Question for Devs and Nexus S

Nasko

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
OK, so my question is the following. Given that the internals of the nexus s and the epic 4g are 95% the same, what is the chance that when the nexus s for sprint comes out, we can get a speedy Gingerbread rom port? From what I know the biggest problems so far have been GPS, 4G and camera. Well all those are the same in the Nexus S already (not sure about the GPS). This would be such a lifeline for my epic (Nexus Epic sounds about right to me). So please, someone who knows what he is talking about, give us the users a little bit of info if that's possible, and if not what do you expext the major hurdles would be. For example if the video recording quality is dropped to nexus S level, I don't expect too much dissatisfaction, where if GPS is the problem I think it would. Please elighten us. Thanks in advance.

Shabbypenguin

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
the problem with gps and teh radio is how samsung handles it. on the epic they did it stupidly, its basically a gsm phone with a cdma ril wrapper around it and everything goes thru it, without source to the ril (which they dont have to provide) it makes things a bit harder.. camera is being worked on by one of the best android cdma devs Decad3nce, he just got his epic. he got the .35 kernel running perfectly on the heroc a native 2.1 device (.29kernel)

Nasko

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
thanks for the reply. So is the hardawre of the CDMA nexus S, as far as radio and GPS go, handled the same way or is it somehing completely different. Because if it is the same, then I am asuming porting, even without having access to the source code its shouldn't be a problem. Kind of like how they ported Honeycomb from the SDK, without having access to the source code. I am not a software guy, so if what I am saying is just stupid and doesn't make any sense, feel free to let me know, or am I thinking here on the right track?