force close (apps not responding); want to backup before switching ROMs

StoneRyno

Jan 5, 2011
Visit site
I'm getting "The application xxxxxxxxxxx (process xxxxxx.xxxxxx.xxxxx) has stopped unexpectedly. Please try again." for the following things:

Google Services Framework (com.google.process.gapps)
Messaging (com.android.mms) [I'm unable to launch it due to this].
Swype (com.swype.android) [pops up on an interval as android tries and relaunches it].
Calendar (com.android.calendar) [I'm unable to launch it due to this].
Contacts (android.process.acore) [I'm unable to launch it due to this].

I don't think any other apps are experiencing this. I'm wanting to take advantage of this occurrence to change ROMs. Is it safe to perform a backup of everything but restore data only after flashing the new ROM? Or if I restore SMS and MMS messages will that carry over the errors? Calendar and contacts data is all contained in either google or yahoo accounts etc cloud stored; and swype has no data I need to retain that I'm aware of. The only other app data to be saved is time recording (work hours tracker). Everything else is simply account log ins and minor stuff that is of no consequence to manually setup again.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
I'm getting "The application xxxxxxxxxxx (process xxxxxx.xxxxxx.xxxxx) has stopped unexpectedly. Please try again." for the following things:

Google Services Framework (com.google.process.gapps)
Messaging (com.android.mms) [I'm unable to launch it due to this].
Swype (com.swype.android) [pops up on an interval as android tries and relaunches it].
Calendar (com.android.calendar) [I'm unable to launch it due to this].
Contacts (android.process.acore) [I'm unable to launch it due to this].

I don't think any other apps are experiencing this. I'm wanting to take advantage of this occurrence to change ROMs. Is it safe to perform a backup of everything but restore data only after flashing the new ROM? Or if I restore SMS and MMS messages will that carry over the errors? Calendar and contacts data is all contained in either google or yahoo accounts etc cloud stored; and swype has no data I need to retain that I'm aware of. The only other app data to be saved is time recording (work hours tracker). Everything else is simply account log ins and minor stuff that is of no consequence to manually setup again.

I would flash whatever ROM it is your interested in and run it as is for awhile.. Make sure things are cool, then one by one (make Nandroid backups in CWM just in case) restore your stuff.. Eventually you will find your problem...

Data only restores can still cause issues.... Try a journaling enabled ROM too.. ACE/midNIGHT..

StoneRyno

Jan 5, 2011
Visit site
The ROM I intend on changing to is midnight ROM (journaling on version). I kind of like having all of the call log history and SMS/MMS messages. If they are found to be the culprit of the errors I'm assuming the error messages will start up right away after the data is restored? I'm almost certain one of these errors is sync related since in sync settings there are three accounts with red icons and a message indicating sync is experiencing problems.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
The ROM I intend on changing to is midnight ROM (journaling on version). I kind of like having all of the call log history and SMS/MMS messages. If they are found to be the culprit of the errors I'm assuming the error messages will start up right away after the data is restored? I'm almost certain one of these errors is sync related since in sync settings there are three accounts with red icons and a message indicating sync is experiencing problems.
Could very well be the restore of your txts. Have you tried using SMS backup and restore from the Market? Its free and being a Market app you may have better success without conflicts arising... It will backup your stuff to sdcard for you.

StoneRyno

Jan 5, 2011
Visit site
Strange thing is that this started happening out of the blue. I had been running fine for weeks. I searched for sms backup and restore and it appears there are several with that same name. Do you know which one is the one I should be downloading?

jrz5024

Dec 12, 2010
Visit site
Strange thing is that this started happening out of the blue. I had been running fine for weeks. I searched for sms backup and restore and it appears there are several with that same name. Do you know which one is the one I should be downloading?

I know which program Paul is talking about, it's written by Ritesh Sahu - it works well, I've used it before. Alternately, Go SMS or Handcent both allow you to back up text messages automatically to their server, which is much more convenient imo than manually converting them all to an xml file (which is what that program does).

StoneRyno

Jan 5, 2011
Visit site
Good news is restoring my SMS and MMS messages and call logs didn't cause any issues as of yet. However I am using ACE 2.0 instead of midnight ROM. I refrained from restoring any other app data from device backup. I did however use the built in backup and restore for the work hours app and ADWlauncher, everything else I simply configured again manually. The reason I went with ACE ROM was because after flashing midnight ROM base, and reflashing 5 more times, (doing 3x wipes as normal for each) I would get force close errors when trying to view device info part of options and in the initial setup app that runs on first boot each time. Since I wanted my device working for every day use I decided to postpone the idea of using midnight ROM until I find out why I was having problems with it before adding/restoring anything to it and after so many reflashes.

joedig52

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
know i'm a little late in the game to reply, typically those force closes pop up if you are using a rom with journaling disabled and the battery is pulled without properly shutting down or phone loses power for some reason or it freezes. For future reference i've had luck backing up a rom, reflashing it and restoring the back-up and everything worked ok, but for best results take paul's advice and use a rom w/journaling enabled like ace 2.0

StoneRyno

Jan 5, 2011
Visit site
I reboot my device after fully charging. Which generally is about every 36-48 hours. So my guess is that the last reboot didn't cleanly shut things down and caused the problems. I'll be using ACE for the next 4 weeks or so and then I may try another ROM to see what they are like.

sammockba

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site
Re: force close (apps not responding); want to backup before swit

my tab does not respond at all. only force close calendar stopped unexpectedly appear. How to fix this please

monkey30butt

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
Re: force close (apps not responding); want to backup before swit

my tab does not respond at all. only force close calendar stopped unexpectedly appear. How to fix this please

Ok, by tab do you mean tablet? If so what is it?

Anyway, we need to know if you are stock or rooted and what ROM you're running.

If you're stock a hard reset may be needed.

Need more info on the problem.
BTW: this post was 8 months old Dude......

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress