Bonsai new beta v4.1.1

Status
Not open for further replies.

anon(67968)

Oct 4, 2010
Visit site
I'm still somewhat new to the whole flashing process but am getting pretty comfortable with it. I've flashed a few ROMs and had been on SFR 1.1.0 for a couple of weeks before deciding to give this newest Bonsai a try. Been on it for about 16 hours now and this thing is very solid. I've flashed a couple of themes and am currently running the FrostPort 1.1(love it) with no problems. Battery seems very nice, at least comparable to SFR 1.1.0 if not slightly better-not enough time to really compare. The new CWM has been working fine and I like how there aren't as many "no" lines to scroll through to verify wiping. I flashed the B36 kernel and have been running it 112000/100 ondemand. Very satisfied with the battery life and performance. I'm running journaling off and haven't had any FCs or really any hiccups at all, I haven't had any issues with journaling off in the past. It's very responsive and quick and just seems extremely solid. One question I do have-what is the difference between the "ondemand" setting and the "smartass" setting? Are there any pros or cons to running the smartass? I switched off a few times during the day and didn't really notice much of a difference in performance but hadn't really tested long enough to see which was best for battery.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
The smartass governor setting is what Bonsai's kernel is designed to run best at. So for maximum battery/performance by Bonsai's standards I would leave it set there.

Reactions: anon(67968)

anon(67968)

Oct 4, 2010
Visit site
Anyone here running the Bonsai 4.1.1 Beta having issues with audio when the screen turns off?

Just got back from my morning run using Epic for music and running this ROM, 4.5 miles and no problems with audio, I'll try it in my car on the way to work this morning.

scoob

Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
Just got back from my morning run using Epic for music and running this ROM, 4.5 miles and no problems with audio, I'll try it in my car on the way to work this morning.

Dang, 4:44AM and you already did a 4.5mile run. Good work.

-totally off topic- do you use a tracking program like Endomondo or Sportypal? If so, how is the GPS on it with this ROM. I am using Endomondo Pro now.

I just got access to the donation site and will check the ROM out now.

anon(67968)

Oct 4, 2010
Visit site
Dang, 4:44AM and you already did a 4.5mile run. Good work.

-totally off topic- do you use a tracking program like Endomondo or Sportypal? If so, how is the GPS on it with this ROM. I am using Endomondo Pro now.

I just got access to the donation site and will check the ROM out now.

Hahaha well I live in Atlanta, I'd rather do it early in the morning than in the afternoon when it's a thousand degrees with humidity, Plus I just seem to usually be up around that time, sometimes a little nap after is nice ;p (actually that was 5:44am my time)

I really haven't tried any tracking programs on my phone, I usually just use my Garmin, I might give a shot tomorrow morning and I'll let you know which one and how it seemed to do. I know this isn't ROM specific but if I tested...Is it possible to run 2 or more GPS tracking programs at once? Say if I were to run Endomondo and Sportypal at the same time to compare results on a known route that I have mapped regularly with my Garmin GPS to see how they match up?

Used my Epic to listen to music on the way to work and some this morning at work and still haven't encountered any sound issues with this ROM

Last edited:

scoob

Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
Interesting question about using 2 GPS programs at once. Dunno the answer to that one. Maybe you can tell us all how it went.

Good luck. 5:44 run is still a bit early for me.

anon(67968)

Oct 4, 2010
Visit site
Scoob:

I tried Endomono, SportyPal, and RunKeeper all at the same time on my long 10 mile run this morning. GPS worked very well on all of them. There was a total of 2 second difference in time between those three and my Garmin and .07 mile was the max difference between the 4. Endomono and RunKeeper both showed a .02 mile difference from my Garmin and SportyPal .07 mile off. SportyPal was the last I stopped at the end of my run so maybe that had a little to do with it. GPS seems to be working great and I guess you can run multiple GPS programs like those at once.

I've been using this ROM for a couple days now and it just seems rock solid. I am really liking it. Seems there is a new Kernel version out, B38 so I might flash that in a bit. Just very happy with this ROM, I tried the 4.0.1 and it just didn't click for me, but this one has me hooked for now.

scoob

Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the update diestarbucks.

I just loaded this ROM a few days ago and like it a lot too.

I am using Elixir to monitor the CPU speen and my Epic seems to hang around at 1-1.1Ghz most of the time with a few dips into the 800. Maybe that's why it stays responsive.

Randytw1

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
I went to Bonsai website and signed up. Made my donation. When I went to the early access page it says restricted access. I went ahead and downloaded Bonsai 4.0.1. Is that the file I should be using?

Randytw1

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
After a little more donation i finally got Bonsai 4.1.1b38. First thing I noticed was gmail kept force closing. I cleared data on that app. and everything on that went good. Then I tried to update some apps. When I did that it downloaded the apps, but when trying to install the updates the phone would reboot without installing the updates. Any thought on this?

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
After a little more donation i finally got Bonsai 4.1.1b38. First thing I noticed was gmail kept force closing. I cleared data on that app. and everything on that went good. Then I tried to update some apps. When I did that it downloaded the apps, but when trying to install the updates the phone would reboot without installing the updates. Any thought on this?
Sounds like you need to boot into CWM and try first clearing cache/dalvik cache. If this keeps happening afterwards you might have to wipe everything in CWM and reflash the ROM.

scoob

Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
The smartass governor setting is what Bonsai's kernel is designed to run best at. So for maximum battery/performance by Bonsai's standards I would leave it set there.

Is there any use in undervolting with this ROM? I havent messed with SetCPU or anything since installing Bonsai.

anon(67968)

Oct 4, 2010
Visit site
I dunno, on SFR I messed around with set CPU speed quite a bit. Other than swapping between ondemand and smartass the first day on this ROM I have just kept it on smartass and haven't had any need or reason to change anything. I've been running it at 112000/100 with no problems or complaints. I still haven't flashed the b38 Kernel because I've been lazy today.

anon(67968)

Oct 4, 2010
Visit site
I have to say, I was not a fan of Bonsai 4.0.1. Just didn't do anything for me at all. I loved SFR, and Pauls ACE was very stable as well. But geeze is this new Bonsai stable. I am in love with this. I keep thinking "I want to keep tinkering with my phone" but I just cant see any reason why I should. Battery life is good, everything works, I like the new CWM. This sucker just rocks. Now on to learning to theme!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol