1st android phone (samsung epic) any suggestions for best ROM?

merverferker

Apr 18, 2011
Visit site
Hey everyone who bothers to read these new posts....I will be getting a samsung epic 4g this week and I have been researching several ROMs, but I haven't made up my mind on which would be best for me. Any suggestions? Thanks :D

mclarryjr

Retired Moderator
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central and congrats on your new phone I'm sure you will be extremely happy with it. Since I don't have an Epic I can't help with your question but I'm going to move this to the Rom and hacks section where you should get some good input.

Maezorg

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
Depending on what way you root your phone.. but if you are on ECO5 rooted with EXT4 filesystem, My favorite is SyndicateRom Frozen 1.1

However, the developer of ACE rom is in the works of a version 2.0 for ECO5 and his previous ACE 1.7 for EB13 was amazing.

Test a few out honeslty.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Best suggestion is to read through the individual ROM threads we have in this section. They are marked by the thread starting with [ROM]. Look at the features list and see what users are saying about them. Running custom ROMs is a bit of a trial and error when getting started but given a little time and patience you will learn to enjoy them as many others have.

Last edited:

thebullfrog

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
As a first step I strongly suggest ACE, however midnight and SRF are both great choices. Not surehow long it will be before Paul gets ACE 2.0 but waiting for that may not be a bad idea. Other than that you really cant go wrong with any of the big ROMs, if nothing else just try them all and see what you wind up liking best.

And Paul, can you please learn the difference between "threw" and "through"? Its starting to drive me nuts lol :p

bdog421

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Hey everyone who bothers to read these new posts....I will be getting a samsung epic 4g this week and I have been researching several ROMs, but I haven't made up my mind on which would be best for me. Any suggestions? Thanks :D

Congrats on choosing the epic, one of the best single core phones ever made!!

I can't really recommend just one rom, as all the eb13 and ec05 based roms are sick.

My suggestion is to first learn how all the ins and outs of backing up and restoring for the epic work. After that I'd move onto learning about using odin as a backup to cwm, just to be prepared in the unlikely event cwm fails you. Best to always be fully prepared first before you get into trouble. At this point in time DO NOT use rom manager, causes nothing but issues for people with epics.

Do some research about the file systems, RFS-stock file system(most reliable, super slow) and EXT4 journaling off(fastest, like light speed fast) and EXT4 journaling on(safer than journaling off, but about 25% slower). All this is assuming you know very little about android hacking. I learned the basics here at AC from the well written threads on rooting and flashing custom roms, by Paul627g and ragnarokx......enjoy!!

Reactions: elbaso

jrz5024

Dec 12, 2010
Visit site
I use syndicaterom frozen and love it. Ace might be a better beginner rom however, since I'm told installation for it is painless and some people have problems with SRF.

tomy2001

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
As a first step I strongly suggest ACE, however midnight and SRF are both great choices. Not surehow long it will be before Paul gets ACE 2.0 but waiting for that may not be a bad idea. Other than that you really cant go wrong with any of the big ROMs, if nothing else just try them all and see what you wind up liking best.

And Paul, can you please learn the difference between "threw" and "through"? Its starting to drive me nuts lol :p

I do not mind if Paul or anyone makes a mistake. Here, the main goal is helping one to another. Paul has been doing a great job in this respect. Thanks Paul!!!

Last edited:

tomy2001

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site

Welcome to the rooted world of the Samsung Epic 4g.:)!!!!

traumahawk

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
If you're looking for sleek and fast and pretty much problem free- Bonsai
SyndicateRomFrozen is popular, im actually using this one atm, just not on the newest version. i cant get battery life to last on v1.1, but i'm apparently an oddity with that as its HUGELY popular.

personal favorite- ACE (by our very own Paul627g), which will be coming out with version ACE 2.0 VERY soon. I will be hopping over to it as soon as it's available. Previous versions of ACE were probably the most stable and usable roms i've tried thus far. Easy to theme (if you're into that), great battery life, no bugs during use (at all. only rom i can say that about from my experience).

i'd just use odin, throw eb13 + the ec05 modem on your phone (deodexed + ext4 version of eb13), and wait for ACE to come out.

