you have a link to the ACE ROM? I'd like to compare and run many roms

And what's this running bonsai with a baked snack kernel? Is it the one that is include with their ROM? Or is the baked snack just a ROM in its own?

Everyone seems to be really hyped up about the Cyanogen rom coming out cant help but get excited myself even though this is the first time i've rooted an android device even though I had the evo since launch lol. Not looking back on the EVO I love my Epic even more so now! I might just stop considering going to the Nexus 4G when it comes out now cuz I'm pretty darn happy now

Well I followed the wonderful youtube video that was posted on how to root an Epic ...
    And it was a piece of cake!
    Installed clockwork converted to ext4 and flashed Syndicates ROMand it is so much faster now!
    Installed the SPB Shell 3D Launcher and it runs amazingly smooth its unbelievable.

Do you have a link to the ACE ROM? I'd like to compare and run many roms

And what's this running bonsai with a baked snack kernel? Is it the one that is include with their ROM? Or is the baked snack just a ROM in its own?

Everyone seems to be really hyped up about the Cyanogen rom coming out cant help but get excited myself even though this is the first time i've rooted an android device even though I had the evo since launch lol. Not looking back on the EVO I love my Epic even more so now! I might just stop considering going to the Nexus 4G when it comes out now cuz I'm pretty darn happy now
    ACE ROM is located in the stickies in this section.

Running different kernels on different ROMs is nothing new. Everyone is searching for that great battery life and Baked Snack kernels have always had a good reputation for battery. Baked Snack kernels the ones mentoned here are provided with Baked Snack V2.2.

Sent from my Epic 4g....
    Paul

I am the Tegra Champ. What this means is that from time to time NVIDIA might send me new products to try out. This will not affect my thoughts, ideas, or opinions about any product that are discussed in the forums. Those are still my own.

ROM
    Thunderhawk3.3

Quote Originally Posted by Paul627g View Post
    ACE ROM is located in the stickies in this section.

Running different kernels on different ROMs is nothing new. Everyone is searching for that great battery life and Baked Snack kernels have always had a good reputation for battery. Baked Snack kernels the ones mentoned here are provided with Baked Snack V2.2.

Sent from my Epic 4g....
    Hey Paul, have you given the new Genocide kernel a shot? Talk about battery life.. you can undervolt each frequency step to exactly what your epic can handle. Ive got a 150mv underclock on the bottom two steps! Id love to see that baby running under a new ACE release

In terms of ROMs to run, I would definitely consider running the new Genocide kernel underneath any ROM you try. I tried ACE with Genocide, but had all types of force closes; I think it might have been a corrupt filesystem though. I decided to give MidNight v5.1 BYOR a shot, running the Midnight theme with the Genocide kernel as undervolted as my phone can handle- best battery life yet on my phone. If ACE rerolls a EC05 version, ill switch to that.

Midnight (and Bonsai as well as Syndicate I believe) is using a cool patch that REMOVES the camera/music player killer when the battery is low (<25% I think, or <15%). ROMS are starting to get longer lists of features
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

How is it that I rooted and flashed this rom and was able to flash midnights rom but I dont have root access??? Cant use setcpu voltage or even shootme??? what the h e double hockey sticks!?!?

How is it that I rooted and flashed this rom and was able to flash midnights rom but I dont have root access??? Cant use setcpu voltage or even shootme??? what the h e double hockey sticks!?!?
    What version of Midnight did you flash? 5.2 (and 5.1) is just a patch meant to be flashed on top of 5.0, so make sure you flash 5.0 first, then 5.2.

Global Posts
    229 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock rooted

I've had major problems with Syndicate. I think it;s the journaling issue. Lots of instability and won't load very well.

Midnight v5 and upgraded to 5.2 is stable for me. using it with Vision Kernel
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

Quote Originally Posted by mis3 View Post
    What version of Midnight did you flash? 5.2 (and 5.1) is just a patch meant to be flashed on top of 5.0, so make sure you flash 5.0 first, then 5.2.
    did not know I needed to flash 5.0 first so I just flashed 5.2 on top of SRF lol.
    and I guess when I did that it took my root access. (in the kernel of SRF?) so just had to reroot thats all.

may look into flashing the 5.0 version and then update to see how that does. But I do really like the icon set in SRF but the boot and shut down animations on BYOR are amazing!

Global Posts
    111 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM9 Beta 2

Quote Originally Posted by lancelot916 View Post
    I've had major problems with Syndicate. I think it;s the journaling issue. Lots of instability and won't load very well.

