What do I need to flash boot/shutdown animations with CWM?

W0lfy B

Mar 18, 2011
Visit site
I want to change my boot and shutdown animations. The ones im using are zip's and it says on the thread that they are flashable with CWM 3.0 (which I already have). Just need to know all the stuff I would need to do it (if anything) and where to go in CWM. Thanks in advance.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
I want to change my boot and shutdown animations. The ones im using are zip's and it says on the thread that they are flashable with CWM 3.0 (which I already have). Just need to know all the stuff I would need to do it (if anything) and where to go in CWM. Thanks in advance.

Shut down device. Press and hold to boot into CWM (volume down+camera+power)

Go to "Install zip from sdcard" press camera

Then select "Choose zip from sdcard" press camera

Then find your "zips" that you want to flash and press camera

Then scroll to "Yes - Install xxxxx " press camera

Once completed select " **** Go Back **** " and press camera until you get back to the main screen and select "Reboot System".

Reactions: W0lfy B

W0lfy B

Mar 18, 2011
Visit site

Once completed select " **** Go Back **** " and press camera until you get back to the main screen and select "Reboot System".

Well, I flashed the boot animation and rebooted to check and it didn't work. I'm going to flash the shutdown and hopefully it will work then. If not, anything I could be doing wrong.

W0lfy B

Mar 18, 2011
Visit site

Well, I flashed the boot animation and rebooted to check and it didn't work. I'm going to flash the shutdown and hopefully it will work then. If not, anything I could be doing wrong.

Oops, apparently I have CWM v2.5.1.0 instead of 3.0 which it specifies in the thread so I think thats the problem. So can I just update in ROM Manager?

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
No, don't use Rom Manager. You will need to be on EXT4/CWM 3.0.0.6 to use those. See the rooting thread sticky.
Sent from my Epic 4g

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
So what I'm getting from this is that I can't get CWM 3 on RFS. Is that correct?

To make my answer clear to your question. Yes you are correct you can't run CWM 3.0.0.6 on RFS. You need to convert to EXT4 which then uses CWM 3.0.0.6

ttriplett1

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
So I CAN'T just stay with RFS AND get CWM 3.

Nope, thats the point of CWM 3, most of the new ROMs are in EXT4 anyway. Its not really as scary as it sounds; listen to Paul, he speaks the truth.

*There are several boot animations that you manually place in the system/media directory.

Last edited:

ragnarokx

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
Nope, thats the point of CWM 3, most of the new ROMs are in EXT4 anyway. Its not really as scary as it sounds; listen to Paul, he speaks the truth.

*There are several boot animations that you manually place in the system/media directory.

I actually just did this - grabbed midNIGHT's new boot and shutdown animations and manually installed them.

Boot animations are located here:

/system/media/bootanimation.zip

You can unzip any ROM (or even Clockwork-flashable boot animation zip files), pull out this file, place it on your SD card, and then copy it to the same directory. It's recommended to rename, instead of overwrite, your current one "bootanimation.bak" in case you want/need to revert.

Same concept for shutdown animations, except they are not zipped but instead stored as loose files in this folder:

/system/media/video/shutdown

For this, you want to rename the current folder on your phone "shutdown backup" and then copy the folder of the shutdown animation that you want.

I recommend using Root Explorer for the above, and make sure you have the R/W button on the top right of the screen pressed because if R/O is pressed you cannot modify system files or folders.

W0lfy B

Mar 18, 2011
Visit site
I actually just did this - grabbed midNIGHT's new boot and shutdown animations and manually installed them.

You can unzip any ROM (or even Clockwork-flashable boot animation zip files), pull out this file, place it on your SD card, and then copy it to the same directory. It's recommended to rename, instead of overwrite, your current one "bootanimation.bak" in case you want/need to revert.

Same concept for shutdown animations, except they are not zipped but instead stored as loose files in this folder:

For this, you want to rename the current folder on your phone "shutdown backup" and then copy the folder of the shutdown animation that you want.

I recommend using Root Explorer for the above, and make sure you have the R/W button on the top right of the screen pressed because if R/O is pressed you cannot modify system files or folders.

Nevermind lol didnt read the whole thing.

Last edited:

W0lfy B

Mar 18, 2011
Visit site

Ok, well I renamed bootanimation.zip to bootanimation.bak and then when I tried to copy mine there it said there wasn't enough space. So I look at the top and it says there is only 8kb left. Since the .zip for mine is about 7mb I don't know how to resolve this. Any suggestions?

ragnarokx

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
I must be missing something. 8kb left on internal memory is nothing - how many apps do you have installed on your internal memory?