Last edited:

traumahawk

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
and btw- Welcome to AC forums. Paul and Ragnarox guided me through and showed me almost everything I know about rooting and roms and theming. Its a really great place to be for learning what you can do to (and with) your android phone. Best of luck to you! (and if you need help- ask. can't learn unless you ask questions). As for a video on installing/rooting and installing a rom- I will be making a how-to video of everything from using odin to flash eb13/ec05 modem to installing ACE (or any rom, i'll just be using ACE 2.0) and putting it on youtube to link here for beginners who've never flashed before. keep your eyes peeled if you need the help.

k0nane

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
Link's in my signature. ;)

But seriously, try them all, and see which you like. If anything goes a little odd when flashing SRF - which, for the vast majority, it doesn't - support is always available in our IRC channel. We'll make sure everything gets working 100% correctly.

StoneRyno

Jan 5, 2011
Visit site
Like you I wasn't sure what ROM I would want. Even after reading all sorts of info. Some of the details I didn't really even know what they meant to me as an end user. But anyways I started out with trying syndicate ROM which I'm still using currently. I may try some of the others between now and when I change to cyanogen as soon as it is ready for the masses. Even with that in mind I haven't decided on one.

merverferker

Apr 18, 2011
Visit site
WOW.....look at all these replies! Thank you everyone for all your helpful ideas...I had not read anything about ACE before, but apparently I should add it to the "give it a try" list when ver 2 is released. :)
I do plan on giving several ROMs a whirl before I decide which is my fav....Thanks again for all the helpful replies (there are forums that are seldom helpful, but I see that this is not one of them) I will definitely make this my first stop if I run into any problems.

TexasEpic4G

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
Another really good and easy to use ROM besides ACE is TrulyEpic Rebirth - I have had NO problems with that one at all ( other than my inexperience since I've only been R&R *rooted and ROMed* for about 3 weeks now ) ... then try out ACE 2.0 as soon as it gets released ( hopefully today :p ) .... but make sure you read up on each ROM first and get a good idea of what each one brings to the table ... and never be afraid to ask ( after reading first ) if you have questions ...I have always had great support and answers from the guys in here ..... Good Luck

jrz5024

Dec 12, 2010
Visit site
Another really good and easy to use ROM besides ACE is TrulyEpic Rebirth - I have had NO problems with that one at all ( other than my inexperience since I've only been R&R *rooted and ROMed* for about 3 weeks now ) ... then try out ACE 2.0 as soon as it gets released ( hopefully today :p ) .... but make sure you read up on each ROM first and get a good idea of what each one brings to the table ... and never be afraid to ask ( after reading first ) if you have questions ...I have always had great support and answers from the guys in here ..... Good Luck

No offense to your preference of rom, but I'd actually suggest against TER. It was a good rom for it's time, but it's still based on the old DK28 build and won't be updated to EC05 since development is stopped, which also means finding support for it will be difficult.

TexasEpic4G

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
No offense to your preference of rom, but I'd actually suggest against TER. It was a good rom for it's time, but it's still based on the old DK28 build and won't be updated to EC05 since development is stopped, which also means finding support for it will be difficult.
Mainly mentioned TER because it is so easy to use for someone who is NEW , that's all.

ragnarokx

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site

You are correct about not updating TER to EC05, however if anyone still wants to use TER I will still give support.

Sent by a little green robot

Reactions: TexasEpic4G

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
I second that on TER for support. It was a very good ROM for its time and did an excellent job of representing a Froyo build that never made it to official release.

Reactions: TexasEpic4G

TexasEpic4G

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
You are correct about not updating TER to EC05, however if anyone still wants to use TER I will still give support.

Sent by a little green robot
See - just like I said - the guys in here are always helpful - ragnaroxk and Paul627g are the best ( and I'm NOT just saying that because they've helped me - read the forums and see how helpful they are to everyone )

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cy3berOdyssey