Midnight v5 and upgraded to 5.2 is stable for me. using it with Vision Kernel
    Maybe you had a bad flash? I had some issues with Bonsai the first time I flashed it. I wiped again and reflashed and it was fine. I think a lot of the stability issues people have on these popular ROMs and Kernels are due to a corrupt file from a bad flash.
  13. Thread Author  Thread Author    #13  

Quote Originally Posted by drekosh View Post
    Maybe you had a bad flash? I had some issues with Bonsai the first time I flashed it. I wiped again and reflashed and it was fine. I think a lot of the stability issues people have on these popular ROMs and Kernels are due to a corrupt file from a bad flash.
    Also I think with the newest version isnt journaling turned off and not included by default?

Default What ROM to choose?

Okay I just got a Samsung Epic 4g.

I got into all the meta stuff but just flashed it back to just stock EC05 non rooted.

I think I want a ROM to install and I will root it again. But there are so many ROMs out there I have no idea which one to choose or if I should just use my stock with rooted. grr some1 help me out here plz.
  15. Thread Author  Thread Author    #15  

Need to know your goals?

On a side note I'm running the newest SRF ROM and its wonderful!
    ReaLife1st
    Just a couple of guys that theme in their spare time.
    Follow us on Twitter
    @ReaLife1st
    @ZiggSVO
    All of our work is now tagged with [RLF]
    Like my work, or something I helped you do you can help get my kids some diapers by searching ZIGGSVO in the market.
    (Never Required but always appreciated!)
    ROM Developer

Quote Originally Posted by ryokojr View Post
    Okay I just got a Samsung Epic 4g.

I got into all the meta stuff but just flashed it back to just stock EC05 non rooted.

I think I want a ROM to install and I will root it again. But there are so many ROMs out there I have no idea which one to choose or if I should just use my stock with rooted. grr some1 help me out here plz.
    "flashin in the front seat, odin'n in the back seat, gutta make my mind up, which rom can i take........" [/meme]

anyways its really a matter of personal preference, there are ups and downs with every rom (except acs of course ;P)
    Webchat support for the Official Unloved Devices Hit Squad
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------

If I've helped you then please buy me a beer

Quote Originally Posted by Shabbypenguin View Post
    "flashin in the front seat, odin'n in the back seat, gutta make my mind up, which rom can i take........" [/meme]

anyways its really a matter of personal preference, there are ups and downs with every rom (except acs of course ;P)
    I always tell everyone to "test drive" all the big name ROMs... Then you can see what you like.
    Paul

I always tell everyone to "test drive" all the big name ROMs... Then you can see what you like.
    This...

...but SyndicateROM Frozen all day.

Like what I do? Please donate to the cause!
    Do not PM me for support or bug reports.

SRF is nice but bonsai has been the most reliable and stable for me so far. I have only tried bonsai and SRF. They are both fast roms withthe edge going to SRF but bonsai is more consistantly fast and I have had zero FC's since I flashed it 2 or 3 days ago.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk
  20. Thread Author  Thread Author    #20  

Quote Originally Posted by k0nane View Post
    This...

...but SyndicateROM Frozen all day.
    This...

definatley and awesome ROM. Havent run into any bugs since I flashed it and phone is blazing fast now also!
    ReaLife1st
    Follow us on Twitter
    @ReaLife1st
    @ZiggSVO
    Like my work, or something I helped you do you can help get my kids some diapers by searching ZIGGSVO in the market.

Global Posts
    141 Global Posts
    ROM
    Bonsai 4.1.1

Since the 2.2 update I've tired midnight, baked snack, Bonsai, and Syndicate. So far Bonsai and Syndicate are my top 2. I'm running Syndicate now and this one has been the best as far as speed goes, I haven't had any problems with stability with either Bonsai or Syndicate. Syndicate's battery life on the vision kernel isn't quite as good as baked snack, but I love the performance!

SFR v1.1.0 has been performing flawlessly for me since I enabled journaling. I am very pleased.
    Paul

23. Thread Author  Thread Author    #23  

SFR v1.1.0 has been performing flawlessly for me since I enabled journaling. I am very pleased.
    Its been great for me since I flashed it also except I dont have journaling on? So I've either not noticed the bugs others have with it off or I'm just lucky
    ReaLife1st
    Follow us on Twitter
    @ReaLife1st
    @ZiggSVO

ROM
    ACS SyndicateROM Frozen

+1 for SRF. Fastest I've seen, awesome battery life even at 1.2Ghz (consistent 16hrs+), and completely stable.

Its been great for me since I flashed it also except I dont have journaling on? So I've either not noticed the bugs others have with it off or I'm just lucky
    You obviously are in the "lucky" group. Some people have no problems running with journaling off and then others like myself found out after it was pointed out by various users that my device likes to have journaling on to run this ROM.

If you device is performing without FC's and problems then no need to worry about it. You can enable journaling by creating a "working, error/fc free" NanDroid backup (backup in CWM) and then turn around immediately and restore that same backup. This will enable journaling.

Next question... What is journaling exactly ? See thread below.

what IS journaling
    Paul

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast