Question about restoring regarding kernel?

Maezorg

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
Okay, so when you create a backup in clockwork mod, or any other program for that matter, shouldn't it create a FULL backup of your phones current state? I have grown to love a couple of different roms, so i simply created back ups in clockworkmod of the different ones i like and used mybackup to schedule backups of my recent data (texts, call logs, etc.) so that if i was feeling a different rom that day i could restore it but and still have the recent data. The only issue i have is that if i were to restore a ROM that used Genocide kernel and wanted to switch back later to my Syndicate 1.1 setup that uses Twilightzone kernel. The kernel does not change between restores. If i flash a new rom and new kernel and create a backup of it for later use then try to restore a previous backup the new kernel would still be in use which does not always cause issues (depending on the kernel and the rom) but i guess what im asking is why does the restore option not restore the kernel that was being used at the time of the backup??

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Not sure why but it just wasn't incorporated into the backup image of CWM. Your already in CWM to restore your backup so flashing a kernel before you leave is not that big of a deal.

Reactions: Maezorg

Maezorg

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
No its not a big deal, i guess i was just curious as to why it was happening just in case it should have been restoring the kernel. But now i know ;)

Maezorg

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
One more question, I may be under the wrong impression but I remembered your guide for converting CWM2 & CWM3 files and came up with this.. using the attached blank flashable .zip file from your post; would it be possible to, since creating a backup in clockworkmod creates a folder with images in it, put those images along with the .zip file (or contents of the .zip) of the kernel i would like to have, maybe in the certain location of the META-INF into that blank flashable .zip and instead of restoring just install .zip from sd card? I am aware that I am relatively new to this stuff but since the day i joined and rooted i have only grown more and more eager to try new things and gain more knowledge. So if I sound stupid Im sorry, i gotta learn somehow lol

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
One more question, I may be under the wrong impression but I remembered your guide for converting CWM2 & CWM3 files and came up with this.. using the attached blank flashable .zip file from your post; would it be possible to, since creating a backup in clockworkmod creates a folder with images in it, put those images along with the .zip file (or contents of the .zip) of the kernel i would like to have, maybe in the certain location of the META-INF into that blank flashable .zip and instead of restoring just install .zip from sd card? I am aware that I am relatively new to this stuff but since the day i joined and rooted i have only grown more and more eager to try new things and gain more knowledge. So if I sound stupid Im sorry, i gotta learn somehow lol

If I understand your post correctly your talking about creating your own zip file or flashable zip with a kernel of your choice to flash?

If your answer is yes then...
How To: Extract a Kernel From a ROM

Maezorg

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
To a certain extent yes... but not only put the kernel of my choice in the .zip also put all the .img files (that were created by a backup in clockworkmod) in the flashable .zip

So instead of restoring my backup(which wouldnt have the kernel) i could flash this custom .zip that i created, which yes is essentially still "restoring" a backup i made but it would also flash the kernel. Basically restoring backup & flashing kernel all in one step.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Not sure if there is such a method really. Basically you just restore you backup in CWM and then before you leave, flash the kernel you want.

ragnarokx

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
AFAIK .img files only work with Clockwork's "Backup/Restore" function; they will not work with the "Install zip from SD" function.

This is only a guess as I've never tried it, but if you could crack open that .img file and extract the files that were backed up, you could use those to create a flashable zip.

Maezorg

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
That is what i will do. I wasn't trying to say flashing the kernel before i left was a big deal or that this would be faster & more convenient than simply flashing the kernel before i left because i know it really wouldn't be since you'd have to take the time to create the .zip in the first place. I was only wondering if the procedure made sense or was way off. like how you just said your not sure if there is such a method, could what i was saying BE a method. if doing what i said would have the desired outcome i wanted to get. (creating "this" by modifying or changing "these" will have a result of "that") my way of trying to learn what does what. what is and isn't possible. better understanding. how you could achieve what. I don't know? maybe i just sound insane and am not making sense. this is the first thing ive ever done that has sucked me in for 18 hours without a break of just reading what you guys do, im not trying to sound like some kid saying "omg paul your awesome i want to be just like you" its just literally fun for to read about developing and how software works and everything about this. ever since i started learning and trying stuff i have some indescribable and so far unfulfillable desire to find out what else can i do, what are the limits, how could i fix this problem and obviously since i started this like 3 weeks ago i simply just dont know everything but before anyone could ever get to the point of actual full developing or how ever you want to word it they're going to have to start with small (very small) ideas or insignificant modifying or whatever you want to say but that little thought i just had was my attempt. But it seems i should stop posting for a few months, read every dev guide google can find, and maybe, juuuuuust maybe i wont be so software/dev/linux/android illiterate. haha or i should pick up a new hobby who knows

ragnarokx

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
But it seems i should stop posting for a few months, read every dev guide google can find, and maybe, juuuuuust maybe i wont be so software/dev/linux/android illiterate. haha or i should pick up a new hobby who knows

It's all part of the learning process. I know it's frustrating not knowing your right from your left, but give it enough time and allow yourself to make enough mistakes/ask enough questions and you'll be a pro in no time. AC is a great place to learn - we welcome folks of all skill levels :D

Maezorg

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
Thanks i appreciate it. your right about frustrating though. once i get the basics down, trial and error will be easier to accept. realistically i cant just quit at this point lol

chris41g

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
you can extract the img files and make and update zip that way containing the kernel and your own personal "rom" which is a backup... just unyaffs the img filesm then place them in a zip in a similar format as a rom would be... except most roms dont use the data partition, or the android secure... so itll take a little work, but you could do it. much easier to use my backup root and just reflash your rom..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech