Phone won't turn on?

skyward

Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
Okay today my phone started acting up. Every time I tried to turn it on it wouldn't do anything, black power off screen. I had to pull the battery to get it to start up again. I tried my nandroid, tried a couple different roms all with the same results. I odined back to stock to see if that clears it. I'm going to run it stock for a week or so to see if it maybe something that I need to bring into sprint. What do you guys think?

Running it stock is going to kill me!!!

k0nane

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
The culprit may have been VisionKernel 1.2. We are investigating possible issues with it right now. You will be stable with SRF and VisionKernel 1.1.

lancelot916

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
hmm.. i just posted in the epic4g forum with same issue except, I can't boot, ac charger does nothing, with or without battery doesnt do anything, plugging into pc doesnt do anything, download mode wont work.

it's like the phone is just dead. no signs of life (no led, nada). PLEASE HELP

skyward

Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
I see you're on Vision 1.2 as well, maybe it does have something to do with that. Are you able to odin back to stock? Did you try odin with the battery out?

lancelot916

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
I see you're on Vision 1.2 as well, maybe it does have something to do with that. Are you able to odin back to stock? Did you try odin with the battery out?

Odin requires the PC to recognize. PC won't even recognize something is plugged in. LED doesn't show any power when in PC or AC adapter.

lancelot916

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
thanks for the link. unfortunately no go. Couldnt tell if i was actually pushing something or not. there's no click or feedback to tell me I am pressing something down. =(

i tried but it didnt seem to work.

k0nane

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
thanks for the link. unfortunately no go. Couldnt tell if i was actually pushing something or not. there's no click or feedback to tell me I am pressing something down. =(

Mystery will be posting pictures soon, they may help.

scoob

Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
Good luck, maybe it is a hardware problem and not the kernel.

I had my Epic replaced earlier this month because the charging port wouldnt charge/accept power and thus the phone died. I bet they do the same for you.

As side note- running Vision 1.2 and it actually seemed more stable then 1.1 (hadnt had a lock since weekend). Maybe it's a placebo from what konane is posting about known lockups...

lancelot916

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
i think it might be the kernel. flashed many ROMS, from D18 to E18, now to EC05 and no issues. midNIGHT ran the most stable but tried vision, twilight, and bondai kernel. when vision went 1.2 that's when i had some issues. Then i added voltage control also so not sure... will know in a few hours.

droccam

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Had my Epic die on me too. Was working fine and then just died, wont charge or anything. With a charged batt from my girlfriends Epic it will turn on to the software download screen but wont connect or anything. Took it to the Sprint store today and they couldn't get it to do anything either and I am now waiting for my replacement in the mail.

On a side note, they did tell me that the US versions of the Epic do not have gorilla glass, only the euro versions do...

scoob

Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
On a side note, they did tell me that the US versions of the Epic do not have gorilla glass, only the euro versions do...

Good on getting another phone.
Weird about Gorilla Glass. I took it for granted that all Epics have it- but put a screen protector on it anyway.

I know Sprint reps get a bad rep for spotty knowledge and all...

lancelot916

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
*UPDATE

I went to the Sprint store and the phone is officially... dead. They can't revive it in any way so they are giving me a refurbished replacement at no additional cost. Wow. I can't believe it's for free. He said it might be $35 before looking at it, but then when I got it back he said it's free. The only thing is no Sprint stores have one in stock so they had to order. Should arrive by tomorrow or Friday. I don't have TEP so I'm not sure why it's free.

I'll have to re-root and install a ROM, but for sure w/o Vision 1.2 =)

k0nane

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
Good on getting another phone.
Weird about Gorilla Glass. I took it for granted that all Epics have it- but put a screen protector on it anyway.

I know Sprint reps get a bad rep for spotty knowledge and all...

The Epic is definitely Gorilla Glass. I did some nasty things to my device, it hardly had a scratch when I sent it to Samsuck.

aristarchus

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site

I've had similar problems when I fubar'd a odin modem flash. I found plugging it in, taking out the battery, pushing the power button and such will often get the phone to boot again... at least into download mode.

In general, for those in this thread, it's helpful to post your ROM and kernal and what not. I have no idea k0nane was able to figure out which rom you were on.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Akshay